Hitler's pubic declaration about his Austrian citizenship on 16 October 1924

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
George L Gregory

Hitler's pubic declaration about his Austrian citizenship on 16 October 1924

Post by George L Gregory » 11 Feb 2021 15:43

Brigitte Hamann in her book Hitler's Vienna: A Portrait of the Tyrant as a Young Man wrote the following on page 402:
The loss of my Austrian citizenship is not painful to me, as I never felt as an Austrian citizen but always as a German only. ... It was this mentality that made me draw the ultimate conclusion and do military service in the German Army.
Can anyone provide the original German text?

Does anyone know if there is a copy of the public declaration anywhere?

Cheers.

GregSingh

Re: Hitler's pubic declaration about his Austrian citizenship on 16 October 1924

Post by GregSingh » 13 Feb 2021 06:58

It was published in Völkischer Kurier on October 18th, 1924.
Library of Congress
Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek

Aus Zeitungsnachrichten ersehe ich, daß meine österreichische Staatszugehörigkeit als erloschen bezeichnet wird. Daher fühle ich mich zu folgender Erklärung veranlaßt:
Ich empfinde den Verlust der österreichischen Staatsbürgerschaft nicht als schmerzlich, da ich mich nie als österreichischer Staatsbürger, sondern immer nur als Deutscher gefühlt habe.
[..]

Google translated:
From the news in the newspaper I see that my Austrian citizenship has been declared expired. Therefore I feel compelled to make the following statement:
I do not find the loss of Austrian citizenship painful, as I have never felt like an Austrian citizen, but always only as a German one.
[..]
The more you let yourself to go, the less others will let you to go.
F.Nietzsche

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”