Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Br. James

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Br. James » 31 Aug 2017, 22:02

Thanks very much, AdolfJesus, and welcome among us! As regards IDing the photo, I agree with Geoff that it's either Eva or Gretl. As for the location, Hitler bought Eva a house in Munich; that could be the setting for this photo. Just a thought...perhaps she was photographed while she was writing to her Führer at the Berghof?

Br. James

AdolfJesus

Post by AdolfJesus » 01 Sep 2017, 00:36

Geoff Walden wrote:Welcome to AHF, AdolfJesus!
:welcome:
Thank you Mr Geoff.
Br. James wrote:Thanks very much, AdolfJesus, and welcome among us!...
Thank you Mr James.
Geoff Walden wrote:...
I can't say whether or not that photo was taken in the Berghof, but that's definitely either Eva or her sister Gretl ... I lean toward Gretl, but those two can sometimes be hard to tell apart if they aren't both in the photo.
Br. James wrote:...As regards IDing the photo, I agree with Geoff that it's either Eva or Gretl. As for the location, Hitler bought Eva a house in Munich; that could be the setting for this photo. Just a thought...perhaps she was photographed while she was writing to her Führer at the Berghof?
Br. James
I can not insist as I judge only from the appearance and from the fact that nothing connects the environment of the room with the berghof as lady Mitford never went there.
Would be nice if we could know the origin of the photo.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 01 Sep 2017, 21:09

Sorry to quote wikipeda but .....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_Mitford
Mitford summered at the Berghof where she continued to discuss a possible German-British alliance with Hitler,

Max

Post by Max » 02 Sep 2017, 02:27

Annelie wrote:Sorry to quote wikipeda but .....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_Mitford
Mitford summered at the Berghof where she continued to discuss a possible German-British alliance with Hitler,
Albert Speer, interviewed by David Pryce-Jones for his book, Unity Mitford (1976)
I was often at the Berghof - at Berchtesgaden - but she [Unity Mitford] was not there much as a guest, if at all. I would have known if she had been regularly. I could go without a phone call from the adjutant. She had to be invited. In the Berghof there was the snag of Eva Braun, who would have been angry, in a bad mood.
http://spartacus-educational.com/WRmitfordU.htm
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 02 Sep 2017, 20:17

I agree that the layout of the room in the photo does not agree with Eva Braun's bedroom at the Berghof, but I suppose she could have had another room there that she used as a study or a "day room" with a writing desk...?

Br. James

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 04 Sep 2017, 18:50

I just happened to be on the net this Labor Day and came across some incredible new images of the Berghof from HEINRICH HOFFMAN. These images I have never seen before, I knew my Forum friends should have a look see too. :)

http://auctions.alexautographs.com/auct ... o=+++92115
• Natural Born American Citizen
• American Patriot
• U.S. Army Vet.1969-'71—Spc.5 Field Artillery
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

DaveL111

Post by DaveL111 » 04 Sep 2017, 23:47

Very neat photographs Johnnyrockett!

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 05 Sep 2017, 17:18

Hi to all,
WOW!!! I sure never saw any of these before! Thanks for the link!!!
Notice the Tuerken undergoing remodeling at the same time, the Gaestehaus before it was rebuilt (sheet 5), and all the workers huts or workshops that were built on the slopes around there during all this construction.
Their item description is the first time I read that views of Haus Wachenfeld are rare!
8O
I won't be bidding, but if anyone here gets it, I'd like to view all the photos.
:milwink: :thumbsup:
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

CPB

Post by CPB » 05 Sep 2017, 19:45

Does anyone know what happened to Eva Braun's dogs after the war ended? I read somewhere that after the RAF bombed the Berghof, there was at least one of them running around. I wonder if a local took them in...

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 05 Sep 2017, 19:57

Geoff sums up my position perfectly!! WOW!!!

Br. James

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 05 Sep 2017, 20:08

A couple of times I’ve talked to Bill Panagopulos (the owner of "Alexander Historical Auctions") and he does get some incredible items to sell.
He’s a very pleasant guy to talk with and very informative and thorough on his research in my opinion.
• Natural Born American Citizen
• American Patriot
• U.S. Army Vet.1969-'71—Spc.5 Field Artillery
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 06 Sep 2017, 02:25

Not sure if this is the correct forum but it does centre around Berchtesgaden.

http://njjewishnews.com/article/17595/c ... tz-to-bima

Maybe someone can shed an light on this article
One day, about 30 miles outside Munich, he heard a column of tanks and troops, which turned out to be the 101st Airborne Division of the U.S. Army. When the Americans realized Wisnia spoke English and other languages, they took him on as a translator, giving him a uniform and teaching him to shoot a machine gun. He fought with them until the end of the war, becoming “the mascot of Company H.”
Wisnia was given a citation for bravery in action against an elite SS troop that guarded Hitler’s mountain retreat, Berchtesgaden, and was among the first Allied forces to occupy Hitler’s private vacation home."

was under the impression that Berchtesgaden thanks to Mayor of Berchtesgaden that there was no conflict involved.

Cantor Wisnia must be mistaken somehow?

Max

Post by Max » 06 Sep 2017, 06:45

Annelie wrote:

was under the impression that Berchtesgaden thanks to Mayor of Berchtesgaden that there was no conflict involved.

Cantor Wisnia must be mistaken somehow?
Seems that any fighting was in the environs of Berchtesgaden - not in the town itself.

I suppose we all know about these claims

http://www.historynet.com/world-war-ii- ... sgaden.htm
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 06 Sep 2017, 13:39

Another way to check would be to find his name on the list of
"Citations of Bravery?"

Apparently the name Wisnia does not appear anywhere.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 06 Sep 2017, 18:24

Hi Annelie,

As we discussed in e-mail, if Wisnia was indeed involved in combat with the 101st Airborne, it seems likely that he was with the 3rd Battalion of the 506th PIR. The 3rd Battalion did fight some German soldiers that they reported as SS, on the way to B’gaden on 5 May 1945, near Unterjettenberg. The 101st Division suffered its last three combat casualties there, so if there is any truth to the Wisnia story, this must be where he was involved. Was Company H in the 3rd Battalion? I don't have period references to the 101st that show the organization. I do, however, have copies of the Berchtesgaden portions of 101st unit histories and other books like David Webster's, that do not mention Wisnia. I don't doubt his story ... I just don't think it happened in Berchtesgaden town or on the Obersalzberg. Perhaps the "citation for bravery" was something like a unit-level certificate.

Does anyone have access to full copies of either of these books, that might list the citations awarded in the 101st, or mention Wisnia?

Leonard Rapport and Arthur Northwood, Jr.
Rendezvous with Destiny - A History of the 101st Airborne Division. Washington, Infantry Journal Press, 1948

The Epic of the 101st Airborne. Auxerre, France, 101st Airborne Division Public Relations Office, 1945
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”