Spuren der Vergangenheit

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Mannheim

Spuren der Vergangenheit

Post by Mannheim » 10 Sep 2017, 08:36

Apologies if this is old news but I am in Nuremberg and last night was channel surfing when I chanced upon a program called "Spuren der Vergangenheit: Obersalzburg" on the National Geographic ntv. It was excellent: great footage of the building of the Berghof and of its use. At one stage a woman pulls out architectural drawings of the Bormann house and the Gutshof. I missed the start so I don't know if she showed drawings of the Berghof but some French museum curator showed some great relics from the Berghof. It would be well worth tracking down but I only have my miserly mini iPad so I can't do any detective work until I return home in six weeks. Also there was an American guide on the Obersalzberg providing commentary. Could this be Geoff? If not, it should have been.
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

Geoff Walden

Re: Spuren der Vergangenheit

Post by Geoff Walden » 10 Sep 2017, 15:52

Yes, that's me, but I haven't seen it. My German friends told me about it. That was filmed last June for French TV, and it was shown there a few months ago. It should also appear in English, part of the "Hidden Traces" series, but I don't know when or where it will be broadcast in English.

Hope you are having a great trip in Franken! Have some Nuernberger Rostbratwurst for me!

Geoff
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 10 Sep 2017, 16:52

I thought it might be you, Geoff. I went out to the rally grounds today and there are now multiple billboards in three languages describing the attempts to save the structure. It looks like they are really making an effort. There is however a plan to allow visitors up to where the columns were through a staircase or lift. The hole is already there. I'm hoping they didn't cut one into the roof. I'll post photos when I get home as this mini iPad is causing me grief.
P.S. Rest assured: I had an excellent meal at Karl's Bruckla (just down from Josefsplatz) yesterday and am working my way through some Tucher and Zirndorfer beers.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 10 Sep 2017, 17:05

The hole ... Is that one of the original staircases, that they cleared of rubble several years ago now? That was when they fenced off the upper platform where the columns were, and covered over the original staircase openings with plywood.
And some Lebkuchen!
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 11 Sep 2017, 07:32

Yes, I believe that's the one. If you stand on the playing field facing the Tribune, it's on the right where the columns used to be. I'm off to Munich today but will see if I can post a photo or two of the hole in question - but don't hold your breath.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 12 Sep 2017, 08:54

I am using a mini iPad with which I am not familiar. Here's hoping. Nope, file too large. Will try again.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 12 Sep 2017, 09:02

Second try, Geoff:
Attachments
image.jpeg

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”