Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker » 26 May 2019 21:22

Hello all, I just registered to join the Axis History Forum. I am very interested in the Obersalzberg and the Berghof. Mainly the operations staff that maintained it. My wife and I just got back from a 10 day trip to Berchtesgaden. We spent a few days on the Obersalzberg looking over the old sites, using Geoffrey Walden's book Hitlers Berchtesgaden as our guide. The book by the way, is great. Very detailed and with the descriptions, easy to find everything. Planned on staying at the Zum Türken but its closed due to heating repairs, mentioned they are not sure when it will open for guests. Türken bunkers were open however and we got to tour them. Eagles Nest was closed as well, lots of snow up there!
We booked a room down in Berchtesgaden and took the bus up to the Oversalzberg. Probably worked out for the best. Not to many services available up on the Oversalzberg. For us we made the best of it, visiting the whole area, including Salzburg and the impressive little town of Berchtesgaden.

SteveFBS

Re: New Member

Post by SteveFBS » 27 May 2019 00:53

Welcome to the forum, Duane!
Did you take any photos or shoot any footage you might be willing to share with us?

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 27 May 2019 02:19

Welcome, Duane, and thanks for the kind comments on my book! Glad you found it useful.
The Kehlsteinhaus is now planned (hopefully) to open on 6 June. This is the latest in my memory that it has ever opened for the season. There is still quite a bit of snow up there - just the other day a hiker from the Czech Republic died in a tragic fall from the Kehlstein walking path, due to trying to cross a snowfield.
Kehlsteinhaus webcam (if you haven't seen it) - https://www.feratel.com/en/webcams/germ ... gaden.html
:welcome:
Geoff
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker » 27 May 2019 19:43

Thanks, and Steve FBS we did take quite a few photos, I'll be going through them soon and I will post a few. Probably the same general photos that everyone else has, but there may be a different one too.
Geoff, I have that webcam shot bookmarked that I have been watching for a couple of years now-one with Berchtesgaden is good too. BTW when I was at the Berghof site last week, there was a guy with a copy of your book looking around reading it. Figured he was using it the same as I. I had mine with me in my pack as well. Pulled it out and showed him. He was from London, visiting the sites.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 27 May 2019 20:56

Hi Duanne, and welcome among us -- it's good to have you here!

I think you'll find that many of us have great regard for Geoff Walden and his book. Geoff and his brother, Greg, are wonderful assets here...and as friends, too!

It will be interesting to see your photos when you have the chance to put them up. I haven't visited the Obersalzberg since 1999 and so much has changed there, as with everywhere in the world!

Happy Memorial Day to you, and again, welcome!

Br. James

Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker » 27 May 2019 23:31

Thanks for the replys and welcome. The reason I joined this site is to have some of my questions answered. I have several books that I wanted members comments on, so I will repost in a new thread on this section of Propaganda, Culture & Arch. I'm working on my pics of the Oversalzberg taken last week as well. Should have them posted soon too. Thanks

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 28 May 2019 21:17

Duane Becker wrote:
27 May 2019 19:43
BTW when I was at the Berghof site last week, there was a guy with a copy of your book looking around reading it. Figured he was using it the same as I. I had mine with me in my pack as well. Pulled it out and showed him. He was from London, visiting the sites.
You've seen something there that I've not seen (yet).
:milwink:
Maybe I can see a sight like that when I am there in July.
Geoff
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 28 May 2019 22:59

You're a better man than I am, Duane, getting a bus up those roads when they've got snow on them. But then again I don't even like being this tall ...

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”