Building terminology insight

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Biber

Building terminology insight

Post by Biber » 08 Apr 2019 14:13

With regard to eastern European practice (eastern Poland/Ukraine) what exactly would be considered a 1 story building?

The reference I am working with refers to going upstairs to a hall and describes the basement as a suterene. What I am conflicted about is how many floors above the semi-basement (foundation-level) suterene would it be? - Suterene + ground/entry-level floor + first-floor or Suterene + ground/entry-level floor?

As always, any insight is sincerely appreciated.

Br. James

Re: Building terminology insight

Post by Br. James » 08 Apr 2019 20:08

As I understand it, what we in the USA refer to as "the first floor" of a building -- meaning the direct entrance level or 'ground floor' of the building -- is referred to in Europe as "the main floor." What we in the USA refer to as "the second floor" -- meaning the first level above the entrance level -- is referred to in Europe as "the first floor." I assume that levels above "the second floor" level in the USA -- the third floor and higher -- would be referred to by the same numbering system, though one number less; this would result in "the fourth floor" in USA terminology as being known as "the third floor" in Europe. I hope this is helpful.

Br. James

Biber

Post by Biber » 09 Apr 2019 01:06

Yes, but the question is - what would be considered a single story building ? a basement with two floors above or a single floor above?

1st floor
Ground/entry level or Ground/entry level
Suterene Suterene

What would an "einstöckig" building look like?

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 09 Apr 2019 09:45

"einstöckig" - ein Gebäude mit zwei Etagen:
1. Stock
Erdgeschoss
-------------------

As suterene is below the ground, it is not used in calculation of "storeys" / "stories" above the ground.
If we become increasingly humble about how little we know, we may be more eager to search.

Biber

Post by Biber » 09 Apr 2019 13:54

GregSingh wrote:
09 Apr 2019 09:45
"einstöckig" - ein Gebäude mit zwei Etagen:
1. Stock
Erdgeschoss
-------------------

As suterene is below the ground, it is not used in calculation of "storeys" / "stories" above the ground.
So this would be the case across Europe? Even eastward toward Russia?

What would a single floor above a suterene/below ground/foundation level be considered (suterene + ground floor)?

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 13 Apr 2019 09:34

I don't think all these terms have one, fixed meaning. So instead of concentrating on terms/definitions we should rather pay attention to description of particular building.
If we become increasingly humble about how little we know, we may be more eager to search.

Biber

Post by Biber » 14 Apr 2019 01:04

GregSingh -

This all concerns the partisan story I was working on a couple of years back. As I recall you were very helpful in the threads I started, for which I am very appreciative. I've started writing up what I found and hope to get a book out of it. I'm 43k words into it and there's no end in sight.

I'm trying to get a picture of what the "one-story" building in the story might actually be. Nothing more is said other than going upstairs and being in the basement. The direction I'm heading is that I've developed doubts that the amount of explosives mentioned in the story were enough to do much damage. At least not beyond blowing a hole in the foundation. I'm also trying to correlate buildings visible in German aerial target photos of the town (3 or four months later) with what is there today, and I have a hunch about what building it might be, possibly one that still exists. But there may be two options: a quite sizable and robust building (two floors above a basement) and a considerably smaller one (one floor above a walk-in basement). I favor the former but still need to rule out the latter.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”