Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
CPB

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by CPB » 20 Apr 2018, 23:11

Geoff Walden wrote:Hi Chris,

The telephone switchboard that handled Berghof calls was in the Tuerken.

The Berghof tunnel also had its own switchboard from 1944-on, located in Bauteil B.

Geoff
Thanks Geoff!

ramms

Post by ramms » 22 Apr 2018, 20:45

Retaining wall height (then and now).
Source: https://youtu.be/pqIKfuMSlLI?t=6m9s
Attachments
retaining_wall.jpg
retaining_wall2.jpg

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 22 Apr 2018, 22:44

Great photos, ramms! Is that Wilhelm Brückner in the period photo? Interesting tunic with sleeve eagle, especially for an SA tunic... I wonder if this was a later affectation permitted to those serving at the Obersalzberg Administration?

Br. James

CPB

Post by CPB » 22 Apr 2018, 23:15

Good eye, I think that is indeed Bruckner.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 23 Apr 2018, 16:53

Thanks, Chris. That info dates that photo to probably post-September of 1939 to prior to October of 1940, when Brückner was replaced by Schaub as chief adjutant, supposedly because of Brückner's affairs with women close to the Inner Circle members.

Does anyone have any info on the use of sleeve eagles by the SA senior officers?

Br. James

CPB

Post by CPB » 25 Apr 2018, 11:07

73 years ago today...

AlainDucasse

Post by AlainDucasse » 25 Apr 2018, 13:51

Br. James wrote:Thanks, Chris. That info dates that photo to probably post-September of 1939 to prior to October of 1940, when Brückner was replaced by Schaub as chief adjutant, supposedly because of Brückner's affairs with women close to the Inner Circle members.

Does anyone have any info on the use of sleeve eagles by the SA senior officers?

Br. James
I found another Brückner pic, with almost same SA tunic, the second one show him with an "Hakenkreuz" armband, presumably the regulation with the "Hakenkreuz" armband was identical to that of Hitler, who did not wear a swastika armband from the beginning of the war 1.9.1939?
W. Brückner.jpg
W. Brückner.jpg (43.48 KiB) Viewed 11458 times
W. Brückner II.jpg
W. Brückner II.jpg (36.02 KiB) Viewed 11457 times

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 25 Apr 2018, 15:06

Thanks, AlainDucasse -- two great photos! The bottom photo was a press release taken at the New Reichschancellery in Berlin on Hitler's 50th birthday, as SS Adjutant Julius Schaub presents Hitler with a gift on that occasion. Looking on were NSKK Adjutant Albert Bormann and Chief Adjutant/SA Adjutant Wilhelm Brückner. Hitler was wearing his pre-war NSDAP uniform, including the armband, at this time.

The top photo is very charming, and I agree that Brückner appears to be wearing the same uniform tunic that he was wearing in the earlier photo with the child. We don't know where or when this photo was taken, but it may have been during a light moment somewhere in the Berghof or elsewhere at the Obersalzberg Administration. (Gerda Christian is at Brückner's right and Schaub sits opposite Brückner; to Schaub's left may have been Christa Schroeder. Like Hitler, Schaub was vain about wearing glasses in public!) What is unclear to me is whether there was an official change to the SA Uniform Regulations which sanctioned the use of the sleeve eagle in place of the armband -- as in the case of the SS uniform revision -- or if the use of the sleeve eagle was a matter of convenience permitted to those staff officers who served at the Obersalzberg Administration?

Many thanks again,

Br. James

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 25 Apr 2018, 16:44

CPB wrote:73 years ago today...
Thanks for the reminder!

And so the destruction continues today, with history now... Dietrich Eckart's grave marker in the Alt Friedhof in Berchtesgaden will likely be removed / destroyed in the near future. (thanks to our friend Ralf for this notification)
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 26 Apr 2018, 00:45

I've just posted a couple of photos in "Axis Uniforms" which touch on the 'Hitler' left arm sleeve eagle for those - like me - who are interested in such things.
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 26 Apr 2018, 17:35

Is that the "Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia" Forum here? What's the title of your note?

Br. James

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 26 Apr 2018, 23:55

Yes, it's in "Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia" under "German Sleeve Eagles". I've already had a reply from 'John'.
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 27 Apr 2018, 16:24

Thanks for the reference, Mannheim. It's starting to appear that the use of sleeve eagles may have been a personal option for the SA when wearing the SA tunic (at least during wartime, such as when Hitler wore the sleeve eagle). It is still surprising to me that the SS tolerated such apparent disregard for uniform code, as when Sepp Dietrich wore the Heer eagle on his WSS cap...and I also seem to recall that he was photographed wearing the Heer eagle in place of the SS eagle on his left arm...? Such gross disobedience...and from no less than the LSSAH, too!!

Br. James

headwest

Post by headwest » 27 Apr 2018, 18:55

When Hitler came to visit the Berghof from say Berlin, did he fly into somewhere close to town? and then what was the driving route, thru town? or around? to the berghof?

I am also curious on the probable driving route form the berghof to the Konigsee? did they come back down to town and follow what looks like a main rd from google earth thru mitterbach, or there seems to be a road over the mountains and down into the Konigsee area?

I am sort of those Then and now types and like to try and pinpoint roads, or areas still there now

thanks so much

CPB

Post by CPB » 28 Apr 2018, 11:11

Geoff Walden wrote:
CPB wrote:73 years ago today...
Thanks for the reminder!

And so the destruction continues today, with history now... Dietrich Eckart's grave marker in the Alt Friedhof in Berchtesgaden will likely be removed / destroyed in the near future. (thanks to our friend Ralf for this notification)

That is nuts.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”