Advice on a Völkischer Beobachter Project

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
bytwerk

Advice on a Völkischer Beobachter Project

Post by bytwerk » 15 Mar 2022, 01:03

I’m contemplating a fairly major project: Posting the front page of each issue of the “Völkischer Beobachter,” using that wonderful Austrian ANNO site and translating the headlines.
I’m wondering first, if it would be useful, and second, how to do it.
One approach would be a blog entry for each day. Here's an example. Don't pay attention to the formatting — this is just a trial run. The advantage of that is keywords would allow quick access to all headlines on a topic, and adding entries is easy. I'd end up with 1800 entries or so.
https://german-ww2-headlines.blogspot.com

Alternatively, I could figure our a way to add it to my German Propaganda Archive:
https://research.calvin.edu/german-propaganda-archive/

There I might do a page per month. It would be easier to navigate, but harder to search since I haven't got a keyword system on the site.

I welcome comments and suggestions.

Sheldrake

Re: Advice on a Völkischer Beobachter Project

Post by Sheldrake » 15 Mar 2022, 01:08

Brilliant idea!

bytwerk

Post by bytwerk » 15 Mar 2022, 13:06

And here is a rough version on my main website.

https://research.calvin.edu/german-prop ... pt1939.htm

ManfredV

Post by ManfredV » 15 Mar 2022, 15:04

Great!
But I think 3 September 1939 must be:
"German Navy Bombards Military Harbor at Hela" not Hefa.
Hela Peninsula was attacked and sieged for one month but Polish troops defended it until they had to capitulate when Poland was defeated at last.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 15 Mar 2022, 23:07

Great idea and thanks for the ANNO tip!
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

ostland

Post by ostland » 15 Mar 2022, 23:15

Beautiful. Being a newspaper propaganda collector, I am grateful for the Austrian National Library for digitizing the Ostmark VB. Would love to see all VB’s from 1921 on digitized though. Very nice project, I’d like to read it.
"Merken Sie sich eins; bei uns zu Haus' sind nur die Mannschaften Ostmärker. Die Herren Offiziere sind Österreicher! Servus Doktorchen!"

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 16 Mar 2022, 18:19

Good afternoon bytwerk, am I allowed to name you Randall,

a complex task to show the cover of every issue of that time online...

Unfortunately, what I see in your "test" doesn't convince me, the scans have too low a resolution.
You can only see the original titles of the individual articles, and an enlargement is unfortunately not possible.

In addition, the scans you set should be digitally reworked at least to some extent, a simple color correction, and a slight sharpening would be desirable.
A very complex task, but if you do, then please do it correctly, and also with a respective link to the page in the Austrian archive...

Greetings to you from Wiesbaden in Germany, I really appreciate the Online Propaganda Archive.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

bytwerk

Post by bytwerk » 16 Mar 2022, 22:23

Hi Hans,

I concluded you are right. The blog format won’t work. I’ll do it on my website. The images will be larger, and each page will have a link to ANNO.

Since there will be a link to ANNO I won’t edit the images.

Check this page tomorrow once the site updates and let me know if you have other suggestions.

https://research.calvin.edu/german-prop ... achter.htm

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 16 Mar 2022, 23:33

Thank you,

You are probably familiar with the dozens of reprints from the 1970s, the earlier German edition "Zeitungszeugen" failed miserably in a reprint version.
The few reprints are very much sought-after collector's copies today and are therefore traded at high prices.
Cases of vintages, if offered at all, are in the range of several hundred euros, speculative goods for many antiquarian bookshops here in Germany.

I don't want to belittle your intentions, but the real collectors are only interested in the original editions, with all pages.
All the front pages are well known, the real collectors are interested in the small details, the local news, the advertisements, the "deposit" of the daily newspapers of the time.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

bytwerk

Post by bytwerk » 17 Mar 2022, 12:27

Hi Hans,

I’m really not interested in collectors, although I’ve got a sizable collection myself. My primary audience is English-speakers interested in reading original propaganda material. I get a lot of students, scholars, journalists, and so on.

I also find the details you mention interesting, which is, of course, the real advantage of ANNO.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”