Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
WW2 Historian

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by WW2 Historian » 07 Feb 2018, 03:55

I read somewhere (earlier in this thread? Geoff's site?) that the trees on the Berghof site had been cut down, allowing for a better view across the valley... anyone have any pics from the site with the trees cut down?

N.C. Wyeth

Post by N.C. Wyeth » 07 Feb 2018, 04:33

Geoff Walden wrote:This film is outstanding - some of the best then-and-now work I have seen. There are a lot of other sites he could have visited, but for what it is, it's great. There are several little artistic and humorous touches that I really appreciate.
(He was very lucky to visit the Kehlsteinhaus with such perfect weather and so few other visitors there!)
(I would sure like to know where he got those nice-res versions of Eva Braun's films!)

Life of Adolf Hitler Tour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLQKPLwr3Sg
WOW - That one brought back some old memories! I recall driving so many of those same roads . . . in our rental Smart car! :lol:
Base-Camp Schliersee . . . nimble car . . . and nothing but time - learning about what some of those crazy European street-signs are trying to tell the guy behind the wheel. :o

What a great "Memory-Lane" trip back in time that video brought . . . Thanks! :thumbsup:
Attachments
OH SHIT!.jpg
OH SHIT!.jpg (12.74 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
SCHLIERSEE 1 001.jpg
History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time; it illuminates reality, vitalizes memory, provides guidance in daily life, and brings us tidings of antiquity. - Cicero

PavelH

Post by PavelH » 07 Feb 2018, 23:04

Well made movie, nice to see you there Geoff :milsmile:
Actually, that bunker was really there? I always thought that is not proven that it continues towards "hintereck cafe".
Attachments
osb.JPG

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 07 Feb 2018, 23:41

WW2 Historian wrote:I read somewhere (earlier in this thread? Geoff's site?) that the trees on the Berghof site had been cut down, allowing for a better view across the valley... anyone have any pics from the site with the trees cut down?
Here is a pic from last October or November from my friend Tim Calvert. This was taken standing about where the big picture window was.
Our forum friend Tom Lewis has some even better views.
Attachments
BerghofViewTC2017.jpg
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 07 Feb 2018, 23:50

Hey Pavel,

How's things? I bet you liked the Theaterhalle horse in that film, too, didn't you? :D

Right ... There is no evidence underground that that tunnel was ever there, not that anyone has found, as far as I am aware. Some maps show that tunnel going on to connect to the Hintereck Tunnel, and I know for sure there is no tunnel that does that - no connection there. It was planned, apparently, to connect, but it was apparently never built.

Same with the tunnels I have marked in yellow here - not there now, at any rate. (I think what they meant to show at the end of the Goering tunnel was the connection to the Adjutant building.)
Attachments
osb2.JPG
osb2.JPG (53.29 KiB) Viewed 1923 times

WW2 Historian

Post by WW2 Historian » 08 Feb 2018, 03:17

Geoff Walden wrote:
WW2 Historian wrote:I read somewhere (earlier in this thread? Geoff's site?) that the trees on the Berghof site had been cut down, allowing for a better view across the valley... anyone have any pics from the site with the trees cut down?
Here is a pic from last October or November from my friend Tim Calvert. This was taken standing about where the big picture window was.
Our forum friend Tom Lewis has some even better views.
Thank you Geoff!
This question is ridiculously irrelevant, but when the trees were cut down, were they done in any sort of 'official' capacity? (unlikely).

Was it done guerrilla-style, by someone trying to duplicate the original view? Was it done in a rushed manner, as if to say, "we better get this done quickly before anyone realizes what we're doing"? Were the trees cut at the ground, or halfway up? Again, I apologize for the 'who cares?' kind of question...

I would love to see a picture of 'their work' so-to-speak.

atobersalzberg

Post by atobersalzberg » 08 Feb 2018, 11:09

Hi everyone,

Here are some photos from the Berghof area, taken after the trees were cleared.

From what I know: the trees were cut roughly half way through the trunks near the base, during the night by someone... and then the next day they were officially declared dangerous, therefore they had to be taken down. Conveniently, by taking those trees down, the former view from the Berghof window was once again visible.

I was there at the time the trees were taken down, it was an incredible sight to see; the original view appearing suddenly as the trees were cut away!

Best,

Tom
Attachments
Photo 1.jpg
Photo 2.jpg
Photo 3.jpg
Photo 4.jpg

CPB

Post by CPB » 08 Feb 2018, 18:01

Geoff Walden wrote:This film is outstanding - some of the best then-and-now work I have seen. There are a lot of other sites he could have visited, but for what it is, it's great. There are several little artistic and humorous touches that I really appreciate.
(He was very lucky to visit the Kehlsteinhaus with such perfect weather and so few other visitors there!)
(I would sure like to know where he got those nice-res versions of Eva Braun's films!)

Life of Adolf Hitler Tour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLQKPLwr3Sg
Geoff, thanks for sharing.

That is excellent. I especially love the waterfall then and now sequence around 29 minutes in.

PavelH

Post by PavelH » 08 Feb 2018, 19:05

Quote Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » Yesterday, 23:50
Hey Pavel,

How's things? I bet you liked the Theaterhalle horse in that film, too, didn't you? :D

Right ... There is no evidence underground that that tunnel was ever there, not that anyone has found, as far as I am aware. Some maps show that tunnel going on to connect to the Hintereck Tunnel, and I know for sure there is no tunnel that does that - no connection there. It was planned, apparently, to connect, but it was apparently never built.

Same with the tunnels I have marked in yellow here - not there now, at any rate. (I think what they meant to show at the end of the Goering tunnel was the connection to the Adjutant building.)
You damn right, of course that I recognized their guarding horse, seems that he can feel the authority - your :thumbsup:
Cheers
P.

headwest

Post by headwest » 08 Feb 2018, 20:08

Hi Geoff

Not to derail from this thread but your site third Reich ruins was the first site i came across years ago that truly interested me in the then and now aspect of that era. I sat for hours/days just looking thru it. I have wondered if you ever thought about updating it? in terms of things like being able to click on the pics to make them larger etc? I am sure its a ton of work but i really think your site is the best at what it does, and would have loved to have seen pics you could open up and see better. Anyway, not a big deal, i always go back to check out yoru updates, Also got your book, BIG fan here!

May be heading to germany this summer for the first time, for work though, i may take a couple days to do some travel but have no idea how to really get around best.

thanks!

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 09 Feb 2018, 22:49

I just spent time watching "Life of Adolf Hitler Tour -- HD Locations in Austria and Germany, Then and Now..." as referenced by Geoff above, and I was absolutely overwhelmed by it! Having visited many of those same spots back in 1999 myself, it is truly a wonderful reminiscence! I can't thank you enough, friend Geoff, for sharing this touching video with us!

Br. James

PavelH

Post by PavelH » 11 Feb 2018, 19:18

Btw, do we all agree, that our inhabitant of Unterwurflehen house was SS-Sturmbannführer Hubert Spahn, SS Nr. 41 574, NSDAP Nr. 328 678, born 01.01.1902. Pretty low NSDAP Nr., is not it. Can someone find out whatever else about him?

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 11 Feb 2018, 19:22

That is certainly the most information I have ever seen about him! Thanks, Pavel!

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 11 Feb 2018, 19:28

headwest wrote:Hi Geoff
Not to derail from this thread but your site third Reich ruins was the first site i came across years ago that truly interested me in the then and now aspect of that era. I sat for hours/days just looking thru it. I have wondered if you ever thought about updating it? in terms of things like being able to click on the pics to make them larger etc? I am sure its a ton of work but i really think your site is the best at what it does, and would have loved to have seen pics you could open up and see better. Anyway, not a big deal, i always go back to check out yoru updates, Also got your book, BIG fan here!
May be heading to germany this summer for the first time, for work though, i may take a couple days to do some travel but have no idea how to really get around best.
thanks!
Headwest, I agree 100% - the technology of my webpage is really old, and it could use a "facelift," but well, I don't have the time to do that. :(
I don't even have the time to do regular updates anymore ... I have something between 300-400 photos that I could add. But I really agree - it would be very nice to be able to hover over each pic or click on it, and open it up in a larger version. If I ever had the time, I would surely like to do that.

As for traveling around Germany, for sure, the best way is by rental car. For only a couple days, it wouldn't be that expensive. A GPS/Navi would be a must.

Thanks, Geoff

WW2 Historian

Post by WW2 Historian » 11 Feb 2018, 19:50

Geoff Walden wrote: Headwest, I agree 100% - the technology of my webpage is really old, and it could use a "facelift," but well, I don't have the time to do that. :(
I don't even have the time to do regular updates anymore ... I have something between 300-400 photos that I could add. But I really agree - it would be very nice to be able to hover over each pic or click on it, and open it up in a larger version. If I ever had the time, I would surely like to do that...

Thanks, Geoff
Geoff -
Which subject or page has the most content that could be updated?

Obersalzberg/ Berghof?
Nuremberg?
Berlin?
Munich?
something else?

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”