Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Alpenfestung

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Alpenfestung » 29 Aug 2011, 18:06

Ernie Primeau wrote:
Geoff Walden wrote:Great, Ernie - I love the "Bye!"

What building is this (#14)? I thought at first it was Freidinglehen, the farm just across the road from the Berghof (later removed by Bormann), but it's much too far away for that.
Hi Geoff,

That has me stumped, too! :D
Ernie,

Look at the map I posted on this page yesterday - there were two other small farms ("Beim Breiler" and "In der Brandstatt") that were torn down sometime after the Brghof was built.
Great pictures, please keep them coming!

Peter
"Change is easy.....improvement is far more difficult"
(Ferdinand Porsche)

Alpenfestung

Post by Alpenfestung » 29 Aug 2011, 18:19

steather wrote:Also, I took quite a bit of HD video while I was there and will be posting it to YouTube shortly. I noticed a few odd items on the video, that I have no idea what they could be? One item is a piece of square iron resting on concrete, 1 foot by 1 foot, with an iron ball in the middle.
Steve
Steve,

Thanks for posting the link to your video - it looks like there are quite a few artifacts left at the Berghof site. I don't think I've seen pictures of the square metal plate with the ball before (does anybody here know what it is?) It would be interesting if someone familiar with the original layout could mark the locations of what's left on a plan of the Berghof basement (or would it be the first floor since everything was buried in the 50s?). Maybe that could be part of Geoff's book!

Peter
(Ferdinand Porsche)

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 29 Aug 2011, 19:31

muller1945 wrote:I think that hut is not the kampfhaus but i reckon it was behind the old wachenfeld house. If see look at the building to the rear of wachenfeld house you can see the three chimneys, plus the steep slope does look like the steep slope behind the berghof. Nice photo tho i have never seen it before. The hut was torn down when they did the retaining wall i think.
I think you are right, muller1945. I could only find this little house in photos of Haus Wachenfeld, and then only in photos after the garage was added - not the eralier house. If anyone can see this cabin building in photos of the Berghof, please post the photo - maybe I missed it.

Great photos, Ernie - thanks!!! Great shots of the Platterhof Garage, before they tore off the upper two floors.
Alpenfestung wrote:
steather wrote:One item is a piece of square iron resting on concrete, 1 foot by 1 foot, with an iron ball in the middle.
Steve
Steve,
Thanks for posting the link to your video - it looks like there are quite a few artifacts left at the Berghof site. I don't think I've seen pictures of the square metal plate with the ball before (does anybody here know what it is?) It would be interesting if someone familiar with the original layout could mark the locations of what's left on a plan of the Berghof basement (or would it be the first floor since everything was buried in the 50s?). Maybe that could be part of Geoff's book!
Peter
Pavel is working on that - a computer diagram of what is left now at the site, compared to the original layout. I think sometime in the near future, it may be possible to lay out lines of stones at the site, to mark the walls, etc.

I never saw that metal plate with ball either! I have no idea what it was!

Geoff
Attachments
wachenfeldbackcabin2.jpg
wachenfeldbackcabin2.jpg (72.14 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
wachenfeldbackcabin1.jpg
wachenfeldbackcabin1.jpg (66.87 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 29 Aug 2011, 19:41

it looks like there are quite a few artifacts left at the Berghof site
Not really. I was there in Oktober but there was a few bricks protruding from the ground but I left them
as I hope others will.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 29 Aug 2011, 19:44

[quote="Ernie Primeau]
Mysterious steps on the Berghof site. Don't know where/what these were for. Perhaps someone could help?
Image[/quote]

There were various steps going down the hillside in front of the Adjutancy side, that went to an "Alpinum," or Alpine rock garden. Some of the foundation parts of this Alpinum are still there, maybe that is where these steps were/are.

Geoff
Attachments
berghofplanwestside1.jpg
berghofplanwestside1.jpg (72.95 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

Ernie Primeau

Post by Ernie Primeau » 29 Aug 2011, 22:02

Geoff Walden wrote:
muller1945 wrote:I think that hut is not the kampfhaus but i reckon it was behind the old wachenfeld house. If see look at the building to the rear of wachenfeld house you can see the three chimneys, plus the steep slope does look like the steep slope behind the berghof. Nice photo tho i have never seen it before. The hut was torn down when they did the retaining wall i think.
I think you are right, muller1945. I could only find this little house in photos of Haus Wachenfeld, and then only in photos after the garage was added - not the eralier house. If anyone can see this cabin building in photos of the Berghof, please post the photo - maybe I missed it.

Great photos, Ernie - thanks!!! Great shots of the Platterhof Garage, before they tore off the upper two floors.
You're welcome Geoff - and everyone else who has been good enough to post thanks.

Here is one for you Geoff - a photo of the little house again. You can just make it out in the upper left:

Hitler's bedroom in the Berghof bunker. Taken in 1962 before Hitler's private quaters where closed to the public:

Larger image: http://upload.project-j.nl/uploads/1446957220.jpg

Larger image: http://upload.project-j.nl/uploads/1159462299.jpg

Larger image: http://upload.project-j.nl/uploads/997886283.jpg

I find this a strange photo. The tourist seems to be a modern dressed man with a can in his hand! A time traveler?! :D

Gasthaus Hoher Goll (with Gen. Walker Hotel on the right) - 2 AUG 1962:
Full width photo: http://upload.project-j.nl/uploads/724733666.jpg

Hope you enjoyed them! :D

PavelH

Post by PavelH » 29 Aug 2011, 22:21

Superb posts Ernie ,never ever seen shoot of Hitler`s bedroom in the bunker ,something says me that you have another photos of Hitler`s private rooms in the tunnels ,looking forward to see`em here :)
I must admit ,that our little house we can see only on the pictures with the Wachenfeld ,however the map in Hartmann`s book shows the little house above the Berghof and not above the Wachenfeld - so let`s find a picture with little house in Berghof times :)

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 29 Aug 2011, 23:00

Hitler's Alpine Retreat

Page 62 (number 78) a view of Haus Wachenfeld and toward upper left hand of the
photograph also appears a small building.

Also if I am correct page 48 (number 50) show Wachenfelf and in above Wachenfeld in the trees
seems to be this building?

Just about to take off but tomorrow if anyone wants I can take a scan?

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 29 Aug 2011, 23:00

Outstanding photos, Ernie (and everyone)! As mentioned before in much earlier posts, there are some brick foundations of very small dimensions still standing immediately above the remains of the Berghof but I think Geoff explained that these were for a water reservoir or something similar. I did take a photo of what I assume is still a bomb crater from the air raid and in the background can be seen the faint outlines of this structure. These remains are as far as I can remember directly behind and above the Berghof.
Attachments
AHFBC.JPG
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

Rolbarus

Post by Rolbarus » 30 Aug 2011, 00:08

Isn´t it part which fall down when the Berghof was torn down in 1952?
Because pics from bombing 1945 doesnt show something down the Berghof

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 30 Aug 2011, 07:09

I don't know what it is but there are brick ruins of a small structure above and behind the Berghof, that is the ruins are behind the retaining wall. I seem to remember that if you stand behind the L shape in the retaining wall, facing the back of the Berghof, these ruined foundations are to your left.
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

Alpenfestung

Post by Alpenfestung » 30 Aug 2011, 09:10

Geoff Walden wrote:I think you are right, muller1945. I could only find this little house in photos of Haus Wachenfeld, and then only in photos after the garage was added - not the eralier house. If anyone can see this cabin building in photos of the Berghof, please post the photo - maybe I missed it.
Geoff
Here's another picture of the little cabin above the (finished) Berghof, you can see the chimney and part of the roof behind the tree in the upper left corner of the picture - I never noticed it before.

Peter
Attachments
BerghofCabin001.jpg
cabin behind tree in upper left corner
BerghofCabin001.jpg (42.61 KiB) Viewed 2729 times
BerghofCabin01.jpg
"Berghof Wachenfeld" postcard
(Ferdinand Porsche)

PavelH

Post by PavelH » 30 Aug 2011, 10:05

Well done Peter !

that`s what I thought ,the little cabin stood there after remodelling too. What`s really strange ,I have surely seen this pictures of the Berghof many times in the past ,but never spot our little cabin?

Thankx Peter

Max

Post by Max » 30 Aug 2011, 13:09

Is that the hut in the back centre of this shot -between the two clumps of trees ?
http://postcards.delcampe.co.uk/page/it ... escription
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 30 Aug 2011, 14:54

PavelH wrote:Superb posts Ernie ,never ever seen shoot of Hitler`s bedroom in the bunker ,something says me that you have another photos of Hitler`s private rooms in the tunnels ,looking forward to see`em here :)
I must admit ,that our little house we can see only on the pictures with the Wachenfeld ,however the map in Hartmann`s book shows the little house above the Berghof and not above the Wachenfeld - so let`s find a picture with little house in Berghof times :)

that`s what I thought ,the little cabin stood there after remodelling too. What`s really strange ,I have surely seen this pictures of the Berghof many times in the past ,but never spot our little cabin?
Hi all,

That's one of my favorite aspects of this forum - it brings things to my attention that I never noticed before. Thanks for those new photos, Ernie and Peter!
Ernie Primeau wrote:I find this a strange photo. The tourist seems to be a modern dressed man with a can in his hand! A time traveler?! :D
That's Johnnyrocket, on one of his time travel expeditions. :milwink:
Mannheim wrote:Outstanding photos, Ernie (and everyone)! As mentioned before in much earlier posts, there are some brick foundations of very small dimensions still standing immediately above the remains of the Berghof but I think Geoff explained that these were for a water reservoir or something similar. I did take a photo of what I assume is still a bomb crater from the air raid and in the background can be seen the faint outlines of this structure. These remains are as far as I can remember directly behind and above the Berghof.

I don't know what it is but there are brick ruins of a small structure above and behind the Berghof, that is the ruins are behind the retaining wall. I seem to remember that if you stand behind the L shape in the retaining wall, facing the back of the Berghof, these ruined foundations are to your left.
Mannheim, I think what you are describing is one of the cable shafts, for access to the electrical and phone cables that ran underground. A small rectagular hole, lined with bricks, with smaller round access holes in the side, and a frame on top where there used to be a cover? You can see these in various places on the Obersalzberg - there are four or five of them going up the hill behind the Berghof, toward the Platterhof site.

Well, though, your location sounds like that concrete water reservoir. But it's concrete, not brick. The cable shaft that I am thinking of is just above the retaining wall behind the Adjutancy side (and others going up the hill behind there).

Geoff

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”