Who designed the SS Deaths head emblem and lightning bolts?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
headwest

Who designed the SS Deaths head emblem and lightning bolts?

Post by headwest » 24 Feb 2017, 21:26

Just always wondered if there was a person who came up with these?

Thanks

Konrad B.

Re: Who designed the SS Deaths head emblem and lightning bolts?

Post by Konrad B. » 25 Feb 2017, 02:55

headwest wrote:Just always wondered if there was a person who came up with these?

Thanks
Hello, i'm the grandson of an early Allgemeine SS & Ahnenerbe member and when my grandfather was still alive i asked him the same.
First of all, Himmler wanted to carry on the tradition of the "Schwarze Husaren" and their emblem of the Totenkopf with 2 crossed bones. But i think this is pretty obvious to everyone. In fact, the first time this emblem of the death's head came to be was in 1813.
But i also wondered why it was re-designed and who wanted this and got it into motion. My grandfather said that Karl Maria Wiligut designed the newer skull version himself, Himmler apparently asked for it to be re-designed and according to my grandfather, Mr. Wiligut was always extremly eager to do anything for Himmler, in order to stay safe within SS ranks.
My grandfather who was working in the cultural and ethnological area of the Ahnenerbe always used to call Wiligut a "funny man, who's only funny until you realize he believes everything single thing he tells you about."

Concerning the double Sig-Runes. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armanen_runes
See the Sig-Rune? The SS-symbol is a stylized and cursive rendition of it. According to my grandfather, also the idea of Wiligut.

That said, while i trust my grandfather and inherited countless of documents, photos and other items dealing with these topics, still take it with a grain of salt, since it's still just anecdotes. Maybe someone here has documents about this and Wiligut.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 25 Feb 2017, 05:23

Well, symbol had been in use for hundreds of years before adopted by Julius Schreck for Stosstrupp Hitler.

headwest

Post by headwest » 25 Feb 2017, 15:35

@konrad - Thank you VERY much for that info, that was very interesting to read! i will look into it more now that i have a starting place. very cool

@greg - thanks for the info on Julius as well, i didnt realize he had worked on it.

thank you both!

Max

Post by Max » 23 Mar 2017, 06:30

Greetings from the Wide Brown.

WW2HistoryHunter

Post by WW2HistoryHunter » 23 Apr 2017, 21:34

Konrad B. wrote:
headwest wrote:Just always wondered if there was a person who came up with these?

Thanks
Hello, i'm the grandson of an early Allgemeine SS & Ahnenerbe member and when my grandfather was still alive i asked him the same.
First of all, Himmler wanted to carry on the tradition of the "Schwarze Husaren" and their emblem of the Totenkopf with 2 crossed bones. But i think this is pretty obvious to everyone. In fact, the first time this emblem of the death's head came to be was in 1813.
But i also wondered why it was re-designed and who wanted this and got it into motion. My grandfather said that Karl Maria Wiligut designed the newer skull version himself, Himmler apparently asked for it to be re-designed and according to my grandfather, Mr. Wiligut was always extremly eager to do anything for Himmler, in order to stay safe within SS ranks.
My grandfather who was working in the cultural and ethnological area of the Ahnenerbe always used to call Wiligut a "funny man, who's only funny until you realize he believes everything single thing he tells you about."

Concerning the double Sig-Runes. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armanen_runes
See the Sig-Rune? The SS-symbol is a stylized and cursive rendition of it. According to my grandfather, also the idea of Wiligut.

That said, while i trust my grandfather and inherited countless of documents, photos and other items dealing with these topics, still take it with a grain of salt, since it's still just anecdotes. Maybe someone here has documents about this and Wiligut.
That is pretty interesting that your grandfather was an Allgemeine SS member! Would love to hear some of his stories one day if you would e willing to share some.

Albert Ahnen

Post by Albert Ahnen » 09 Mar 2020, 18:11

This is a message to Konrad B. I´m preparing a book on Ahnenerbe (since 5 years) in Spain, and I have a lot of info on this matter. I would like have more info about your Grandpa,l it will be interesting, concerning Ahnenerbe. Thanks

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”