German version of the D-Day by O.S.S.

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
wm

German version of the D-Day by O.S.S.

Post by wm » 04 Nov 2017, 16:48

Created by the U.S. Navy's Industrial Incentive Division and the Office of Strategic Service (OSS) during WWII, this "Nazi version" of the Normandy invasion is a translated, authentic German newsreel. The strategy at work here is taken from Frank Capra, who used authentic enemy newsreels and motion picture films in his "Why We Fight" series to provide insight into the Axis. This film, like "Why We Fight", was intended to make its intended audience — American war workers to whom these types of incentive films were shown —outraged, helping them focus on the vital task of production.

Sheldrake

Re: German version of the D-Day by O.S.S.

Post by Sheldrake » 04 Nov 2017, 23:11

Interesting film.

Most, if not all of the footage was taken on the Caen and Bayeux, the British Second Army, sectors. i did not see any US prisoners (maybe I missed something.

As a Brit I take issue with the American Commentary that agreed that the assault on Ouistrehem has been repulsed for several day! With friendly PR like the US navy who needs Lord Haw-haw to sew dissent, or for the bollocks in Saving Private Ryan about the British making tea in front of Caen.

The airborne PW need no explanation. The North Nova Scotia PW may have been taken at Buron on 7th June. A dozen PW from his Regiment were killed by the SS at the Ardenne Abbey. I suspect the knocked out Shemans were either from Buron or from the 1st Hussars attack on 11th June. Some expert on this forum may know the answer.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”