Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Annelie

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Annelie » 06 Jun 2014, 13:38

That is good to hear the grounds keeper is alive and well.

Thanks.

Cor

Post by Cor » 06 Jun 2014, 23:06

friend_of_Obersalzberg wrote:
I will tell you, Geoff: Because they are idiots.

Greetings
Ralf
Its just a staircase, they erase the whole platterhof yes oke they are idiots but this staircase its not worth to bother.

yes i regret it, but it's only for a few Axis History Berghof thread followers maybe important, that's no reason to not erase the staircase. Maybe their is a good reason for it.

friend_of_Obersalzberg

Post by friend_of_Obersalzberg » 06 Jun 2014, 23:28

People find always good reasons for destroying disrupting history. But this is not the reason, why I´m angry. It´s easy: It cost tax money, so also my money. And only for the reason, that it was built in "that time". And here 10000 Euro, and there 20000 Euro and so on...at a time, where I have to change the suspension (shock absorbers) from my car, due to the bad condition of our highways and roads. This bother me. It´s not the staircase...it´s only a symbol for crazy thinking and wrong priorities.
But you are right, it´s not a theme for that forum.

rosstcorbett

Getting to the Berghof in November?

Post by rosstcorbett » 08 Jun 2014, 16:32

I'm hoping to be in Munich for a week in November and would like to then spend a couple of days in Berchtesgaden.

Due to the weather, is it possible to travel up to the Berghof site? I won't have a car which could be a problem. Taxi? Bus?

Do you live locally, would you like to meet up and visit the site together?

I am very grateful for any advice.

Ross
GOEBBELS HOUSE & BUNKER VIDEO → https://youtu.be/1il8IkoSuuk

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 08 Jun 2014, 17:46

Hi Ross,

November is taking a chance on the weather ... there can be no snow, or there can be a foot or more of snow up on the Obersalzberg (it can happen in October as well). But you could always check the weather forecast while in Munich.

If you take the bus from the train station in Berchtesgaden to the Obersalzberg Kehlsteinhaus parking area (this is a common route - many people do this), it will let you out at a bus stop where the Platterhof Hotel used to be located. From there, you can walk down the steps (the same staircase discussed just above), past the restaurant and parking lot and follow the signs to the Dokumentation Obersalzberg (you will walk down more steps and then follow a paved pathway downhill). You can stop at the museum there, or if you just keep walking on that path past the museum, it will take you to the Berghof site in less than 10 minutes.

Hope this helps,

Geoff
"Hitler's Berchtesgaden"

rosstcorbett

Post by rosstcorbett » 10 Jun 2014, 18:54

Thank you very much for the reply Geoff. I will wait until closer to the time to check the weather forecast as you mentioned.

Thanks again :)

Ross
GOEBBELS HOUSE & BUNKER VIDEO → https://youtu.be/1il8IkoSuuk

sobel

Post by sobel » 11 Jun 2014, 12:58

Hi Just found this interesting article, I post for interest and possible comments. I realise it's a bit old but gives some counterviews of what's happened in the area

regards

Alex K
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... ne/303844/

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 11 Jun 2014, 20:12

Ah yes ... Mr. Ryback and his "Hitlerpilger" ... that's all he ever seems to talk about when he writes about the Obersalzberg (granted, this article is nine years old. but it's not the only one like this). This characterization is really tiring in the extreme. Over many years, I have met scores of people at the Berghof site, visitors from several different countries. As far as I could tell, only a single one of those many people was an actual "Hitler worshipper." All the rest were just interested in the history. The hordes of "Hitler pilgrims" supposedly visiting there ... I've never seen them. But to call all of us who like to visit the Obersalzberg "Hitlerpilger" sells articles better in media like "The Atlantic," I guess.

And what became of the much-lauded InterConti Resort? In 2010, the Süddeutsche Zeitung had an article that said it had never turned a profit, but had lost over 15 million euro, all of the Bavarian taxpayers' money, because the hotel is owned and operated by the Bavarian government (not by InterContinental). When I was there last month, staying a week at the Türken, the InterConti was obviously nearly empty.

To come full circle, now, the Dokumentation Obersalzberg has plans to finally stop ignoring the Berghof site, but to incorporate it into the historic interpretation of the area. As they should have done in 1995. Better late than never, I guess. (Of course, this depends on what they actually do with the site ...)

sobel

Post by sobel » 11 Jun 2014, 21:15

Hi Geoff, you are obviously more familiar with the man and his views than I am! I did get the impression that he seems or seemed pre-occupied with the "Wrong type of tourist" but I thought I'd leave comments to those more knowledgeable on the subject. What puzzled me was that one moment he seems to be decrying the bulldozers and earthmoving machines destroying all the old buildings with no thought to preservation and the next, the people who come to see them. I havn't been to the new hotel but from what I've seen it's just an expensive blot on the landscape.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 12 Jun 2014, 14:26

Hi Alex,

I agree - that article seems to have internal contradictions. On the one hand, it seems to call for preservation, but on the other, it claims that numbers of "Hitlerpilger" go there to worship Hitler at the remains.

Fritz Sauerkraut

Post by Fritz Sauerkraut » 13 Jun 2014, 01:09

Hello my friends,

Busy reading this great page again. Had the honour to meet Geoff again at Berchtesgaden. This time the weather was rather hot and warm, sunshine all the day, not like last year in middle september as it rained nearly all the time and once, snow felt on Kehlsteinhaus ( happend this time again ).

Unfortunately they closed the Holzkafer, was a great place to stay and eat good food, but there are plenty of other good places to visit at the Obersalzberg area, offering excellent bavarian food and beer of course.

I have a lot going in my life by the moment ...... new job, new girlfriend, new car and maybe soon, another place to live.

Will try to visit this great page more frequently.

Thanks all of you for keeping up the good work and thanks Geoff for all that fun time in Berchtesgaden, your great Webpage and of course, you'r new book wich is fantastic :thumbsup:

See ya all,
Fritz Sauerkraut
:milsmile:

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 14 Jun 2014, 18:43

Sorry, I don't remember if I already posted this but thought someone might be interested

The 101st airborne is included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w6IEhTtZoM

WW2 Berchtesgaden, Germany (May 10, 1945)

I wonder who are the three soldiers sitting around the table?

PavelH

Post by PavelH » 14 Jun 2014, 23:04

Nice link Annelie.

Look at this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A_l9sKQcho
round 30:00 interesting shots from OSB`s geenhouse, never seen before.
Link`s about Reichskazlei in Stangass, bunkers inclusive.
P.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 14 Jun 2014, 23:30

Great thanks......going to view and save it.

In the link which I posted it made me cringe when seeing how the works of art are handled.
They probably had no idea the value of some of the works of art there. Handled without
gloves and paintings just carried out like they were ordinary. LOLOL...wonder what
the veterans now think that they know they were priceless.

Still would like to know who the three were around the table that day and
what they were meeting about?

PavelH

Post by PavelH » 14 Jun 2014, 23:36

Generalfeldmarschall Albert Kesselring is on of them. First who is coming to the table.
.. next are "other" luftwaffe guys.
He has HQ at hotel Schiffmeister by Königsee, but it can be filmed at Berchtesgadener hof? hotel Geiger?

Something says me :milwink: , that they are speaking about capitulation, however they are pretty happy?!

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”