Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Paulheald

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Paulheald » 02 Feb 2013, 11:59

These are interesting pictures. I have heard it said that one of the things in Adolf Hitler's favor is that he foresaw the future of color photography and was very much involved with its early development. Somehow I don't think the Fuehrer would have been terribly impressed with the "Sex Pistols"!

I have heard and read quite a lot recently about a UK BBC documentary called "The Nazis - a warning from history". I was going to place an order on Amazon.com for this DVD. However, I would be most interested to learn if any of the many top experts on this thread had seen this documentary and would value their informed opinions. Maybe there are some previously unseen pics and cine taken at the Berghof. In my opinion there is far too much photographic memorabilia of the Third Reich that is just same-same and I would welcome seeing something new - particularly that of the Berghof in its heyday.

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 02 Feb 2013, 14:50

I have heard it said that one of the things in Adolf Hitler's favor is that he foresaw the future of color photography and was very much involved with its early development.
That sounds like complete mythology. Colour photography equipment using plates was on the market around 1900, though it was expensive. Colour film was invented by Kodak in the US in 1935. Hitler had no scientific training and so far as I know did not have even an amateur interest in it, except for military technology.
I have heard and read quite a lot recently about a UK BBC documentary called "The Nazis - a warning from history". I was going to place an order on Amazon.com for this DVD. However, I would be most interested to learn if any of the many top experts on this thread had seen this documentary and would value their informed opinions.
If it's based on the book of the same name by Laurence Rees, it won't tell you anything you don't already know, although it might have interesting footage.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 02 Feb 2013, 15:40

Paul,

You will find "The Nazi's - A warning from history" on youtube.
Real Player will download it for you to your computer or you can
save it to your favourites at youtube.

Annelie

Cor

Post by Cor » 02 Feb 2013, 17:57

Here in the Netherlands the documentary was 5 euro, so i bought it. It's a good documentary, but nothing you dont already know if you are interested in the third reich and especially there is nothing new about the berghof or obersalzberg.

the part about arthur greiser was interesting for me and also the music chosen in the documentary is good, but as i already said nothing you dont already know.

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 02 Feb 2013, 18:05

Thank you Adam Carr - your knowledge of Hitler and the period of the Third Reich is outstanding. Thank you also, Annelie, for your prompt - nothing like saving a few bucks where one can!

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 02 Feb 2013, 20:08

Cor is correct!

It's a good documentary, but nothing you dont already know if you are interested in the third reich and especially there is nothing new about the berghof or obersalzberg
I think you will find more information here and on Geoff Walden's site than you would from an made for
entertainment documentary.

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 03 Feb 2013, 07:25

Thanks Cor - that was a very good price too!

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 10 Feb 2013, 10:27

I am contemplating one more trip back to the Obersalzberg this spring or early summer. I have one outstanding and unfulfilled wish and that is to walk the walk from Zum Türken to the site of the Teehaus. I think that it was Geoff Walden who posted a very nice map of this walk some time back. However, that does not indicate the associated elevations. From the many that have done this walk, I have a few questions:

1. What length of time would an average walker take to reach the Teehaus from Zum Türken?
2. Are the general public allowed to walk across the Golf course?
3. The Great Window of the Berghof seems to show an unobscured view of the Mooslahnkopf, would that be the same view from the site of the Teehaus?
4. It would appear that AH used to drive back from the Teehaus - is there still a road that one could use to access this site by car?

Any hints and tips would be much appreciated from those that have visited this interesting site.

muller1945

Post by muller1945 » 10 Feb 2013, 11:31

Hi, it would take you around 25-35 minutes to reach the tea house, depending if you are walking fast etc. The golf course is private property, tho to get to the tea house use the map geoff has, its an easy route. You cant see the tea house from the berghof because of the trees and of the other trees around the tea house. The road to drive back to the tea house went down to where the golf clubhouse is now, i think some of the road may be a path now, tho not sure best to luck at a google map may be. The tea house is my number one place to go when i am there, nice and peaceful and historic.

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 10 Feb 2013, 11:42

Thnank you "muller" that's most interesting - I thought that the walk would have taken a lot longer.

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 11 Feb 2013, 04:57

I never realized that the Berghof rock wall extended around on the opposite side (right side) of the driveway.

Johnny R.
Attachments
cc.jpg
cc.jpg (61.65 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
• Natural Born American Citizen
• American Patriot
• U.S. Army Vet.1969-'71—Spc.5 Field Artillery
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 11 Feb 2013, 13:34

Hi JR,

There were two separate rock borders, one on either side of the drive. Because the one on the "Bormann Tree" side (north side) was lower and is mostly buried, it has not suffered the removal of stones like the remaining wall on the other side (closest to the Türken).

@Paulheald - muller1945 just about covered it all - I'll just add some notes.

1. What length of time would an average walker take to reach the Teehuis from Zum Turken?
It seems like it usually takes my groups about 45 minutes, but I've never actually timed it. That includes time spent looking at bomb craters, peering into the valley to see the Berghof tunnel emergency exit down below the Türken, visiting the Moll Bunker, etc. It definitely takes me longer on the way back, due to climbing back up to the elevation of the Türken.

2. Are the general public allowed to walk across the Golf course?
Most definitely NO. Signs are posted, and if non-golfers go out there, golfers may try to hit them with golf balls (it has happened).

4. It would appear that AH used to drive back from the Teehuis - is there still a road that one could use to access this site by car?
No, but as muller1945 said, part of that drive is now a golf cart path. It winds down the hill from the 13th hole, past trees and rocks, and then on across the golf course and around to the parking lot of the Gutshof. This is part of that path - http://maps.google.com/maps?q=47.636648 ... 1&t=h&z=18 . The Teehaus site is about here -
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=47.639283 ... 1&t=h&z=18

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 12 Feb 2013, 15:56

Thank you Muller 1945 and Geoff, that is most useful and informative. I will be most careful of the belligerent golfers! Do you yourself do tours of the Berghof and its environs, Geoff?

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 12 Feb 2013, 22:04

Heads up for anyone interested in photos on ebay - note the umbrella stand in driveway. Tourism?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... ink:top:en
Attachments
Berghof.jpg
Berghof.jpg (117.89 KiB) Viewed 1526 times

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 12 Feb 2013, 22:08

It probably wasn't a Döner stand! :milwink:

Probably good ol' Bavarian Bratwurst mit Brötchen. Yum!

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”