the bunker

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Roderick

the bunker

Post by Roderick » 26 May 2003 12:13

Can anybody help me?
The BUNKER where Hitler died in 1945, what is nowadays? What's the address?
I'll travel to Berlin next month and I intend to go there.

Rod

varjag
Financial supporter

Post by varjag » 26 May 2003 13:10

You will stand on a parking-lot and childrens playground behind a rental-housing development in Wilhelmstrasse and, amongst the VW's and Opels - contemplate the spot where, under your feet, the collapsed remnants of the Führerbunker - still is lurching. Like - someone said - a concrete U-boat slowly edging it's way into German history.

Panther

Bunker

Post by Panther » 26 May 2003 13:44

But instead there are a lot of old museums in ost prussia. With hundreds of photographs. And a museum in the ardennes, with old german tanks! Hopefully they are still there as I intend to visit them aswell in the near future. :D

/Panther

wenty

Post by wenty » 27 May 2003 07:24

Yes, there is only a small underground part of the bunker left, after it was mostly debunked to make way for construction in the mid 1980's. Although there's not much of that left, there are still many other wonderful sites to visit. Like the Zeppelin Tribune, which is still there and almost the same and open to the public. You can even eat a meal at the Eagles Nest or get a hotel room at the Berghof. :lol: For more info about these sites visit: http://www.thirdreichruins.com . Cheers. :D

CHRISCHA
Financial supporter

Post by CHRISCHA » 27 May 2003 10:03

As part of a historic tour I did last year I visited the site in a group with an ex CIA US Berliner tourguide (true).
There is indeed a childrens playground and the entrance to the Fuhrer bunker is pretty much underneath the position of two huge plain trees.

Morgoth

Post by Morgoth » 27 May 2003 10:05

wenty wrote:Yes, there is only a small underground part of the bunker left, after it was mostly debunked to make way for construction in the mid 1980's. Although there's not much of that left, there are still many other wonderful sites to visit. Like the Zeppelin Tribune, which is still there and almost the same and open to the public. You can even eat a meal at the Eagles Nest or get a hotel room at the Berghof. :lol: For more info about these sites visit: http://www.thirdreichruins.com . Cheers. :D
There seems to be a mistake here: the Berghof doesn't exist anymore. It was destroyed in an air raid attack in april 1945, plundered by american soldiers and completely demolished in the few 1950's. There is nearly not a single trace of it nowadays.

Nick Pears

Post by Nick Pears » 27 May 2003 10:19

When I did the history tour of Berlin in the early nineties, the bunker was slap bang in the middle of a construction site, there were weeds growing everywhere and absolutely no way of telling that it was the bunker, apart from the tour guide's information. It was literally a concrete slab.

varjag
Financial supporter

Post by varjag » 27 May 2003 11:21

There was a lot of hullabaloo in the late 80-ties/early 90-ties when construction work revealed a portion of a relatively intact bunker-room on the site which from media pictures, seemed to have been some sort of a mess-room - with some Nazi - murals on the walls. Anything within a mile of the actual Tiefbunker in which Hitler died, was of course revealed as 'the Führer-bunker' and this one was no exception, the media made the most of it. Can anyone tell what and where - this was and what happened to it? I - at the time gathered that it was connected to the underground garages in the western portion of the area - near the former Hermann Göringstrasse but the factual information provided was so obfuscated it was impossible to make a balanced opinion of what they had found.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 27 May 2003 15:32

Varjag,

That bunker with the murals has been called the SS-Fahrerbunker (drivers bunker). It is still there, beneath the area where the Holocaust memorial is being built - same location you stated. I haven't heard that it was ever open to the public.

All,

You can get info on the location of the Fuehrerbunker remains at http://www.thirdreichruins.com/berlin2.htm . Although many guides say the remains are beneath that playground, they are actually further out from the buildings than that. The remains are under that grass parking lot at the end of the newer street called In der Ministergaerten. It's pretty easy to pin down the site location by correlating 1945 and modern aerial photos.

Geoff Walden

varjag
Financial supporter

Post by varjag » 28 May 2003 01:59

Thanks Geoff for that clarification, Varjag

wenty

Post by wenty » 28 May 2003 07:07

Morgoth, Berchtesgaden in a Ski Resort/Hotel nowadays. Sorry, i meant Berchtesgaden, not Berghof. :oops:
P.S. I thought they were the same thing. :?

wenty

Post by wenty » 28 May 2003 07:09

Also, Geoff, congratulations on a great site, i have been browsing through there in the last few days and it is a very nice site with loads of good info. :D I recommend it to everyone. Cheers. :D

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”