Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Frank V90R

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Frank V90R » 09 Aug 2011, 20:53

I was on August 1on the Obersalzberg to visit Adolf Berghof.
This time I found what stranges.
Namely, a large concrete round disc with the ''bottom'' a curved side.
This disc is on the left side of the Berghof when you settle in the big window is the view direction.
And is + / - 5 meters down.
Anyone have any idea what this was ?

Bormanns tree...
There were many people there, so it was a little bit strange when you walk white a piece of tree with you.
But the third week of October I'm back for more to do and to see, I hope I can get a bit of Bormann tree.
I have visit the Mooslahnerkopf for the first time.

PavelH

Post by PavelH » 09 Aug 2011, 21:59

It`s a top of the "Einmann" .Little concrete bunker ,usually for just one person ,to localize places where dropped unexploded bombs. Look to Geoffs pages for further infos.

pofoka

Post by pofoka » 09 Aug 2011, 22:50

[quote="Frank V90R"]I was on August 1on the Obersalzberg to visit Adolf Berghof.
This time I found what stranges.
Namely, a large concrete round disc with the ''bottom'' a curved side.
This disc is on the left side of the Berghof when you settle in the big window is the view direction.
And is + / - 5 meters down.
Anyone have any idea what this was ?

Hi Frank V90R
It's a top of a Mollbunker. Look at Geoff's map on the 111 sides. I found these:
pofoka
Attachments
mb1.jpg
Kampfhäusl foundations with the top and pieces of the sides of the "Moll-Bunker"
mb1.jpg (131.03 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
mb.jpg
Top of a Moll-Bunker in Antenberg Hill near Theaterhalle ruins
mb.jpg (118.3 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
Mollbunker2.jpg
Mollbunker in Berchtesgaden
Mollbunker2.jpg (69.2 KiB) Viewed 3786 times

pofoka

Post by pofoka » 09 Aug 2011, 23:02

...and these:
pofoka
Attachments
mb4.jpg
near Berghof ruins
mb4.jpg (84.34 KiB) Viewed 3784 times
mb3.jpg
Top of a Moll-Bunker on top of the Bodnerbichl hill
mb3.jpg (77.26 KiB) Viewed 3784 times

pofoka

Post by pofoka » 09 Aug 2011, 23:15

Doc_001 wrote:For my first Obersalzberg post, from my visit in mid June, a snap shot of my two Rat Terrier hunds at the Mooslahnerkopf Teahaus overlook. Pofoka mentioned Moll-Bunker locations, at dark I found the one just down the hill southwest of the overlook, snapped a fading light shot of it.

Hi Doc_001
thank you for the help! But...
I did not find this unfortunately. Then on the next travel. I hope!

pofoka

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 10 Aug 2011, 21:38

Hi all,

Frank, you can see many photos of the remains of the Moll-Bunkers on the Obersalzberg, plus the two bunkers in the area (plus one in Berchtesgaden) that remain intact, at - http://www.thirdreichruins.com/bunkers.htm#mollbunkers .

I wonder if there are any more intact Moll-Bunkers there, maybe way out in the woods, or along the stone wall that held the guard fence above the Kehlsteinhaus? I have walked the guard route near the Teehaus, both sides of the Moll-Bunker there, for as far as I could go, and also some of the fence above the Kehlsteinhaus, but never saw any other bunkers or remains.

Geoff

Frank V90R

Post by Frank V90R » 11 Aug 2011, 15:46

Thanks PavelH, pofoka, Geoff,

Mabay I can see the other one's on my trip in Oktober.

Thanks Frank.

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 12 Aug 2011, 13:34

I am sorry to appear stupid but I have hunted up and down the site but cannot find an explanation of exactly what a "Mollbunker" is and what was its function? I assume, probably incorrectly, that these mushroom shaped structures were the surface outlets/inlets for the ventilation shafts for the many underground tunnels - am I correct? I would much appreciate being introduced to "Mollbunkers" and why are they so named? - thank you.

PavelH

Post by PavelH » 12 Aug 2011, 15:04

Dear friend :)

just read my previous post ,where you can find what you are looking for. Moll`s just name of one of the producers of this bunkers - actually it isn`t real bunker it`s "observatory" which were using during air raids. For ex. in the Czech republic`s a lot of these bunkers round old factories ,where were producted weapons for the Reich. So try to use "Einmannbunker" in google and you`ll find a lot of infos.

Artsi77

Post by Artsi77 » 12 Aug 2011, 17:38

I visited the Mollbunker near Mooslahnerkopf last month. I was surprised how little you can see out when you are in the bunker.

Was there a radio or phone inside the bunker?

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 12 Aug 2011, 20:16

Artsi,

Yes, these bunkers were supposed to be linked by telephone. Perhaps some were, and some not. And you are so right - when you are inside, with the doors closed, it is VERY dark and you can see very little! So these were meant only as emergency "bomb-proofs" for the guards to take cover from bomb splinters.

We used to call these "Einmannbunkers," because that is what they are called in Neul's book, but they have seats for two men (or, well, they HAD seats - I believe the seats inside the Obersalzberg Mollbunkers have all been "souvenired").

Paulheald, as explained at http://www.thirdreichruins.com/bunkers.htm#mollbunkers, we call these "Moll" bunkers because this type was made by the Leonhard Moll concrete company of Munich. There were actually several different types of bunker like this, like Pavel said, around factories, railway stations and yards, military gates, etc.

Geoff

Artsi77

Post by Artsi77 » 12 Aug 2011, 23:50

Some pictures of our walk to Mooslahnerkopf. First we didn´t know that we must turn left from the path. We walked downhill all way... and then back uphill :roll:
ScreenShot186.jpg
ScreenShot184.jpg
ScreenShot182.jpg
Last edited by Artsi77 on 12 Aug 2011, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.

Artsi77

Post by Artsi77 » 12 Aug 2011, 23:53

And thanks again Geoff, without your tips it would be very hard to find THE MOLLBUNKER.
ScreenShot185.jpg
ScreenShot181.jpg

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 13 Aug 2011, 12:04

Thanks to all concerned re the mystery of the Mollbunkers that I was unable to pick up from the previous postings. I would like to know where the picture number 2, taken by you Artsi77, with the tree stump in the foreground, is taken from. I assume it is at the edge of the woods looking towwards the site of the Berghof. You are certainly a dab hand with the camera - beautiful pictures that almost make up for the disappointment of my cancelled tour to Obersalzberg this year. I had copied Geoff's excellent guide as to how to get from Zum Turken to the site of the Teehuis. Am I correct in saying that the Fuehrer did not follow this path for his daily walk, but in fact followed another path across what is now the golf course? If that is correct is that original path still there? One more question remains - I understand that the Fuehrer was collected each day from the Teehuis by car to return to the Berghof. Is your picture number 1, Artsi77, the road that the car would have used - it looks more like a cart track rather than a road? :D

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 13 Aug 2011, 16:52

Paul,

According to the "Hartmann Map" (Kartenwerk Obersalzberg), Hitler's common walking route to the Teehaus is the route shown in yellow here. The route shown in red is the approximate trace of the modern path through the woods today.

This is not to say that Hitler always followed this yellow route. Photos show Hitler and his group walking along a path that is more out on what is now the modern golf course. Part of this path may still exist on the golf course - the path that heads from the bench area on the east, toward the Gutshof. As far as Hitler's "main" path goes, very little of it is left.

Since Hitler reportedly did not walk back to the Berghof, but was driven back in the VW Cabriolet, or sometimes a Mercedes, this could only have been across what is now the golf course, to the Gutshof, and from there back to the Berghof. I suspect that Hitler (and EB) walked down to the Gutshof from the Teehaus, since it is a downhill walk mostly, and were driven to the Berghof from there. But I have never read any details of this drive back. Has anyone seen the exact return route described anywhere, from a period source?

Geoff
Attachments
teehausrtnew1.jpg
teehausrtnew1.jpg (45.27 KiB) Viewed 3447 times

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”