Nazi distortion of the Sleeping Beauty fairytale

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Cantankerous

Nazi distortion of the Sleeping Beauty fairytale

Post by Cantankerous » 26 Jul 2020, 22:16

I was watching a Walt Disney propaganda cartoon titled Education for Death and I found out that the Nazis distorted the fairy tale of Sleeping Beauty whereby Sleeping Beauty was used to represent Germany, the Wicked Witch was used to represent democracy, and the knight in shining armor who defeated the witch and broke the spell that the witch cast on Sleeping Beauty was used to represent Hitler. The Nazi version of Sleeping Beauty therefore prompted the Nazi regime to commission a portrait of Hitler as a knight in shining armor, and the depiction of democracy as the wicked witch reinforced Hitler's view of democracy as a Jewish invention. There's a Youtube link for Education for Death if you want to see the Nazi distortion of the Sleeping Beauty fairytale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7b4BpiOMpI (part about Nazi version of the Sleeping Beauty fairytale at 3:03-5:11)
painting-the-standard-bearer.jpg
Portrait of Hitler as a knight in shining armor
painting-the-standard-bearer.jpg (76.9 KiB) Viewed 3388 times

steevh

Re: Nazi distortion of the Sleeping Beauty fairytale

Post by steevh » 15 Aug 2020, 13:19

That's very ironic.

I don't think there has been any greater distorter of German fairy tales than Walt Disney himself.

I was quite surprised when I read some of the originals as to how dark they were -- nothing like the dreadful 'child-friendly' Disneyfied versions!!.

hambubger

Re: Nazi distortion of the Sleeping Beauty fairytale

Post by hambubger » 15 Aug 2020, 13:33

That's just the tip of the iceberg. They did a lot more than just "Sleeping Beauty." Excellent post/share (thanks), and here's an article on some more details of the Brothers Grimm tales during the Third Reich:

https://www.history.com/news/the-dark-s ... tepsisters.
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes." – Mark Twain.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”