Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Annelie

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Annelie » 02 Jul 2017, 16:30

You failed to post the link.

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 03 Jul 2017, 01:42

Interesting still shot I pulled from the MGM movie "Devil Makes Three".

Lots of history happened in that room—effecting millions of people through out the whole world. In sociology they would call that the "Cascade Effect".

Thanks for the posting PaveIH.
great room Image from Devil Makes Three.jpg
Great room still image from movie.
• Natural Born American Citizen
• American Patriot
• U.S. Army Vet.1969-'71—Spc.5 Field Artillery
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 03 Jul 2017, 20:31

Hi Christian,

Thanks for posting these photo links, showing that as I thought (on page 314), this was a window crank handle, not a Berghof door handle. A significant find, nonetheless.

Geoff

tunix0 wrote:
Johnnyrocket wrote:BERGHOF FRONT DOOR HANDLE

Hi Johnny,
because the handle does not look like a door handle, I've been looking for something similar. For me, this looks more like a locking handle of a window, since the handle was rather turned at the knob than was pressed at a door. It's just not a conventional door handle.
So I searched the Berghof and Kehlsteinhaus photos and found the following photo. It shows Hitler in front of a window in the Kehlsteinhaus. And before him at the window you can see a handle which is very similar to the one you posted. It might be there for the window lock. What do you think?

Pic of the Window:
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/109 ... js3QZ2nMe9
And there is another Pic from the "Scharitzkehlzimmer". At the right bottom of the Window you can fairly see the handle:
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/109 ... zYAMzpIAXN
Pics are from the Album "Kehlsteinhaus":
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/109 ... zEop5ot4dS
Regards
Christian
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 03 Jul 2017, 20:38

tunix0 wrote:Wow, really great links Max!

The bowling alley was also decorated for a wedding, does anyone know who is on the photo?

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/109 ... 95SVbaGqLl
Eva Braun and Adjutant Fritz Wiedemann

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 03 Jul 2017, 20:44

Johnnyrocket wrote:Am I seeing things?
"Band of Brothers" image has the mountain view "flopped" from the Berghof window.
It also appears that the balcony juts right off from the Great room massive picture window, which is not accurate?
364317722-berghof-collection-eva-braun-dictator-nazi-architecture.jpgDCOTqg2_Xg_AALC_k_jpg_large.jpg
I'm catching up today .... :milwink:

Aren't those photos posted by Ernie, colorized versions of original May 1945 black/white photos? That is, not stills from the miniseries? I don't know where the photos showing the building were taken (or if they were taken at the same place as the next one), but the group photo was not taken on the Obersalzberg at all, but down in Berchtesgaden (as our friend Ralf discovered way back in this thread somewhere).
Geoff

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 03 Jul 2017, 21:05

"Interesting still shot I pulled from the MGM movie "Devil Makes Three""

Johnnyrocket's posting of the view through the doorway from the central hall at the Berghof, atop the staircase down into the Great Hall, tells quite a story, doesn't it?! A burned-out room literally picked clean of every possible shred of artifacts, from the coffered ceiling to the wall coverings to the flooring, the furniture and the carpets! What the British bombing and Schaub's torching didn't destroy, the occupying GIs and the local townspeople "liberated" completely! In "The Devil makes Three," we also see the basement of the building, probably entered through the garage, and it all looks the same -- devastated, just as the remains of the Third Reich were...

Br. James

N.C. Wyeth

Post by N.C. Wyeth » 04 Jul 2017, 03:00

Br. James wrote:Right you are, Johnnyrocket, and that "Band of Brothers"scene wasn't filmed on the Berghof terrace, either, or even on the lawn outside of the Haus Wachenfeld section of the Berghof. But they did the best they could, since the Berghof and it's surroundings had been destroyed long before "Band of Brothers" began filming. Today we would expect that the film producer and director would have the whole place recreated electronically, which they could do, but that is also very expensive. In the end, "Band of Brothers" was a wonderful re-enactment of the era and I'm glad they made it!

Br. James
Maybe my mind fails me - and I could be wrong - but I don't think this photo was taken at the Berghof, nor in Berchtesgaden. If my memory serves me well, I was once told that is the Hohe Tauern mountain range in the background - as seen from when the 506 PIR was stationed in the Zell Am See/Kaprun area. And I think it's possible all of those "terrace photos" may have come from that very same location. I'm fairly certain one can still visit that terrace - or at least where it was, as it's not quite the same today - as I recall being there some years ago. The hotel where some of the Officers were billeted, had quite a view . . . and down below - where the men were camped for a while - was a beautiful field next to the lake, right beside Schloss Fischorn - where Herman Goering spent his first night in captivity, following surrender to Golden Sill and entourage. As an aside, Schloss Fischorn was also the site of the horse farm operated by Hermann Fegelein. That whole area is steeped in WW2 history . . . and much of what happened with BOB around there, is quite interesting - and so very untold.

Additionally, if you study the credits for BOB . . . you will come to find many of the scenes that portrayed the end of the war were filmed in Zell Am See. There is a very small "clique" of unknown tourism - even still to this day - of having one's photos taken in some of those sites you see in the miniseries. :thumbsup:

PS - I have some old inquiries here about Schloss Fischorn - and still check them for updates, every so often. That is another place, steeped in great and untold history! :milsmile:
Attachments
DSC_0232_zps45bfc4bd.jpg
DDQdl_UHXo_AEXyni.jpg
History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time; it illuminates reality, vitalizes memory, provides guidance in daily life, and brings us tidings of antiquity. - Cicero

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 04 Jul 2017, 03:40

Mein Freund, that group photo was definitely taken in Berchtesgaden - showing the Watzmann and Hochkalter mountains in the background. Back a couple years ago or so, when this photo first appeared on Facebook, claiming that it was taken at the Eagle's Nest or at the Berghof, my local friend Ralf tracked the location down (since we both knew it wasn't taken at either of those sites, but lower down). It was taken in an area up behind, and a little to the side of, the Dietrich-Eckart-Krankenhaus. That building that appears at the right edge, near the flower box, is still there today. Ralf posted his findings in this thread, but I have no idea which page.
Gruss, Geoff

Max

Post by Max » 04 Jul 2017, 05:40

Geoff Walden wrote: Ralf posted his findings in this thread, but I have no idea which page.
Gruss, Geoff
FYI
viewtopic.php?p=1876875#p1876875
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

tunix0

Post by tunix0 » 04 Jul 2017, 08:46

Geoff Walden wrote:
tunix0 wrote:Wow, really great links Max!

The bowling alley was also decorated for a wedding, does anyone know who is on the photo?

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/109 ... 95SVbaGqLl
Eva Braun and Adjutant Fritz Wiedemann

Thanks Geoff! I didn't recognize that this was Eva Braun. I thought it shows the wedding couple. :)
---
www.vergessener-beton.de - Gegen das Vergessen!

tunix0

Post by tunix0 » 04 Jul 2017, 08:49

Geoff Walden wrote:Mein Freund, that group photo was definitely taken in Berchtesgaden - showing the Watzmann and Hochkalter mountains in the background. Back a couple years ago or so, when this photo first appeared on Facebook, claiming that it was taken at the Eagle's Nest or at the Berghof, my local friend Ralf tracked the location down (since we both knew it wasn't taken at either of those sites, but lower down). It was taken in an area up behind, and a little to the side of, the Dietrich-Eckart-Krankenhaus. That building that appears at the right edge, near the flower box, is still there today. Ralf posted his findings in this thread, but I have no idea which page.
Gruss, Geoff
Hi Geoff,

a few days ago there was a thread on reddit where it also was discussed:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OldSchoolCool/ ... g_hitlers/

Regards
---
www.vergessener-beton.de - Gegen das Vergessen!

N.C. Wyeth

Post by N.C. Wyeth » 04 Jul 2017, 13:55

Geoff Walden wrote:Mein Freund, that group photo was definitely taken in Berchtesgaden - showing the Watzmann and Hochkalter mountains in the background. Back a couple years ago or so, when this photo first appeared on Facebook, claiming that it was taken at the Eagle's Nest or at the Berghof, my local friend Ralf tracked the location down (since we both knew it wasn't taken at either of those sites, but lower down). It was taken in an area up behind, and a little to the side of, the Dietrich-Eckart-Krankenhaus. That building that appears at the right edge, near the flower box, is still there today. Ralf posted his findings in this thread, but I have no idea which page.
Gruss, Geoff
Well . . . there's no denying, you certainly know those mountains! :lol: My bad on the stab at Zell Am See. It's funny how similar the views can be, when in the Alps. Think we're going to have to get together again soon - and have you "school" me a little more on how to become better at identifying them. :thumbsup:
History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time; it illuminates reality, vitalizes memory, provides guidance in daily life, and brings us tidings of antiquity. - Cicero

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 05 Jul 2017, 17:32

Dear Geoff -- it sounds like you should organize and lead tours of the region -- you'd make a GREAT "Rick Steves of the Third Reich era!!"

Cheers,

Br. James

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 05 Jul 2017, 17:43

Br. James wrote:Dear Geoff -- it sounds like you should organize and lead tours of the region -- you'd make a GREAT "Rick Steves of the Third Reich era!!"

Cheers,

Br. James
I like that idea a lot Br. James :D
• Natural Born American Citizen
• American Patriot
• U.S. Army Vet.1969-'71—Spc.5 Field Artillery
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”