The pomp & circumstance of a 1936 Hitler rally

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Virginia

The pomp & circumstance of a 1936 Hitler rally

Post by Virginia » 02 Jun 2018, 16:32

These 5 frames are from the first World at War series, this is the accompanying audio:

"Each year the farmers and their wives gathered at the Buckeberg to meet their Fuhrer at harvest time. In 1936, those who stood and waited for the leader numbered one million..."

1. Hitler goes up the steps with his entourage
2. he salutes
3. the "master of ceremonies" soldier gives a short bow and they shake hands
4. they both salute
5. the soldier turns and joins the entourage

Is there a specific name for this type of military ceremony, and who or what is the title of the "master of ceremonies"? It's wonderful that so much military history has been captured on film, but sometimes the meaning of what is shown is lost as time goes by.
pomp.jpg

GregSingh

Re: The pomp & circumstance of a 1936 Hitler rally

Post by GregSingh » 03 Jun 2018, 07:35

:welcome:

Commentaries added to original video footage after 50-60 years are not always correct.
Presence of guard of honour and reviewing troops by an important visitor was/is usually a part of any official ceremony.
I somehow doubt that a military commander of company/battalion size unit would be a "master of ceremony" of Harvest Thanksgiving Festival in Bückeberg...

Virginia

Post by Virginia » 03 Jun 2018, 16:47

Hi GregSingh, thank you for your reply. I used the term "master of ceremonies" very broadly and loosely only because he is the greeter. I like your explanation that he may just be a military commander of a company or battalion -- but did Hitler include a handshake during the reviewing of troops?

I still believe this is somehow part of a public celebration. This is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b4g4ZZNC1E

The Harvest Festival starts at 24:50 and wraps up two minutes later at 26:55 with an interview with Heipke Remer, a "farmer's daughter". The greeting takes place about midway. All the people here look as if they are dressed for St Patrick's Day, so it doesn't seem like a random excerpt of film.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 04 Jun 2018, 23:09

The harvest festival on the Bückeberg was an annual event from 1933-1937. Because it was a harvest thanksgiving festival, there was a lot of participation for farmer families, and many of these were dressed in their traditional "peasant clothing" (Trachten), some of which could be very elaborate and sometimes even bizarre to modern eyes (and likely to 1930s eyes as well, at least those of urban dwellers).

Then-and-now photos -- http://thirdreichruins.com/misc_sites8.htm#bueckeberg .

Welcome to AHF!
:welcome:
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 05 Jun 2018, 00:59

Thanks, Geoff. The annual harvest festivals were certainly cultural events much more so than military occasions, and by attending these festivals and making them seem like an even bigger deal than they normally were, this is how Hitler endeared himself to the people of the land.

Br. James

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”