Newspapers during the Third Reich

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
marcusio

Newspapers during the Third Reich

Post by marcusio » 11 Jul 2003, 23:59

Hello,

I am hoping that someone may be able to help. I am a researcher working for Universal Films on a movie that will revolve around the last voyage of the Hindenburg, and I need to find accurate historical information about the Third Reich.

I have several areas I am investigating one of which is Newspapers in 1930s Germany: what were the names of all the national and regional newspapers published at the time?

I would be really grateful for any tips or information that you may be able to provide.

Thanks for your time and assistance.

Marcus Parmegiani

Javier Acuña

Post by Javier Acuña » 12 Jul 2003, 01:16

Would you put our names at the end of the film?? :lol:

Javier Acuña

Post by Javier Acuña » 12 Jul 2003, 17:03

These is a short list of german newspapers of those years and a little history (if available), source: Rise and Fall of the 3rd Reich, Shirer.

Vossische Zeitung, closed in April 1st, 1934 (liberal)
Berliner Tageblatt, closed in 1937 (liberal)
Frankfurter Zeitung
Deutsche Allgemeine Zeitung (conservative)
Völkischer Beobachter (Voelkischer Beobachter) (nazi)
Der Angriff (nazi, articles of Dr. Göbbels appeared here quite often)

I hope it helps

nondescript handle

Re: Newspapers during the Third Reich

Post by nondescript handle » 12 Jul 2003, 17:53

marcusio wrote:[...] 1930s Germany: what were the names of all the national and regional newspapers published at the time? [...]
In 1932 there were 4703 newspapers in Germany (source: Hermann Meyn "Massenmedien in Deutschland" 1999 page 45) so a list of all newspapers is quite ambitious.

Regards
Mark

marcusio

Post by marcusio » 15 Jul 2003, 15:39

Re: The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich list. Thanks so much for this list. I have the book and can get more information about these. Do you know if any of these were considered national, or were most papers considered regional (i.e., not one dominated)?

You are right: a list of all the newspapers is rediculously ambitious, and obviously I'll need to focus my research to specific locations and time periods.

Re: names included in the film. I wish I could! But it is well beyond my control, since we are dealing with a very large studio. With a small independent movie, it would be very different.

Thanks so much for your help,
Marcus

nondescript handle

Post by nondescript handle » 15 Jul 2003, 16:39

@marcusio: Disclaimer: I've got no idea how to make a feature film.

What role would the newspapers fulfill in the movie?
For example, if you want to portray a character as a passionate NSDAP-Member you could give him an issue of "Der Stürmer". That was a Nazi tabloid with obvious anti-semitic cartoons, so the audience would get the message.
Example "Der Stürmer" http://www.idgr.de/texte-2/antisemitism ... st_wv2.jpg
On the other hand a more democratic character could read a liberal satiric magazine like the "Simplicissimus" or "Kladderadatsch" (early 30s, before the Nazis took them over that is).
Example "Simplicissimus" Cartoon http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/ArtHeine3.jpg

But of course this is only my naive assessment of how to use newspapers in a feature film. :oops:

Regards
Mark

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”