Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Mannheim

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Mannheim » 04 Sep 2011, 09:19

A few shots of the Platterhof garages taken in 1989.
Attachments
AHFPHGE.JPG
Platterhof garage exterior.
AHFPHGI.JPG
Platterhof Garge interior facing the opposite direction.
AHFPHGI2.JPG
Platterhof garage interior.
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

Cor

Post by Cor » 04 Sep 2011, 16:20

Nice images mannheim, i see they used the platterhof garage still as garage when you were there.

Anyway i have a question about the Göring-tunnels. In the magazine of after the battle there is connection between the Göring-tunnels and the house from Bodenschatz. Is there still an entrance or a door to these tunnels in the Bodenschatz-house?

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 07 Sep 2011, 01:46

Sorry, can't help with the Bodenschatz tunnels. However I did find another shot of the Guest House. And I found "After the Battle" Issue Number 9 and no, the Sherman tank photo is not in there as someone pointed out. Maybe I dreamt it? Anyway, the "After the Battle" issue was released in 1975, shortly before I took my photos.
Attachments
AHFGHW.JPG
View down the right-hand side, facing the front.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 07 Sep 2011, 01:47

Git that wrong: it's a view of the rear of the building.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 07 Sep 2011, 15:40

Cor wrote:Nice images mannheim, i see they used the Platterhof garage still as garage when you were there.
Anyway i have a question about the Göring tunnels. In the magazine of after the battle there is connection between the Göring-tunnels and the house from Bodenschatz. Is there still an entrance or a door to these tunnels in the Bodenschatz-house?
I think Ralf could say for sure, but as I understand it, the entrance to the tunnel that was in the Bodenschatz-house, is now closed, either with concrete blocks or masonry.
robertmountfor wrote:I dont know what you guys think, but what really troubles me is people who steal the large pieces of rock out of the sides of both driveways.... Soon it could all be gone for good.
I caught someone attempting to crow bar out a huge rock two years ago...managed to see him off, but of course, its completely un protected at any other time.
Amen! Good for you!
steather wrote:I've been reading posts stating that there is very little to no pieces (Bricks/Concrete) remaining of the original Berghof. When I was there May 2011, I couldn't help but notice the size of the trees on the site. I'm not an expert on tree growth, but I would suggest that many of those trees have been there for 30 - 40 years?
I've also read that there has been rubble from other areas dumped on the site (not sure exactly where).
Is it possible the rubble under the trees in certain areas is from the Berghof?
Steve
Steve, yes, there are pieces of the Berghof left to be found around there. The difficulty is in discerning these pieces of brick, etc., from all the rubble that has been dumped on the site. Even in the early 1960s, before most of the tree cover, much of the site had had rubble dumped on it from other places. Most of the rubble was dumped on the flat part, where the house itself was, although there was also some rubble dumped down the slopes as well. It's the question, especially with a single brick - how can you tell this brick came from the Berghof, when bricks from other buildings have been dumped there too?
Mannheim wrote:For what it's worth, the other photo of the soccer field is the parade ground shown above, looking in the opposite direction. The final photo is the same field today. Anyone know if that pond ( which has a lifesaving ring and emergency instructions!) is a bomb crater from 1945?
Mannheim, that pond is artificial - added after they tore out the basements to the SS Kaserne buildings (along with the firing range - they went down quite a ways to take all of this out).

Geoff

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 08 Sep 2011, 07:57

Thanks, Geoff. I did wonder about that pond. I also have reservations about the pond near the Intercontinental which I have seen billed as "on the site of Göring's swimming pool".

PavelH

Post by PavelH » 08 Sep 2011, 20:35

Mannheim ,thank you for your superb photos. I always missed pictures from this time period. Really excellent for me to see our buildings before tolal demolition.
It`s new info to me ,I thought that one and only entry to the Goerings tunnel system`s from his former adjuntant house? So that`s mean , there`s no posibility to get in today? Coz the iron door ,which we can see by the patch round Intercontinetal ,are welded :(

Pavel

friend_of_Obersalzberg

Post by friend_of_Obersalzberg » 08 Sep 2011, 21:41

Geoff, as always, you are right. The door between the Adjudantur and the Göring Tunnel is boarded-up. I don´t know the exact manner, but it must be very effective, because not even Florian Beierl could use this "entrance" during his official measurements. And so we come to PavelH: Florian used an unorthodox entrance, a drain. It´s located in the road in the front of the Adjudantur. But don´t rejoice: There´s no way to come in without permission and without the right equipment.
Greetings
Ralf

jonowitz0

Post by jonowitz0 » 08 Sep 2011, 23:27

Here are a few old pictures of the Berghof.
Berghof01.jpg
Berghof01.jpg (396.65 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
Berghof04.jpg
Berghof04.jpg (320.78 KiB) Viewed 1259 times

CPB

Post by CPB » 13 Sep 2011, 18:57

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

CPB

Post by CPB » 13 Sep 2011, 19:01

Here are some recent pick ups. This is a private photo, taken at the Bormann house I believe.

I wonder who the two women in the photo are. Maybe Inge Ley and Frau Bormann. Any other ideas?
Attachments
House 1.jpg
House 1.jpg (23.29 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
House 2.jpg
House 2.jpg (15.54 KiB) Viewed 1124 times

DaveL111

Post by DaveL111 » 13 Sep 2011, 19:05

Doubt it was the Borman house. Wrong angle and I don't believe Borman had his house that early?

DaveL111

Post by DaveL111 » 13 Sep 2011, 19:05

Maybe taken from the Turken?

CPB

Post by CPB » 13 Sep 2011, 19:07

Yeah, I think you're right.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 13 Sep 2011, 19:16

I believe I have seen that photo before but considering there is now 131 pages its really
hard to check unless one wants to spend all day going through this thread.
I was perhaps thinking the other photo would give more details.

Thankyou for all the photos double or not! Its all appreciated.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”