Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Geoff Walden

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Geoff Walden » 15 May 2014 08:01

Thanks, Christian, that's what I was getting as well, as I read through this info (I am still reading ... I looked at all the maps, plans, and photos first) :milwink:

I saw that one plan is to just build onto the north side of the existing building, which would effectively destroy or obscure all that's left of the original building, except the front arches. I don't like this idea either, but I have to admit that they destroyed 90 percent of the original building when they built the display in 1999 anyway, so what's left can hardly be considered an intact historic building. I do like this idea better than building some structure on the Berghof site.

What was all that about maybe building to the southeast of the present Dokumentation building, where that unfinished tunnel still exists from the Platterhof system? That's a steep hillside there ... are they really thinking about building there?

Like Makarov said, MUCH has changed on the OSB since 1995, but if any readers have been putting off a visit to the Obersalzberg, I'd advise you to do it soon, while the Berghof site is still open to explore and study on your own.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 15 May 2014 12:17

Makes sharing your old photos of the site important for many who really are interested.
Thank goodness for Axis Forum and all the generous people who make this thread
what it is with like minded people.

:welcome:

rosstcorbett

Post by rosstcorbett » 16 May 2014 09:06

Hi everybody.

Can I just quickly say how much I am loving this thread. I have started from page 1 and have currently made it to page 69 and am learning a lot.

There is so much information and seeing the passion everybody here has for this part of history is just terrific.

Thanks again.

Ross :)
GOEBBELS HOUSE & BUNKER VIDEO → https://youtu.be/1il8IkoSuuk

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 16 May 2014 13:16

Ross Corbett,

We have some really knowledgeable people at the forum of various
interests and strengths...its good they get the recognition they
deserve through Axis forum which you acknowledged on your resource
page.

thanks
A.

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 16 May 2014 17:35

FYI: Rare Berghof kitchen tile for sale on ebay. Just happen to find listing this morning.
No I'm not the one selling it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Obersalzberg-Ad ... 4d1d3370a2
Berghof Tile.jpg
Johnny R.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
• Natural Born American Citizen
• American Patriot
• U.S. Army Vet.1969-'71—Spc.5 Field Artillery
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

CPB

Post by CPB » 17 May 2014 07:43

I've seen this pattern before...interesting.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 17 May 2014 09:33

I agree, this lot looks familiar ... the tile anyway.

The photos are interesting. Another GI who apparently thought the Türken was Hitler's house (or mistook the Türken for the Berghof, anyway). Even today, I have heard of casual visitors who thought the Türken was Hitler's house, either because (1) their guide told them so (yes, I've heard this!), or (2), they could find no remains of the Berghof, and not knowing it is gone now, they just seized on the adjacent Türken as "that must be Hitler's house."

CPB

Post by CPB » 17 May 2014 11:02

Never seen this view before...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400320958.257240.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 17 May 2014 13:33

FYI:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-MONUMENTS-M ... 1202392226

The MONUMENTS MEN GERMAN NAZI WWII HERMANN GOERING ART TAKEN BY 101st AIRBORNE...This artifacte is on ebay if anyone is interested in some good close-up of the Herman W. Goering Leather work from his home at Berchtesgaden on the Obersalzberg.
A1.JPG
A2.JPG
A3.JPG
Johnny R.
• American Patriot
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 17 May 2014 14:30

FYI:
Dick Winters and Easy Company (Band of Brothers) at the Eagle's Nest, Hitler's residence 1945.
http://imgur.com/FcC1rsH

I posted this great image here—I don't think there is any ® copyright problems here? I've also attached the link to the site for further research on this...if anyone on the forum is interested. This could have been posted earlier on this Forum thread, but not sure?
Obersalzberg '45.jpg
Johnny R.
• American Patriot

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 17 May 2014 20:25

Great photo, JohnnyR, thanks! I, for one, had not seen it before.

I have been trying to figure out where this photo was taken. They weren't on the Obersalzberg or at the Eagle's Nest (Kehlsteinhaus), because you don't get that angle view of Watzmann and Hochkalter from there. I first assumed they were on the back terrace of the Berchtesgadener Hof hotel in town, but I compared views from there, and that wasn't the location either - they were somewhere to the west of there. Then I tried the Kanzlei in Stanggass, but no, it was somewhere back toward Berchtesgaden.

So it was somewhere between Berchtesgaden itself and Stanggass ... maybe at the Hotel Geiger, or the Dietrich Eckart Krankenhaus. I'm guessing they were sitting outside the Hotel Geiger ...

Geoff

N.C. Wyeth

Post by N.C. Wyeth » 17 May 2014 20:55

Could that photo have been taken close to Zell Am See . . . maybe in Bruck [Bruck an der Großglocknerstraße], near Schloss Fischorn . . . or possibly in Kaprun, nearby?

A few years ago, while at Schloss Fischorn, I was told Easy Company was once stationed in the field, close by [and later, Kaprun as well] . . . and eventually moved to "higher ground", to a local Hotel near the town of Zell. One can see Zell Am See [the lake alongside the town, that is] from this field, where the Hotel was that they [briefly] took upon themselves to occupy - but only from a distance. The mountainscape looks familiar - much like that of the region. But I must confess, I could be mistaken . . . as at the time I was in Bruck, I wasn't thinking about Easy Company - I was searching for the Fegelein Treasure . . . :D

My guess is somewhere in Kaprun . . . but as so much of the area looks alike around there, I wouldn't discount that Hotel near Zell Am See either . . . :thumbsup:
History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time; it illuminates reality, vitalizes memory, provides guidance in daily life, and brings us tidings of antiquity. - Cicero

Cor

Post by Cor » 18 May 2014 22:55

Geoff Walden wrote:Great photo, JohnnyR, thanks! I, for one, had not seen it before.

I have been trying to figure out where this photo was taken. They weren't on the Obersalzberg or at the Eagle's Nest (Kehlsteinhaus), because you don't get that angle view of Watzmann and Hochkalter from there. I first assumed they were on the back terrace of the Berchtesgadener Hof hotel in town, but I compared views from there, and that wasn't the location either - they were somewhere to the west of there. Then I tried the Kanzlei in Stanggass, but no, it was somewhere back toward Berchtesgaden.

So it was somewhere between Berchtesgaden itself and Stanggass ... maybe at the Hotel Geiger, or the Dietrich Eckart Krankenhaus. I'm guessing they were sitting outside the Hotel Geiger ...

Geoff
i had seen the photo before on a facebook page and they were refering to the berghof or the eagles nest. At Both places i had my doubts so good to see that someone is confirming my doubts. :)

Ohio_roadie

Post by Ohio_roadie » 20 May 2014 04:17

Hi there everyone! I'm been reading the forum for while but finally decided to join up. You all never cease to amaze me with your resources and information about this area! Thanks!

Best!

Ohio_Roadie

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 20 May 2014 14:58

Ohio_roadie wrote:Hi there everyone! I'm been reading the forum for while but finally decided to join up. You all never cease to amaze me with your resources and information about this area! Thanks!

Best!

Ohio_Roadie
Welcome aboard Ohio.

Johnny R.
• American Patriot

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”