INSIDE MARTIN BORMANN'S BUNKER AND THE COMMAND TUNNEL

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
BEGAFILM

INSIDE MARTIN BORMANN'S BUNKER AND THE COMMAND TUNNEL

Post by BEGAFILM » 08 Mar 2021, 16:40

Dear AXIS,

I have a new english video online that might be interesting for you guys.

This is the world's only documentary about Martin Bormann's private bunker and the associated Command Tunnel on Obersalzberg.

With a total length of almost 700 meters, these two connected bunker systems are among the longest and also most interesting on Obersalzberg.

The "Vordereck-tunnel", also known as the "Command-tunnel", housed all of the intelligence technology of the "Füherhautquartier Berghof". The centerpiece of the facility was the "Flight- Reporting- Center", which was equipped with the most modern technical devices of the time. This was where all the threads of the intelligence system came together.

From May 1944, the facility housed the commander of the SS- Command, Obersturmbannführer Dr. Bernhard Frank, and his staff, as well as the Obersalzberg Administration.

Following the command tunnel, the private bunker of Martin Bormann is visited. With only six caverns, this bunker is relatively small and had neither shower nor bathing facilities.

Towards the end of the war, huge amounts of food and documents were stored here. Even today, remains of the documents can be found in the caverns.
Join us on an extraordinary tour of this underground facility, where time seems to have stood still since 1945.

Have fun watching and stay safe,

BEGAFILM
BEGAFILM - History in Motion
Always on the hunt for new Material - If you have films on old formats/film rolls that you cant play - send them over. We will be happy to make the world see it once again.

Duane Becker

Re: INSIDE MARTIN BORMANN'S BUNKER AND THE COMMAND TUNNEL

Post by Duane Becker » 10 Mar 2021, 18:01

Excellent video! I have a question. In the video at the approximate 25 minute 40 second section, the announcer mentions that Goring refused to have his section of tunnel connected to the Command tunnel. I could be mistaken, but I had read or heard that Bormann did not want to connect the Goring tunnel to the Command tunnel. As I understand it, Bormann did not like Goring. I love the history of the Obersalzberg, but still an amateur on this information. I was wondering if you could clarify that section. Thanks!!

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 10 Mar 2021, 18:32

As Duane Becker said, I too have a recollection that Bormann avoided connecting Göring's house to the tunnel that led to the Berghof, for the reason that Duane stated: Bormann didn't like Göring, and this was Bormann's opportunity to express that dislike, since Bormann was by then the overseer of the Obersalzberg Administration. A clarification would be most helpful.

With many thanks,

Br. James

CraigM

Post by CraigM » 11 Mar 2021, 01:00

Br. James wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 18:32
I too have a recollection that Bormann avoided connecting Göring's house
Ditto, and that aligns with what's known about Bormann's cranky nature. The two systems came close though as shown on this map. Of course we can't see how far they were vertically separated but it might be that a jackhammer could break through with half an hour's work! Judging by the overlay of the Kempinski hotel it looks like about half a hotel room away! :)
Attachments
03 bormann göring.jpg
03 bormann göring.jpg (141.15 KiB) Viewed 3511 times

BEGAFILM

Post by BEGAFILM » 11 Mar 2021, 01:56

Hey Guys,

it was Goering who did not want his bunker connected!
Bormann tried to connect the systems but Goering made it clear that he does not want to be in one bunker with Bormann in case they have to get down there.

I have this information from Frieda Zychski, who was Goerings housemaid on the Obersalzberg. She described the whole situation very clear in a Interview we had with her. This was a specific question we asked her.

She remembered the bunker situation pretty well, because she had to call Goering who was in Prussia at that time, and tell him that Bormann is about to blow out the connection. Goering intervened then and made clear he wants his own bunker.

The Interview with her will be the next video I upload on the english channel. Then you can hear too what she says regarding the connection of the two bunkers.

The german version is already online, at 7:40 the Bunker situation is talked about:

Greets
Always on the hunt for new Material - If you have films on old formats/film rolls that you cant play - send them over. We will be happy to make the world see it once again.

CraigM

Post by CraigM » 11 Mar 2021, 04:13

Thanks for explaining Begafilm!

Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker » 11 Mar 2021, 06:23

Thanks BegaFilm for the clarification. From reading through the history of Goring and Bormann, I probably wouldn't want to be in close quarters with Bormann either. From what I have read, Goring seems to have had some sort of personality-meaning approachable and easy to talk with. I've read Goring would on occasion, visit with the construction crews, while Bormann would be yelling at the crews.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 11 Mar 2021, 22:49

Thanks for this information, BEGAFILM. Perhaps I've gotten it wrong, but I thought the original concept of this tunnel system was to link both Göring's house and Bormann's house to the Berghof, and perhaps from there to the SS barracks?

Br. James

BEGAFILM

Post by BEGAFILM » 13 Mar 2021, 19:28

Hey guys,

premiere of the english version is tonight. Check it out on our english channel.

Please leave a like if you enjoy our videos.

Thanks

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”