Mein Kampf shortage?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
J. Duncan

Mein Kampf shortage?

Post by J. Duncan » 29 Dec 2020, 01:35

Does anybody know why abebooks.com has 0 copies, used or otherwise of Hitler’s Mein Kampf?
Is something going on or what? I know Amazon back in March announced they wouldn’t sell it but they changed their policy back several days later.
Weird. A Mein Kampf shortage or a ban on the book? I don’t need a copy but was searching for a particular edition and discovered there were none at all. I’ve never seen this before.
Attachments
19ED9CF0-D116-45D4-84F8-38F4FB60815D.jpeg

ostland

Re: Mein Kampf shortage?

Post by ostland » 30 Dec 2020, 11:48

Well, that leaves you getting married to obtain one from the Reich Ministry :lol:
"Merken Sie sich eins; bei uns zu Haus' sind nur die Mannschaften Ostmärker. Die Herren Offiziere sind Österreicher! Servus Doktorchen!"

andrek

Post by andrek » 30 Dec 2020, 14:51

I don't know the rules in other countries, but in Germany only so-called commented editions are allowed. An original from 1944 (for example) is confiscated by the police during a house search. In the recent past even Hitler Youth knives and medals with a swastika were confiscated.

As far as online retailers are concerned, I bought my edition two years ago from Amazon Germany. The seller was a German antiquarian.

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 30 Dec 2020, 22:09

Thanks for response Andrek. Yes, I am aware of European bans on the book, including Germany.

I think Amazon is only selling the more current Ralph Mannheim edition with the foreword by former ADL chief Abe Foxman.

I was trying to price one of the editions I currently have by looking it up . In the past, there were always a hundred or so various editions listed and now there is zero. I just found it odd and was asking if anyone heard anything about it’s sale being barred. I doubt there was “a run” on the book . Maybe sellers or Abe got “woke” and decided not to sell it anymore.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 30 Dec 2020, 22:45

In the 1970s here in Germany, the standard edition of "Mein Kampf" was sold in ordinary bookshops for about 25,- german Marks.

At least in the bookshops of the family, standing next to the so called "Mao-Bible".
Also, some of the books from the former "RAF" (Rote Armee Fraktion) were available.
Several books were "confiscated" later, "Mein Kampf", never.

The few printed "RAF" books are very rare nowadays, no question about all this.

The very few RAF Books were printed in Danmark, and Sweden back then, rare stuff nowadays...

Hans1906
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 31 Dec 2020, 03:23

Interesting. I remember Red Army Faction.
I think I still have an old book on them. It’s titled
“Hitler’s Children” (go figure). Yes, Mao was their source of inspiration.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 02 Jan 2021, 14:41

I was talking about the 1977 book "Texte: der RAF" (RAF = "Rote Armee Fraktion")
"Rote Armee Fraktion": https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rote_Armee_Fraktion

"Texte: der RAF" (Book) Link to the german Wikipedia: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texte:_der_RAF

As the owners of a chain of north german bookshops we received a copy in german language directly from Sweden, the books were indexed and confiscated in march 1978 by the german authorities.

Hans1906

P.S. The 1977 edition is av. via the ZVAB antiquarian books internet portal, for the most expensive copy 836,- Euro are demanded, from a german antiquarian bookshop in the city of Marburg.
Link: https://www.zvab.com/servlet/SearchResu ... F&sortby=1

P.S.S. A former bookseller in one of our family's bookstores was monitored for years by the german Office for the Protection of the Constitution.
German term was and still is the "Verfassungsschutz".
I do not like to mention the name of the man, he is a very popular folk singer in Germany nowadays.
In the backroom of one of our bookshops, he and his friends had founded a so called "Rote Zelle", and our family business was under the
investigation of the german Verfassungsschutz for several years back then.

A former RAD comrade of my grandfather was a high ranking member of the german Verfassungsschutz in these years,
and the man kept a lot of trouble away from our family, my mother and grandmother were not able, to handle all this.
Very strange times in the 1970s...
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 02 Jan 2021, 18:40

Interesting personal story. Yes, I understood you were talking about original text put out BY the
RAF. I mentioned my book because it’s the only one I possess on that radical group from the 1970’s , which is a journalistic work in English.
With such a title, you can assume it’s against them.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 02 Jan 2021, 19:34

I don't want to write more about it, my grandmother was a born Folkerts, and the well-known former RAF terrorist Knut Folkerts was and is a very close relative.

Knut Folkerts: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knut_Folkerts

His father was a very good and beloved friend of my grandmother, his nickname was "Rudi".
I remember Rudi sitting at the table in our house, and he said to my grandmother: "I wish I had never fathered this son."
Strange, something you never forget.

P.S. I have the 1977 edition still in my collection.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 02 Jan 2021, 22:34

I still remember my mother, opening the unclaimed package from Sweden, she handed the book over to the German police that very day, and only a few days later we received the book back.

To complex, to big, the local police could do absolutely nothing with the book, reading was not an option at that time.

After a few days, the book was returned.
The book was not sold at that time.

Compared to "Mein Kampf" probably rare nowadays, we will see in the future...

Hans1906

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”