Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Helly Angel

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Helly Angel » 13 Aug 2011, 17:23

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 13 Aug 2011, 20:09

Helly Angel wrote:http://youtu.be/RuWNRHyuzH0
Helly-A after watching this video... I'm ready to move to the Berchtesgaden. A very well done piece of filming.

Johnny R. :D

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 13 Aug 2011, 22:02

YES! the autor is guy Czech, but is a beauty of video!!!! We are doing plans to go to the Berchtesgaden next year!! Did you see the Königsee!!!!!! God!!!! God lives there!!!!

Doc_001

Post by Doc_001 » 14 Aug 2011, 06:26

Artsi77 wrote:And thanks again Geoff, without your tips it would be very hard to find THE MOLLBUNKER.
ScreenShot185.jpg
ScreenShot181.jpg
Great pics Artsi, it was dark when I found this one which is northeast down the slope. Cool! I missed the big "MOLL" emblem! Hey all, been a busy few weeks, catching up on posts. I am actually flying to Moscow this morning to attend the MAKS Air Show, my first visit and really looking forward to seeing the new Russian aircraft (PAK-FA) and Moscow sights. Know any good militaria shops?

Doc_001

Post by Doc_001 » 14 Aug 2011, 06:50

Hi Geoff! Must be a quick reply, only this topic can stop me from packing :) Did some screen caps from EB Home Videos that seem to show the party walking back accross the central trail (now middle of Gold Course), first pic is facing West and second shows Hilter entering a car on the trail. Now, off to Moscow :)
Attachments
HitlerTakesCarfromWalk.jpg
HitlerTakesCarfromWalk.jpg (77.57 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
WalkBacktoBerghof.jpg
WalkBacktoBerghof.jpg (66.03 KiB) Viewed 1300 times

Alpenfestung

Post by Alpenfestung » 14 Aug 2011, 19:00

jonowitz0 wrote:Howard W. Vogel was an american soldier in WW2 and was in the 910th Mobile Antiaircraft tank Battalion unit, Attached to the 101st Airborne Division and they were the first troops to arrive at the Berghof - early in the morning of April 26, 1945.
I came across the Howard Vogel story when a friend of the late Mr. Vogel listed the liberated silverware on ebay - for $400,000 IIRC. ... Speaking of slightly overpriced ebay listings - there's a guy in Germany who has a pretty nice 1/87 scale model of the Berghof listed - asking price is 15,600 Euro! For that kind of money I would at least expect the window to go up and down!

http://cgi.ebay.de/Hitlers-Berghof-als- ... 4cf949eb1a

Peter
Attachments
BerghofModel001.jpg
BerghofModel001.jpg (29.72 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
"Change is easy.....improvement is far more difficult"
(Ferdinand Porsche)

Alpenfestung

Post by Alpenfestung » 14 Aug 2011, 19:08

Doc_001 wrote:Hi Geoff! Must be a quick reply, only this topic can stop me from packing :) Did some screen caps from EB Home Videos that seem to show the party walking back accross the central trail (now middle of Gold Course), first pic is facing West and second shows Hilter entering a car on the trail. Now, off to Moscow :)
Look at the mud under the right front fender - looks like they took Der Chef's Mercedes off-road somewhere along the trail!

Peter
Attachments
AHmercedes001.jpg
AHmercedes001.jpg (77.57 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
(Ferdinand Porsche)

Alpenfestung

Post by Alpenfestung » 14 Aug 2011, 19:43

I've been going through my saved pictures from recent ebay listings and posted pictures of a few Haus Wachenfeld items on the "Souvenirs and Kitsch items" thread - here's another interesting one.
Mailed in Argentina in 1937, addressed to "Senora de Rauhbein" at "Haus Wachenberg" in Berchtesgaden - makes me wonder if this was supposed to go to Ms. Raubal at Haus Wachenfeld?

Peter
Attachments
WachenfeldLetter002.jpg
Letter to Berchtesgaden
WachenfeldLetter002.jpg (36.16 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
(Ferdinand Porsche)

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 14 Aug 2011, 21:37

Have a great trip, Doc!

Maybe the Teehaus parties walked back the path route until they got to where that main "road" that crosses across the meadow (now golf course), reaches its NE end, and then they got in a car there. Instead of walking to the Gutshof.

Anyway, here is the "Hartmann Map" section from Hartmann's book, showing the Teehaus route that Hartmann marked in red. Too bad there is no return route shown.

Geoff
Attachments
teehaus_route.jpg
Hartmann - Die Verwandlung Eines Berges

Artsi77

Post by Artsi77 » 15 Aug 2011, 01:44

Paulheald wrote:Thanks to all concerned re the mystery of the Mollbunkers that I was unable to pick up from the previous postings. I would like to know where the picture number 2, taken by you Artsi77, with the tree stump in the foreground, is taken from. I assume it is at the edge of the woods looking towwards the site of the Berghof. You are certainly a dab hand with the camera - beautiful pictures that almost make up for the disappointment of my cancelled tour to Obersalzberg this year. I had copied Geoff's excellent guide as to how to get from Zum Turken to the site of the Teehuis. Am I correct in saying that the Fuehrer did not follow this path for his daily walk, but in fact followed another path across what is now the golf course? If that is correct is that original path still there? One more question remains - I understand that the Fuehrer was collected each day from the Teehuis by car to return to the Berghof. Is your picture number 1, Artsi77, the road that the car would have used - it looks more like a cart track rather than a road? :D
Hi

Picture number 2 is taken about 200 meters from Mooslahnerkopf, the Berghof place is in the left side of the picture. You can also see the ski-lift, that goes to the new hotel.

The road, you see in picture 1 is taken very close to picture 2. I guess that the road has been narrowed, and has been widened when those bastards drove a excavator in 2006 to destroy the ruins. Not the road the Fuhrer drove back.

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 15 Aug 2011, 13:32

Hi Artsi77 - thanks for the information and the excellent photos. I agree with your sentiments about the wanton destruction of these historical artifacs, as took place in 2006 in the vicinity of the Teehuis (sorry Teehaus). The Third Reich was a significant part of German History and an interesting period historically. Hence the destruction of anything pertaining to it is, in my opinion, the action of ignorant bureaucratic philistines. I think that the perception is now changing, especially with the modern generation, many of whom view the period of the Third Reich purely as history and with ever increasing interest. I have just finished viewing Leni Riefenstahl's film "Triumph of the Will". The scenes of "Reichparteitag" at the Nuremberg Rally Grounds are breathtaking in their organizational magnificence. It is a good thing that some of these structures still remain for future generations to be able to see for themselves what was put together between 1933 and 1939. What a pity it is that all that remains of the Berghof are a couple of retaining walls and a few "Mollbunkers" - I had to get that one in!

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 15 Aug 2011, 16:53

Agreed, 100%!

Sadly, some of the structures in Nürnberg need a lot of preservation work. The Zeppelintribüne in particular is in bad shape (inside and out), and continues to deteriorate. The city did some work on the inside in 2008-09, to remove some rubble left over when the columns were blown down in 1967, and they found the interior staircases to be in very bad shape. So many pieces have fallen off the rear façade, that they have had to put up a fence across the entire rear area, to keep visitors away from falling pieces. The city spends some 100,000 Euro annually on upkeep. A 2009 study estimated that it would take 70 million Euro to do a complete renovation. (These facts from info markers that have been put up at the Zeppelintribüne)

Geoff

robertmountfor

Post by robertmountfor » 16 Aug 2011, 01:33

What you say is so true Geoff.
Ironically Speer had in mind, whilst building his projects, 'ruin' value.
That is to say what remains after a thousand years, say in comparison to the Greeks and Roman empires.
He explained this concept rather diplomatically to his patron, without pushing the obvious fact that ruins equal the end of a regime.
Many years after, in the early eighties he mentioned in conversation his complete mistake in the over use of concrete and cement, and the fact that it degrades much faster than he thought.

robertmountfor

Post by robertmountfor » 16 Aug 2011, 01:34

What you say is so true Geoff.
Ironically Speer had in mind, whilst building his projects, 'ruin' value.
That is to say what remains after a thousand years, say in comparison to the Greeks and Roman empires.
He explained this concept rather diplomatically to his patron, without pushing the obvious fact that ruins equal the end of a regime.
Many years after, in the early eighties he mentioned in conversation his complete mistake in the over use of concrete and cement, and the fact that it degrades much faster than he thought.

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 16 Aug 2011, 04:15

Geoff....why doesn't the city just tear the Zeppelintribüne down? Is there a specific reason why it is kept in it's present state? I'm not condoning it's destruction, mind you, but here in the U.S. most municipalities would just condemn and remove a building in that particular state, especially if it was publicly owned.

Rob
"Even God cannot change the past. "
-Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC)

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”