Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
BEGAFILM

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by BEGAFILM » 29 Jul 2020, 18:25

Hey guys,
today we have uploaded a new video in english language:

ADOLF HITLERS SECURITY CENTER - "HOTEL TUERKEN" - Documentary

@phunkaeg
Check out our videos about Berghof. Maybe you can find some information there.

Greets and stay safe!

BEGAFILM
BEGAFILM - History in Motion
Always on the hunt for new Material - If you have films on old formats/film rolls that you cant play - send them over. We will be happy to make the world see it once again.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 31 Jul 2020, 18:45

That was most interesting...

Thank you for sharing BEGAFILM.
I am subscribed to your youtube documentaries.

:D

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 31 Jul 2020, 20:32

A wonderful and historically-significant compilation of video records of the Haus Wachenfeld/Berghof, the Zum Türken and the Obersalzberg Administration! Many thanks for sharing your excellent work.

Br. James

CPB

Post by CPB » 02 Aug 2020, 10:38

phunkaeg wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 06:00
Hi all, I've just joined this forum. I thought I'd share a project I've started working on, (which I'm sure many people have probably tried before)

Like most people, I was used to seeing clips of Hitler entertaining, or even relaxing on his terrace overlooking the mountains.
And I'd always wondered where exactly he was. It certainly didn't look like a concrete "Führerbunker" like i'd seen in Downfall and other period pieces about Hitler.

With a bit of extra free time recently (Thanks Covid) I'd started looking into using my skills as a 3d artist, to bring the Berghof into Virtual Reality.
That means, you put on a Virtual Reality headset, and walk through the Berghof, open doors with your hands, sit down and watch a film on the projector, operate the enormous picture window, do some bowling in the basement.

I've found some great starting material on this forum, plans and photos and on other sites some 3d files that other people have started building.

Geoffrey Waldens website Third Reich in Ruin is an amazing source of imagery, but is so low resolution and compressed, that a lot of the detail I'm looking for. (Detail about fabrics, carpets, wood grain, etc) is lost. And digging deeper and deeper into this thread, all i find is either a low res Attachment (is there a way to open the original attachment? I can't seem to find a link, I can only see the preview) and a whole lot of dead links.

As you've probably guessed, I've come begging for sources for higher quality images.
Is there a single repository for the highest quality, preferably color? or a contact, once I've exhausted my current sources, i'll probably be willing to pay, but not all that much, as I'm not a collector.

I've started my modelling project with the Grand Room. I've attached some early drafts.
Keep in mind, this is still the early phase, the detail level and lighting realism improves as I keep working on it.

GrandRoom3.jpg
GrandRoom2.jpg
GrandRoom1.jpg

I'll be replacing a lot of these basic block objects with their detailed versions as I create them.
This is looking very promising...excellent work!

As for fabrics, colors, etc, I have some resources that may be useful:

The tablecloth used on the round table by the picture window
https://www.souvenirsofwar.com/work#/new-gallery/

Gerdy Troost's fabric swatch book, in the Bavarian State Library
https://www.souvenirsofwar.com/resource ... bric-book/

Berghof furniture
https://www.souvenirsofwar.com/resource ... pril-1942/

Berghof coffee table tile
https://www.souvenirsofwar.com/work#/ha ... fee-table/

Please keep us updated on your project...

Chris

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 02 Aug 2020, 18:21

Fabulous references, Chris...countless thanks for sharing them!

Br. James

phunkaeg

Post by phunkaeg » 03 Aug 2020, 02:15

Chris! This is exactly the sort of thing i'm looking for! thank you!

For updates, should I create a different thread, so it doesn't get lost in this epic thread, or should i keep anything Berghof related in here?

CraigM

Post by CraigM » 03 Aug 2020, 07:00

phunkaeg wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 02:15
For updates, should I create a different thread, so it doesn't get lost in this epic thread, or should i keep anything Berghof related in here?
I would suggest keeping the same forum (Propaganda, Culture & Architecture) but creating a new topic. That way, all the posts and replies on this topic will be kept together and not lost among the general posts.

BEGAFILM

Post by BEGAFILM » 08 Aug 2020, 22:19

Hello Guys,

we have today uploaded our new video about the 101st Airborne Division:

101ST AIRBORNE DIVISION - FIRST INSPECTION OF ADOLF HITLERS BUNKER ON OBERSALZBERG - RAW Material

Have fun watching :)

Greets
BEGAFILM - History in Motion
Always on the hunt for new Material - If you have films on old formats/film rolls that you cant play - send them over. We will be happy to make the world see it once again.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 08 Aug 2020, 22:44

Begafilm, thank you.

There in the video is the shots of the bedroom where several years ago there
was a big discussion on whether or not (photo of the same) was really in Berchtesgaden
or perhaps München. Well this video makes it clear.

I found it interesting that every piece of art however small was cut from the frame
and gone. The locals must have some interesting pieces.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 09 Aug 2020, 15:10

MANY thanks for this latest effort on behalf of BEGAFILM -- keep 'em coming!!

Br. James

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 09 Aug 2020, 23:45

After watching this video, I am left with unanswered questions, including:

* Was that tunnel entrance below the main driveway up to the Berghof connected to the Zum Türken tunnel system? Was it connected to the Berghof and to Bormann's house? What happened to that tunnel entrance -- was it filled in with soil or does it still exist? (When I visited the Berghof in June of 1998, there was no sign of that entrance at that time.)

* Where those tunnel rooms assigned to specific people...there appears to have been a bedroom and a bathroom there...for whom?

* What happened to all of the furnishings and artworks we see there? Were they inventoried, and are they in a museum today? Did the Monuments Men review the artworks we see in this film?

* It appears that the tunnel system we see here has been scavenged prior to the arrival of the GI who walks through the area; was this the aftermath of the local population coming up to the Obersalzberg Administration and raiding all of the houses and facilities there?

Just some questions, sparked by this most interesting film footage! Many thanks again,

Br. James

Biber

Post by Biber » 10 Aug 2020, 15:12

There was a thread (or was it here?) a while ago about the Berghof's artwork that, if I remember correctly, gives the subsequent disposition of many of the items. Sadly, the last time I looked at it many of the photos no longer appear. If I get a minute I'll try to track it down and edit this post to include it.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 10 Aug 2020, 16:26

Hi all,

It's been a little while since I've been on this forum ...
Br. James wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 23:45
After watching this video, I am left with unanswered questions, including:

* Was that tunnel entrance below the main driveway up to the Berghof connected to the Zum Türken tunnel system? Was it connected to the Berghof and to Bormann's house? What happened to that tunnel entrance -- was it filled in with soil or does it still exist? (When I visited the Berghof in June of 1998, there was no sign of that entrance at that time.)
What we today tend to regard as separate tunnel systems, because they are separate today, were one system them. What is/was accessible from the Türken today was originally just part of the Berghof system. Exactly as you said - that was Bormann's underground access to the Berghof (not that he likely ever used it). That entrance is still there, but hard to access - it is hard to see from the paths through the summer vegetation, and it takes some scrambling down into a rocky valley to get to it. There may also be an electrified fence there (Craig can tell us :milwink: ). It is now the actual emergency exit to the Türken tunnel (or it would be, if the tunnel were open now), with an alarm system on it.

The 101st film is a little misleading because first you see the soldier enter through the other (better known) emergency exit, then later you see him coming down the staircase from the entrance behind the Berghof, then you see him come out the exit in question here (and go up steps that I have never seen there ... but I've never actually looked for them either, since I did get there from up above).

One thing in the film that struck me as very odd - we see a soldier jump out a side window of the Berghof to go to the main access door to the tunnel staircase ... but there was a door right there in the back of the Berghof that gave direct access to the area where the tunnel door was ... why did this guy have to jump out that window???
Br. James wrote:
* Where those tunnel rooms assigned to specific people...there appears to have been a bedroom and a bathroom there...for whom?
Yes, there were separate suites for Hitler, Eva Braun, and Dr. Theo Morell, each with a bath/toilet.
Br. James wrote:
* What happened to all of the furnishings and artworks we see there? Were they inventoried, and are they in a museum today? Did the Monuments Men review the artworks we see in this film?
Good question! I don't know any details on that. Most of the Berghof artworks that are in museums today were removed from the Berghof before the Americans arrived ... really, all that I know of. Presumably the ones we see in the film were inventoried as were Göring's artworks, but I'm not aware of any in museums now. Hitler's book collection and vinyl record collection (parts, anyway) ended up in the U.S. Library of Congress, and possibly other U.S. collections (in the film we see U.S. "tourists" leaving the tunnel with one or more books in their arms).
Br. James wrote:
* It appears that the tunnel system we see here has been scavenged prior to the arrival of the GI who walks through the area; was this the aftermath of the local population coming up to the Obersalzberg Administration and raiding all of the houses and facilities there?
Another good question! That tunnel system was still inhabited by the staff etc. who took shelter there from the bombing, because the buildings where they had been living were apparently uninhabitable. I don't know if the presence of these people would have prevented looting by the local population or not. Really, this tunnel doesn't look badly plundered in this film to me, just in disorder ... which could have been a result of the frenzied search for treasures and alcohol by the first Allies to get up on the Obersalzberg. So, my question is ... seeing the rather good shape of this tunnel at the time of this filming, when/how/by whom was it reduced to the state that we see today? That is, with all the electrical conduits and switches torn out, all the plumbing and fixtures, all the doors, many of the door frames, etc., etc. ... if the US Army was in control of these tunnels from the time this film was made until many years in the future, just when did all the rest of these furnishings disappear? This couldn't have all been from souvenir hunting by visiting GIs at the recreation center. This all remains a mystery to me...

Geoff
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 10 Aug 2020, 16:54

Morning All!

Somewhere amongst this thread I believe is an photo of the local or perhaps as Geoff states the people
working at the Berghof running down the hill carrying whatever they could. And, who could blame them?

Just one of many photos showing where some of the items went.
Attachments
Berghof.jpg
Berghof.jpg (57.81 KiB) Viewed 863 times

headwest

Post by headwest » 10 Aug 2020, 18:01

Is this all in the bunker? The bedroom one I thought was supposed to be Eva's? is that in the berghof or in the bunker then

Thanks great stuff!

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”