Moltke Bridge: stupid question

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Mannheim

Moltke Bridge: stupid question

Post by Mannheim » 16 Sep 2018 08:38

This is probably in the wrong section but am I correct in thinking this photo is taken from the Reichstag side?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Max

Re: Moltke Bridge: stupid question

Post by Max » 16 Sep 2018 13:09

I imagine that they are German tanks defending the Reichstag precinct from the Russians coming over the bridge from the north.
Russian tanks on the bridge?
Berlin 1945.jpg
Moltke+Bridge ground level.JPG
Moltke+Bridge.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 16 Sep 2018 23:11

I think they are all Russian tanks, the photo having been taken some time after the battle. What concerns me is the lack of (damaged) buildings on the other side.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 17 Sep 2018 00:05

What concerns me is the lack of (damaged) buildings on the other side.
Look at the map attached by Max. There were not many buildings on the other side in the direction of which your photo was taken.
The corner building is visible on your photo as it was still standing. There were no buildings along the river from the corner building to Lehrter Station. Colonial museum building was demolished in 1920's.

Anti-tank barriers made from timber were only on one side of the bridge, Government District side.

I don't think there is any doubt your photo was taken exactly from this direction.
If we become increasingly humble about how little we know, we may be more eager to search.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 17 Sep 2018 05:12

OK, thanks. I am just trying to orientate a photo I took in c.1976. I'm guessing I must've been standing near the red-circled griffin (in the period photo), given there doesn't seem to be evidence of a damaged span in that photo. I'm guessing the damage is on the other, unseen,griffin side. I think the sign reads "Hier endet der britische Sektor" but my memory's not what it used to be. The brick repairs would suggest significant damage although I know the Russians repaired it enough to get heavy weapons across.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”