Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
steather

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by steather » 28 Aug 2011, 18:19

Hello everyone, I just discovered this forum and think its just great. I recently visited the Berghof in May, and although I did a bit of research, I wish I would have done a bit more. Anyway, I have a few photos I would like to post for discussion, but I'm not sure how to post a photo. Could someone assist me with this?

Also, I took quite a bit of HD video while I was there and will be posting it to YouTube shortly. I noticed a few odd items on the video, that I have no idea what they could be? One item is a piece of square iron resting on concrete, 1 foot by 1 foot, with an iron ball in the middle.

One last question, is there any chance that any part of the garage remains? My video clearly shows three square windows in the brush. I was standing (at least I think I was), on the driveway somewhere near the garage area. I could clearly see part of the driveway.

Thanks.

Steve

SteveFBS

Post by SteveFBS » 28 Aug 2011, 19:21

steather wrote: One last question, is there any chance that any part of the garage remains? My video clearly shows three square windows in the brush. I was standing (at least I think I was), on the driveway somewhere near the garage area. I could clearly see part of the driveway.
Hey Steve,
I saw those same three "windows" when I was at the Berghof a few years ago, and I always wondered what the hell they were.

-Steven

Alpenfestung

Post by Alpenfestung » 28 Aug 2011, 19:49

Geoff Walden wrote:Great, Ernie - I love the "Bye!"

What building is this (#14)? I thought at first it was Freidinglehen, the farm just across the road from the Berghof (later removed by Bormann), but it's much too far away for that.
Could it be #4 (Beim Breiler) or #5 (In der Brandstatt) on this map?

Great pictures, Ernie!

Peter
Attachments
OSBmap1933.jpg
Obersalzberg Area before 1933 (source: Der Obersalzberg im 3. Reich, Plenk 2008)
"Change is easy.....improvement is far more difficult"
(Ferdinand Porsche)

steather

Post by steather » 28 Aug 2011, 19:59

Ok, I have the video up on YouTube now. Sorry, but there is no audio.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/kn1BLaxwu1s[/youtube]

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 28 Aug 2011, 20:44

steather,

Could you repost your link please?

I find it doesn't work.

Thankyou

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 28 Aug 2011, 20:49

SteveFBS wrote:
steather wrote: One last question, is there any chance that any part of the garage remains? My video clearly shows three square windows in the brush. I was standing (at least I think I was), on the driveway somewhere near the garage area. I could clearly see part of the driveway.
Hey Steve,
I saw those same three "windows" when I was at the Berghof a few years ago, and I always wondered what the hell they were.
-Steven
I wasn't sure, after viewing the video, which square windows you mean, but if you mean the openings in the back retaining wall, along the part of the wall that is lowest (side away from the Türken), these openings were reportedly to relieve the pressure of water that built up behind the retaining wall - a sort of drain system.

But you did film some of the garage remains - the strip of flooring that ran beneath the front wall. It's likely that the rear wall, or part of it, is also still there, but buried (sometimes there is an erosion hole there that shows the top of a concrete wall or slab).
Alpenfestung wrote:
What building is this (#14)? I thought at first it was Freidinglehen, the farm just across the road from the Berghof (later removed by Bormann), but it's much too far away for that.
Great pictures, Ernie!
Peter
Yes, must be, that's about all I can see that would be visible from that angle.

Geoff

steather

Post by steather » 28 Aug 2011, 21:09

Annelie wrote:steather,

Could you repost your link please?

I find it doesn't work.

Thankyou
Here you go.

http://youtu.be/kn1BLaxwu1s

steather

Post by steather » 28 Aug 2011, 21:13

Geoff Walden wrote:
SteveFBS wrote:
Hey Steve,
-Steven
I wasn't sure, after viewing the video, which square windows you mean, but if you mean the openings in the back retaining wall, along the part of the wall that is lowest (side away from the Türken), these openings were reportedly to relieve the pressure of water that built up behind the retaining wall - a sort of drain system.

But you did film some of the garage remains - the strip of flooring that ran beneath the front wall. It's likely that the rear wall, or part of it, is also still there, but buried (sometimes there is an erosion hole there that shows the top of a concrete wall or slab).

3:33 into the video you can see the three square windows.
Alpenfestung wrote:
Great pictures, Ernie!
Peter
Yes, must be, that's about all I can see that would be visible from that angle.

Geoff

muller1945

Post by muller1945 » 28 Aug 2011, 22:27

I think that hut is not the kampfhaus but i reckon it was behind the old wachenfeld house. If see look at the building to the rear of wachenfeld house you can see the three chimneys, plus the steep slope does look like the steep slope behind the berghof. Nice photo tho i have never seen it before. The hut was torn down when they did the retaining wall i think.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 28 Aug 2011, 23:29

I was on the site in October last year and could find no sign of the Berghof garage. I knew roughly where it should have been, having climbed into it a few times (see photo above). I had the impression that it had been comprehensively demolished, either as a safety precaution or to destroy the meeting place of those whose graffiti covered the walls. The three "windows" are not, as I recall, part of the garage and are not where I seem to remember the garage as having been. I have a photo or two - somewhere - of the narrow aperture through which I wriggled some/many years ago. I will post it/them when I find it/them. In the meantime, here are two shots of the "windows" I took last year.
Attachments
AHFOGW.JPG
AHFOGW2.JPG
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

steather

Post by steather » 29 Aug 2011, 00:28

So then what are these pictures of? They look like the same ones from my video.

Thanks.

Steve

PavelH

Post by PavelH » 29 Aug 2011, 13:55

...incerdible!!!! above the Berghof stood little hut .... can`t believe ... I always thought that here`s almost nothing(on the Hill) to really suprise me ,however contrary is the reality .
MOREOVER ,I have Hartmann`s book at home too and there`s really little sign on the map which shows this hut. I have seen this map many times ,but never ever notice "our" hut. I think that it must stood there in times of Berghof too ,so no raze while remodelling Wachenfeld to Berghof. Guys ,thank you all to keep this forum alive and really thanks for sharing your unique pictures. So don`t stop ,keep going :)

Ernie Primeau

Post by Ernie Primeau » 29 Aug 2011, 15:03

Hi Geoff,

That has me stumped, too! :D

Ernie Primeau

Post by Ernie Primeau » 29 Aug 2011, 15:21

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. Some more photos for you:

(*NOTE* Some of these photos are cropped and resized after posting. Please click the links for the full/larger photos.)

Remains of the entrance to Goring's bunker:

Servant's quaters:

More goodies....

http://upload.project-j.nl/uploads/198280938.jpg

http://upload.project-j.nl/uploads/1125030027.jpg

http://upload.project-j.nl/uploads/1618485209.jpg

Mysterious steps on the Berghof site. Don't know where/what these were for. Perhaps someone could help?

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 29 Aug 2011, 15:54

Ernie Primeau has some fantastic images here. Thanks Ernie.

Johnny R. :D

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”