The Wolf's Lair plans today?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
headwest

The Wolf's Lair plans today?

Post by headwest » 02 Feb 2021, 18:17

Hi everyone

I was just reading an article from 2020 that they are cleaning up and building out the former HQ? to increase tourism there.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the actual final plans are to be? There seemed some arguing back and forth about actual re enactors in Nazi Uniforms etc, but also that they mainly wanted to clean it up, add some amenities and more historical info since they get hundreds of thousands of visitors there a year anyway

Curious if anyone know more?

also has anyone been there and can can share what it was like?

thanks

CraigM

Re: The Wolf's Lair plans today?

Post by CraigM » 02 Feb 2021, 22:03

headwest wrote:
02 Feb 2021, 18:17
I was just reading an article from 2020 that they are cleaning up and building out the former HQ? to increase tourism there.
Is the article online? Can you post a link to it?

headwest

Post by headwest » 03 Feb 2021, 21:11

HI

yes, this was one

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49111787

and

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180972063/

there are others but most are along these lines

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 05 Feb 2021, 01:17

headwest wrote:
02 Feb 2021, 18:17
Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone knows what the actual final plans are to be? There seemed some arguing back and forth about actual re enactors in Nazi Uniforms etc, but also that they mainly wanted to clean it up, add some amenities and more historical info since they get hundreds of thousands of visitors there a year anyway

Curious if anyone know more?

also has anyone been there and can can share what it was like?

thanks
When I was there a few years ago, it certainly needed cleaning up; that is, the vegetation was covering most everything in the summer. To get a good view of the ruins you had to go in the early spring or late fall. And those are the best times to avoid the notorious mosquitoes as well. They need to take out a lot of the smaller trees that have grown up there since 1945. I didn't see any reenactors in uniform, although I did see Waffen-SS reenactors at other sides in Poland. At the Wolf's Lair they had reproduction German armored cars with repro machine guns that you could pay to ride around in. And helmets for the kids to wear. Kinda cheesy, I thought.
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

headwest

Post by headwest » 09 Feb 2021, 15:34

Thanks Geoff

That's very cool you have been there! Is it easy to go to? I may need to actually go to Germany for work once the pandemic is clear etc

and I was hoping to take some vacation while there and visit sites in Germany, France and Poland

Immelmann11

Post by Immelmann11 » 10 Feb 2021, 20:54

It's certainly not easy to get lol....its a very long drive from Warsaw Airport.
Well worth it of course.

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 10 Feb 2021, 21:58

Wolfsschanze is for sure worth a visit. The ruins are majestic and despite blown up, more or less accessible. Knowing that this is the site where Hitler spent around 850 days and dictated the war makes it a site of great historical significance. Sadly it is a more kinda commercial site than a historical site. Geoff has already mentioned some of it and I do recall from my last visit a few years ago there is also a visitor shooting range in one of the former baracks. Hopefully the new plans will deal with this and turn it into a historical site instead of a commercial site. And it's not hard to get there, easy 3,5 - 4 hours drive from Warsaw Chopin airport, less if you fly to Modlin airport which is north of Warsaw. I would recommend to stay the night in Olsztyn and visit, not only Wolfsschanze, but also the bunkers at Mamerki, Radzieje, Pozezdrze, the next day. All sites worth a visit.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”