Surving Fascist Architecture

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
FREGATTE
Location: Crawley, West Sussex, England, Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Surving Fascist Architecture

Post by FREGATTE » 31 Dec 2020, 09:40

When I began my travels through Europe, in the 1950's, I recall that I was surprised at the number of non military, buildings, inspired by right wing politics, which were still standing.

I later concluded their survival was likely due to, some of the following reasons:-

They were too big and expensive to pull down (given that people had more pressing problems, requiring their attention).

The buildings were needed to serve their designed purpose.

Once any offending inscriptions or symbols were removed, the buildings could be used for the public good, without causing distress to people who had suffered under the regimes.

Nowdays, with the aid of Google Maps and Google Earth, I can view structures from my computer. In the 1970's I visited the Maschsee artificial lake in the city of Hannover, then in West Germany.On the side of the lake, at the north-west corner, was a pylon, giving details of the construction of the area in the 1930's. On top of the pylon was a bronze(??) statue, in the style of Arno Breker. On the side, at ground level, was a carved, stone eagle in the then current (ie 1933 - 1945) style. Only the Hakenkreuz had been removed.

Also a number of structures designed by the italian architect Marcello Placentini, still survive and are in use.

Well it gives me something to do, during the long days we are in lockdown!

Kindest regards,
Christopher

FREGATTE
Location: Crawley, West Sussex, England, Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Re: Surving Facist Architecture

Post by FREGATTE » 05 Jan 2021, 17:41

Subject should read "Surviving (ie still there!) Fascist Architecture. But, although I have consulted the Help guide I cannot find the "EDIT" button.
Mea Culpa - None so blind as those who cannot see etc.

Kindest regards and keep safe out there,
Christopher

FREGATTE

Post by FREGATTE » 06 Jan 2021, 09:39

And of course that should be "None so blind as those who (will) not see".

I'll get get me coat (ref to UK comedy series "The Fast Show"), and bale out before I dig myself a deeper hole!

Kindest regards,Christopher

Max

SURVIVING FASCIST ARCHITECTURE

Post by Max » 07 Jan 2021, 09:33

FREGATTE wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 09:39
And of course that should be "None so blind as those who (will) not see".

I'll get get me coat (ref to UK comedy series "The Fast Show"), and bale out before I dig myself a deeper hole!

Kindest regards,Christopher
The edit button [pencil icon] usually allows you to edit for a couple of days after you post - see top right of your post
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 07 Jan 2021, 13:45

Good afternoon Christopher,

you may be interested in this documentary:

Bauliche Zeugnisse der "Hauptstadt der Bewegung" (München / Munich)
- Eine Dokumentation - (Susanne Rieger / Gerhard Jochem)

The work from the year 2007 is av. as a *.pdf file, contains 35 pages, size of the download is 2.0 megabyte, language: german.

Link to the *.pdf file: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... JOK_SGknqr

Hans1906

P.S. I like to recommend the german website & forum "geschichtsspuren", hosted by Herr Michael Grube:
Link: https://www.geschichtsspuren.de
For watching the very many photos in the forum there, you have to register, questions in english language will be answered.
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

FREGATTE

Re: Surving Fascist Architecture

Post by FREGATTE » 12 Jan 2021, 08:02

Thank you Hans 1906.

Geschichtstsspuren - traces of history - a most interesting website.

kindest regards,
Christopher

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 13 Jan 2021, 13:00

Hi Guys,

To return to specifically Fascist architecture -

Believe it, or not "In July 2017, Asmara received UNESCO’s World Heritage Site designation for its modernist architectural marvels. Now that the dazzling gems of Asmara’s streets—from the Cinema Impero movie palace to the Fiat Tagliero service station—have been established as essential parts of Eritrean heritage....."

There is quite a lot about this on Google.

For photos: https://www.google.co.uk/search?source= ... 00&bih=782

Cheers,

Sid.

Max

Post by Max » 13 Jan 2021, 13:39

Sid Guttridge wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 13:00
Hi Guys,

To return to specifically Fascist architecture -

Believe it, or not "In July 2017, Asmara received UNESCO’s World Heritage Site designation for its modernist architectural marvels. Now that the dazzling gems of Asmara’s streets—from the Cinema Impero movie palace to the Fiat Tagliero service station—have been established as essential parts of Eritrean heritage....."

There is quite a lot about this on Google.

For photos: https://www.google.co.uk/search?source= ... 00&bih=782

Cheers,

Sid.
G'day Sid
Are you saying that the architecture of Asmara is essentially fascist?
I would have thought that it is more Modernist/Futurist/Art Deco.
Here is a search for fascist architecture and as you can see it is quite different.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fasci ... 2&biw=1400
It's hard to believe that Mussolini built Asmara .Compare with EUR https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EUR,_Rome
Fascist architecture has been referred to as stripped back Classicism - lots of columns and arches.
Not at all like Asmara.
Last edited by Max on 13 Jan 2021, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 13 Jan 2021, 13:56

Hi Max,

I guess I am.

If you scroll down your first link, you will find most of the Asmara buildings in my link illustrated there and several others besides.

Cheers,

Sid.
Last edited by Sid Guttridge on 13 Jan 2021, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

Max

Post by Max » 13 Jan 2021, 14:04

Hi Sid
It's a tricky one.
Modernism done by fascists but not fascist architecture

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 13 Jan 2021, 14:13

Hi Max,

I had a quick Google and the consensus seems to be that Fascist architecture was either a subset of Modernism, or closely related to it.

Cheers,

Sid.

Max

Post by Max » 13 Jan 2021, 15:18

For me the purpose of fascist architecture was to inspire awe through sheer scale and sense of monumentality some thing that seems not to be so apparent in Asmara.
But as you say, it is closely related to Modernism.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 13 Jan 2021, 15:22

Hi Max,

Anything over thee storeys would probably have "inspired awe through sheer scale and sense of monumentality" amongst the Eritrean population of the day!

I am going to have a look mat Addis Ababa now. The Italians must have built government buildings worthy of a Viceroy, surely?

Cheers,

Sid.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 13 Jan 2021, 15:28

Hi Max,

It appears that Le Corbusier fancied doing for Italian-ruled Addis Ababa in the 1930s what Lutyens had done for British-ruled New Delhi in the preceding decades

https://failedarchitecture.com/le-corbu ... dis-ababa/

If that doesn't bring Modernism and Fascist architecture together, I don't know what does!

However, the article says, "Yet, it was not until 1939, that construction on the new capital finally began." So I guess that there won't be any significant Fascist or Modernist architecture in Addis Ababa.

Cheers,

Sid.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”