The idea of Pan-European unity among the far-right outside Germany?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Hayes

The idea of Pan-European unity among the far-right outside Germany?

Post by Hayes » 24 Oct 2021, 19:43

How much support did the concept of some sort of pan-European union have among far-right groups outside Germany during the WWII period?

Wikipedia (in its article about the Quisling regime) claims that Vidkun Quisling supported the idea of a German-led pan-European union with a common market and currency, although the source it cites is Norwegian so I'm not able to verify that. Does anybody here know if this is true?

Oswald Mosley became a big supporter of pan-European nationalism during the Cold War with his "Europe a Nation" concept, but I haven't seen much evidence of him discussing the idea publicly before or during WWII.

P.S. I wasn't sure if this is the right section on the forum to post this question, because it relates to politics outside Germany. But still, I'm asking about period propaganda, so I hope it's ok to post here.

P.P.S Reworded the post slightly to be more clear about what I'm asking.
Last edited by Hayes on 25 Oct 2021, 11:48, edited 2 times in total.

Gorque

Re: The idea of Pan-European unity among the far-right outside Germany?

Post by Gorque » 25 Oct 2021, 02:59

Why does Pan-European unity have to be the brainchild of the far-right? Couldn't it be the brainchild of Centrists, right and left of Centrists, leftists?

George L Gregory

Post by George L Gregory » 25 Oct 2021, 08:14

Gorque wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 02:59
Why does Pan-European unity have to be the brainchild of the far-right? Couldn't it be the brainchild of Centrists, right and left of Centrists, leftists?
Hayes isn’t claiming that it’s exclusive to the far-right, he is just wondering which other far-right figures supported such an idea.
Last edited by George L Gregory on 25 Oct 2021, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.

Hayes

Post by Hayes » 25 Oct 2021, 10:07

George L Gregory wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 08:14
Gorque wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 02:59
Hayes isn’t claiming that it’s exclusive to the far-right, he is just wondering which other far-right figures supposed such an idea.
Exactly, thanks George for understanding what I meant.

Gorque

Post by Gorque » 26 Oct 2021, 01:50

Thanks for the clarifications.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for in re: Oswald Mosley. You probably already know of this.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-10-25 193927.png
Screenshot 2021-10-25 194024.png
Screenshot 2021-10-25 194024.png (99.19 KiB) Viewed 9936 times

George L Gregory

Post by George L Gregory » 26 Oct 2021, 08:28

Not so much pan-European, but the Russian fascist Aleksandr Dugin has written about a Euro-Asian empire which will be able to take on the American-led Western world. He wrote in The Basics of Geopolitics:
In principle, Eurasia and our space, the heartland Russia, remain the staging area of a new anti-bourgeois, anti-American revolution ... The new Eurasian empire will be constructed on the fundamental principle of the common enemy: the rejection of Atlanticism, strategic control of the USA, and the refusal to allow liberal values to dominate us. This common civilizational impulse will be the basis of a political and strategic union.

Hayes

Post by Hayes » 26 Oct 2021, 10:55

Gorque wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 01:50
Thanks for the clarifications.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for in re: Oswald Mosley. You probably already know of this.
No problem Gorque, my apologies if my initial post wasn't clear enough.
Yes, I've heard of Mosley's visit to Italy, although I'm not aware of them discussing any pan-European union ideals in that instance (but please correct me if you know something).

I'm also aware of the so-called "Montreux Fascist Conference" in 1934 which saw delegates attend from a variety of European countries to try and come up with some sort of agreement on the principles of "international fascism", although funnily enough I don't believe Mosley attended that meeting.
George L Gregory wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 08:28
Not so much pan-European, but the Russian fascist Aleksandr Dugin has written about a Euro-Asian empire which will be able to take on the American-led Western world. He wrote in The Basics of Geopolitics:
In principle, Eurasia and our space, the heartland Russia, remain the staging area of a new anti-bourgeois, anti-American revolution ... The new Eurasian empire will be constructed on the fundamental principle of the common enemy: the rejection of Atlanticism, strategic control of the USA, and the refusal to allow liberal values to dominate us. This common civilizational impulse will be the basis of a political and strategic union.
Interesting, but wasn't Dugin born post-war? Unless he was quoting ideas that had been promoted among fascist circles before/during the war?

Outlier

Post by Outlier » 08 Aug 2022, 15:48

In the Verona Manifesto of the fascist Italian Social Republic (1943) there was a brief mention of creating a "European community" comprising multiple nations.

Quote:

"This foreign policy will also strive for the creation of a "European community" made up of all those nations that accept the following fundamental principles:

a) elimination from our continent the century-long British intrigues;
b) abolition of the internal capitalist system and combat against world plutocracies;
c) valourisation of Africa's natural resources for the benefit of Europeans as well as natives, with full respect for those peoples, particularly Muslim ones, who have already shaped themselves into civilized nations, such as Egypt."

Source: http://bibliotecafascista.blogspot.com/ ... -1943.html

Halfdan S.

Post by Halfdan S. » 13 Aug 2022, 01:34

Quislings idea was called "Europeisk samling". In a newspaper clipping that I have in PDF it is claimed in - as I read it - "Frihet" (a paper that was published by the Communist Party of Norway) that this particular paper of Quislings disappeared before or during the trial against him after the war. According to the article it held 12. Articles (!.-XII.). The text of the 12 Articles is given in full (where ever the communists picked it up, if the paper had disappeared).

I have another PDF called "NS og det europeiske spørsmål", which is supposed to be based on Quislings own notes on this particular point during his trial.

I also have PDF on Quislings last meeting with Hitler in January 1945 where he is supposed to have discussed the idea with AH. Afterwards AH discussed it with Dr. Goebbels who thought it unrealistic - this can apparently be found in Goebbels Diaries from the end of January 1945 (I haven't got it, so can't look it up).

As implied it's all in Norwegian, so a bit long to transcribe not to say translate the lot. I'm off on holdiday, but I'll see if I can come up with links to where I believe that I found the three articles.

Best
Halfdan S.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”