What did the Nazis think of Indians and Chinese?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Lamarck

What did the Nazis think of Indians and Chinese?

Post by Lamarck » 27 Jun 2018 20:46

Albert Gorter, a prominent ministry official said in 1933 with regards to the Aryan Paragraph for the Civil Service:

The Aryans (also Indo-Germans, Japhetiten) are one of the three branches of the Caucasian (white race); they are divided into the western (European), that is the German, Roman, Greek, Slav, Lett, Celt [and] Albanesen, and the eastern (Asiatic) Aryans, that is the Indian (Hindu) and Iranian (Persian, Afghan, Armenian, Georgian, Kurd). Non-Aryans are therefore:
1. the members of the two other races, namely the Mongolian (yellow) and the Negroid (black) races;
2. the members of the other two branches of the Caucasian race, namely the Semites (Jews, Arabs) and Hamites (Berbers). The Finns and Hungarians belong to the Mongolian race; but it is hardly the intention of the law to treat them as non-Aryans. Thus . . . the non-Jewish members of all European Volk are Aryans. . . ."

Clearly, some Nazis were aware of the connection between the use of 'Aryan' and the Indians.

Hitler is alleged to have said the following about the Chinese and Japanese:

"Pride in one's own race – and that does not imply contempt for other races – is also a normal and healthy sentiment. I have never regarded the Chinese or the Japanese as being inferior to ourselves. They belong to ancient civilizations, and I admit freely that their past history is superior to our own. They have the right to be proud of their past, just as we have the right to be proud of the civilization to which we belong. Indeed, I believe the more steadfast the Chinese and the Japanese remain in their pride of race, the easier I shall find it to get on with them."

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”