Buergerbraukeller

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
reichpilot

Buergerbraukeller

Post by reichpilot » 17 Jul 2003, 05:01

Hi all. From what I have read, the Buergerbraukeller no longer exists. Can someone please give me the approximate cross-streets of its location? I know it was in the Haidhausen area, but I am looking for the location using todays streets. Also, I have been looking for a picture of it with no success. Any ideas on that? Thanks for any help.

This is a GREAT forum and I am learning much. It's nice to find a place where people with a love for this concidered "dark" part of history can meet and discuss things.

Thanks again.
Don Moser

Glenn A. Steinberg

Re: Buergerbraukeller

Post by Glenn A. Steinberg » 17 Jul 2003, 05:29

reichpilot wrote:Hi all. From what I have read, the Buergerbraukeller no longer exists. Can someone please give me the approximate cross-streets of its location? I know it was in the Haidhausen area, but I am looking for the location using todays streets. Also, I have been looking for a picture of it with no success. Any ideas on that? Thanks for any help.

This is a GREAT forum and I am learning much. It's nice to find a place where people with a love for this concidered "dark" part of history can meet and discuss things.

Thanks again.
Don Moser
You might want to try to find

Lehrer, Steven. Hitler Sites: A City-by-City Guidebook (Austria, Germany, France, United States). Jefferson: McFarland & Company, 2002. ISBN 0786410450.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have a very good entry on the Buergerbraukeller, so I can't really help you with your specific question.

Grünherz

Burgerbraukeller

Post by Grünherz » 17 Jul 2003, 05:40

I can't place cross-streets but "After the Battle" magazine #66 (1989?) shows an outside photo with allied troops and says that in issue #11--which I don't have--there is a picture of the hall after the assasination attempt rebuild and that it was demolished in 1976. Issue #66 does have an interior photo after the bomb went off.
This issue also has a map pointing to the Burgerbraukeller on a map of Munich showing it to be to the southeast of the Hofbrauhaus.
Perhaps "nondescript_handle" who answered my question about the location of the Sportpalast in Berlin could answer your question about the exact location??
TC

Eva

Post by Eva » 17 Jul 2003, 09:23

Behind the Feldhernhalle, just off Odeonsplatz. Facing the Feldhernhalle, it's on your left side. But, you're right, it's not there anymore.

Are you going to Munich??? Because if you are, there's a "Third Reich" walking tour that leaves from the Hauptbahnhof every afternoon at 3:45 p.m. (I think that's the time) and will take you to many places of TR significance. That's how I got to know where the Burgerbraukeller used to stand. It's a pretty cool tour and is given entirely in English.

Eva

reichpilot

Post by reichpilot » 17 Jul 2003, 12:36

Thanks all for the replies. I appreciate it all.

The information they gave you is wrong Eva. The Buergerbraukeller was on the other side of the Isar River in Haidhausen. During the putsch, they left the keller and marched down Rosenheimer Str., and across the Ludwig bridge. The keller was definitaly located in Haidhausen, which was outside the city in an old neighborhood. They marched through the Isator, down IM Tor and into Marionplatz. (This is where Julius Stricher joined the march) They then turned right and marched down ResidenzStr. to the Feldhernhalle. It's nowhere near where you are describing. Tell them you want your money back! LOL! I do appreciate the reply though.
Don

Heraklit

Bürgerbräukeller

Post by Heraklit » 17 Jul 2003, 14:16

The foregoing comment is completely correct as to location.

The Bürgerbräukeller was essentally a Gasthauskeller. After the war it was used for a number of years by the U.S. Army as an enlisted men's service club. It was demolished and replaced by another structure in either the late fifties or early sixties.

nondescript handle

Re: Burgerbraukeller

Post by nondescript handle » 17 Jul 2003, 15:11

tscrawford wrote: Perhaps "nondescript_handle" who answered my question about the location of the Sportpalast in Berlin could answer your question about the exact location??
Asking a resident of Berlin, capital of Prussia, about a location in Munich, capital of Bavaria, is an interesting thought...

But "reichpilot" is right: Rosenheimer Straße No. 15, Haidhausen quarter.
Located between the crossroads "Steinstraße" and "Am Gasteig".
Today the Hotel "City Hilton" is standing at that place.

Regards
Mark
Last edited by nondescript handle on 17 Jul 2003, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.

reichpilot

Post by reichpilot » 17 Jul 2003, 15:47

Thank you VERY much Mark. I appreciate the swift reply.
Don Moser

Landser

Post by Landser » 17 Jul 2003, 16:29

Take the Subway(S-Bahn) to Rosenheimerplatz, only a few yards from there is the new Hilton.Not much of the old neighborhood is left,kind of bland looking like most Hiltons are.
The Bürgeråu Keller was owned by the Loewenbråu company. The restaurant and ballroom with stage was hardly damaged,thats why it probably became a Special Services Club(no alcohol allowed).As a employee of Spec.Serv.I did have many dealings with the club.Toward the end of each month they staged enterainment shows or bands which were very popular since it was free to the GIs.Usually visits of VIPs we handled,were on the itenerary too.

Grünherz

beurgerbraukeller

Post by Grünherz » 18 Jul 2003, 06:09

nondescript handle,
Somehow I thought you could come up with this (Bavaria or not)!!
:wink: TC

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”