HDK Josef Wahl Painting Owned by Hitler

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Geoff Walden

HDK Josef Wahl Painting Owned by Hitler

Post by Geoff Walden » 15 Apr 2020, 19:26

A painting that Hitler bought at the 1937 Greater German Art Exhibition in the Haus der Deutschen Kunst in Munich is in a collection in the States, brought home by a U.S. Army officer stationed in Berchtesgaden in the late 1950s. The painting came out of the office of the commander of the Army Berchtesgaden Recreation Center in the Kanzlei in Stanggass, which had previously been an office for Hitler (although I'm not sure he ever used it).

The painting is "Müde Hände" (Tired Hands) by Josef Wahl, painted in 1933 or 1934. Records show that Hitler bought it in 1937. Has anyone ever seen this painting on a wall anywhere, in a period photo? I have searched through my photos of the Berghof, the Kanzlei, the Kehlsteinhaus, AH's apartment in Munich, the Führerbau, and the Braunes Haus, and I don't see this painting anywhere. Maybe someone else can pick it out, or tell us where Hitler kept it. Thanks!
Attachments
WahlJosefMuedeHaendeHDK1937.jpg
WahlJosefMuedeHaendeHDK1937.jpg (64.37 KiB) Viewed 4527 times
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Br. James

Re: HDK Josef Wahl Painting Owned by Hitler

Post by Br. James » 16 Apr 2020, 21:41

Thanks so much for sharing this piece with us, Geoff...quite a powerful and evocative portrait! It calls to mind my grandfather, who spent his life as a carpenter by trade...how I miss him today! Sorry to say that I can't help your efforts to locate where this painting was displayed in any of Hitler's residences.

Br. James

ghostsoldier

Re: HDK Josef Wahl Painting Owned by Hitler

Post by ghostsoldier » 16 Apr 2020, 22:57

Nice photo...thanks for sharing, Geoff.

My grandfather was also a carpenter by trade, which he continued after his service in WW2 as a member of the 10th Armored Division in Germany. :)

Rob
"Even God cannot change the past. "
-Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC)

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”