Is this "Der Sieger" statue by Arno Breker or Josef Müllner?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
blackmetalhistorian

Is this "Der Sieger" statue by Arno Breker or Josef Müllner?

Post by blackmetalhistorian » 16 Dec 2022, 05:18

So I am researching this statue "Der Sieger" (some places label it as "Der Wager") and half of sources say it's by Arno Breker, while the other half say it's by Josef Mullner.

Also, I can only really find more photos of this by reverse-image searching it. When I do google "Josef Mullner Der Sieger statue" (and the same for Breker), nothing really comes up.

Does anyone have more info on this specific statue? (such as: What year was it sculpted? Was if ever put on display? If so, where?)

Thank you!

Last edited by blackmetalhistorian on 16 Dec 2022, 06:02, edited 1 time in total.

blackmetalhistorian

Re: Is this "Der Sieger" statue by Arno Breker or Josef Müllner?

Post by blackmetalhistorian » 16 Dec 2022, 05:57

Little update: So I found more evidence that this is by Arno Breker, called "Der Sieger".
There appears to be another statue nearly identical that has survived the war called "Der Wager"

Anywho, I'd still appreciate any information about the original one I mentioned(Der Sieger). Is it confirmed to have been destroyed during the Russian/Allied invasion?

Terry Duncan
Forum Staff

Post by Terry Duncan » 02 Jan 2023, 11:04

Not too sure this is overly helpful, but I found this on Der Sieger by Wandschneider, of which there are now two life sized versions!

https://germanartgallery.eu/wilhelm-wan ... er-sieger/

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 02 Jan 2023, 19:41

One more link possibly of interest:
https://www.deutsche-digitale-bibliothe ... 66RE2VMSEM

Waleed

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 02 Jan 2023, 20:57

It should be remembered, that the image of the "Sieger" was not a new representation.
Such statuettes are very common in small sizes and usually have little or nothing to do with Nazi art, if at all...

"Der Sieger" / Bronze: https://www.google.com/search?q=der+sie ... =759&dpr=1

A maybe 50 centimeter small statuette ranges in a price range from 300,- to maybe 5000,- Euros, the provenance is decisive, an early work by Breker or Thorak achieves completely different prices, please don't speculate further about that...

The price for these bronzes is purely speculative, usually purely an investment, a matter for the auction houses and dealers. :wink:

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”