Premature Victory Claims

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
krimsonglass51

Premature Victory Claims

Post by krimsonglass51 » 10 Mar 2017, 07:34

The intro to Hugh Trevor Roper's "Hitler's War Directives" states that during WWII, Hitler claimed victory several times early in the war.
The exact quote from the book, "on several occasions between 1939 and 1942, claimed to have won it."

I haven't seen such claims in the directives or speeches that I have read. The only things that come close are directives talking about the imminent collapse of the Red Army, and speeches about grand victories in 1940.

Are there any statements from Hitler where he explicitly claimed to have won the war?

GregSingh

Re: Premature Victory Claims

Post by GregSingh » 15 Mar 2017, 09:45

krimsonglass51 wrote:Are there any statements from Hitler where he explicitly claimed to have won the war?
Not that I recall, either.

In early years he always mentioned a victory after a successful campaign, but that was in relation to that particular campaign, not the whole war.
Each time he stated that his belief in final victory was unshakable.
But in near all New Year addresses he hoped that final victory will be achieved by the end of the year !

The closest to claiming a final victory, I can think of, was in his personal conversation with Franco after French campaign in 1940, when he said:
“England has already been beaten for good. It is simply not yet ready to admit this fact.”

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”