Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Geoff Walden

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Geoff Walden » 27 Jan 2019 18:45

Nice relics - thanks for posting!

Don't recall that I have ever seen any photos of Hitler's Berghof bathroom, not in color, anyway. There is some film that Eva Braun shot that shows a bird in a sink at the Berghof ... in a bathroom, presumably ... but as I recall this footage is in black and white.
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

fbeaty1

Post by fbeaty1 » 27 Jan 2019 20:20

There was a Eva Brauns bathroom separate from Hitlers... FYI with a another room between them.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 26 Feb 2019 03:20

I suspect that the album described in the following article is one of these, produced in several versions for visiting soldiers after the war. This particular version has most of the photos shown in this article; other versions have the rest. These are not common, but they aren't rare, and certainly not worth 600 pounds, unless one has money to burn. The photos are mostly common postcard views by Heinrich Hoffmann and Ernst Baumann.
berchtesgadenphotoalbumpostwar.jpg

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-new ... n-14027023

Inside Hitler's plush mountain-top lair he rarely visited because he was scared.
The snaps that show the dictator’s Bavarian bolthole and war room go under the hammer in Kent and are expected to fetch £600
By Martin Fricker, 20 FEB 2019

A photo album showing the plush interior of Adolf Hitler’s alpine retreats has emerged for sale, 70 years after the war.
One captures the fuhrer’s tea room at the Eagle’s Nest, which sits on a mountain top overlooking the Bavarian town of Berchtesgaden.
Another shows a huge panoramic window in the lounge of his nearby Berghof mansion, where he plotted world domination.
The genocidal Nazi dictator bought the property in 1933, with profits from his book Mein Kampf.
He entertained British politician David Lloyd George and PM Neville ­Chamberlain there in the 30s, as war loomed.

The Berghof was destroyed by RAF bombers in 1946 and demolished six years later at the request of the US, to stop it becoming a Hitler shrine.
Pictures of the bombed home are in the photo album that goes under the hammer in Folkestone, Kent, today.

The Eagle’s Nest was built as a tea house in 1938. But Hitler rarely visited as he suffered from vertigo.
It is now a cafe, bar and restaurant, visited by millions of tourists.

Little is known about the history of the photo album, which contains 24 images believed to have been taken between 1937 and 1946. It is expected to sell for £600.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Biber

Post by Biber » 26 Feb 2019 15:01

My dad had something like that souvenir book, but it was for "Hitler's House" - B/W photos on black paper with white calligraphy. Held together as an album by a leather thong if I remember. He visited the Berghof ruins while he was stationed at Vaihingen around 1949 or '50. He also brought back a carved wooden plate from Berchtesgaden. I don't remember the image on it, it could have been the Berghof. He never really spoke of being there in any great detail, just about being in the great room and having his picture taken standing in the big window. I never saw that particular photo, just a few exterior shots. A few years before he died I printed off pictures and plans from Geoff's website and elsewhere (sorry Geoff, single copy for research purposes?). It was probably the best gift I had ever given him. He studied those pictures all the time we were home, and probably for some time after we left.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 26 Feb 2019 20:18

I'm sure that was yet another variation on this theme. I don't know if these were all put out by the same publisher (Ernst Baumann, maybe?) or not ... the covers seem to be different, but the photos seem about the same, and all that I have seen have remarkably similar hand-lettered captions in white.
Biber wrote:
26 Feb 2019 15:01
(sorry Geoff, single copy for research purposes?).
Oh, no problem at all, I'm happy they were useful!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Biber

Post by Biber » 27 Feb 2019 14:44

Thanks Geoff, they were much more than useful. At that point in my dad's life he really didn't take much interest in anything, but he sure studied those your photos all the time we were home. It was very heart warming to see. And I can understand it all too well. Just about any black and white / sepia photo from that era sucks me in. All the best - t

headwest

Post by headwest » 01 Mar 2019 18:03

In some posted photos on Google maps, you can drop down in the berghof area, and one of them at the very edge, where the window(Close) would have been, you can look down and see blacktop? is that part of the original driveway?

Also, the stone walls that are still exposed at the main driveway entrance, are those the original rocks still?

thanks!

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 01 Mar 2019 23:29

I've not visited the Berghof since May of 1999 -- WOW! That's 20 years ago! I hadn't thought about that!! -- but from what was visible when I was there, I would answer "Yes" to both of your questions. When I was there I was able to drive up onto the blacktop driveway at the main entrance to the property, and one of the two low stone walls was still partly visible there at that time.

Br. James

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 03 Mar 2019 20:09

Thanks, Br. James. That was indeed correct in 1999; only somewhat so today, unfortunately. The blacktop (asphalt) at the top of the driveway that you saw and that headwest saw on GoogleMaps is still there, but only part of it, and the rest is slowly disappearing, chipped away by souvenir hunters.
berghofdrive12b1.jpg
Similarly, plunderers have taken several of the exposed stones of the driveway wall. This started years ago, but accelerated about 10 years ago. The stones were gone when I took this photo in 2012,
berghofnov12drive3wide.jpg
and by 2013 the surrounding stones had been painted blue, maybe to keep people from being interested in them?
berghofdrivesept2013b.jpg
Sometime later, the missing stones were replaced with new ones (I don't have a photo of this, but I think one has been posted in this thread). Fortunately, the vast majority of the original stones remain buried on both sides, and thus preserved.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 04 Mar 2019 20:38

MANY thanks, Geoff!! Your photos really take me back to spring of 1999 at the Obersalzberg Administration!! Of course, the growth of the ground cover has really taken off, even since I was there 20 years ago. Back then the property was clearly posted "No Trespassing," though there was no fence or barrier to keep tourists out; but I was concerned that if I walked too far up the driveway and therefore too deeply into the property that I might be arrested, and that would not have sat very well with the people I was visiting in Germany! Of course, now I wish I had thrown caution to the wind and walked wherever I wanted, but regrets never replace good memories! Thanks so much for taking me back there again today...at least in my mind!

Br. James

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 05 Mar 2019 21:42

My wife ran across this photo, which I find very interesting.
https://www.ww2online.org/image/america ... ny-1945-46 - from the collections of the National WWII Museum.
Never saw this sign in any other such photo. The cartoon/caricature looks like it might be supposed to portray Hitler as a rat. Too bad the photo is so unclear!
Has anyone else seen a better photo of this sign?

tunix0

Post by tunix0 » 06 Mar 2019 08:56

Geoff Walden wrote:
05 Mar 2019 21:42
Never saw this sign in any other such photo. The cartoon/caricature looks like it might be supposed to portray Hitler as a rat. Too bad the photo is so unclear!
Hi Geoff, great find!

I haven't found another picture of it yet, but I edited it a bit in Photoshop. :)
---
www.vergessener-beton.de - Gegen das Vergessen!

headwest

Post by headwest » 06 Mar 2019 14:39

Thanks so much Geoff and BT. I would imagine as you say that not only is most of the wall intact under ground, but most of the driveway as well. Any thoughts or knowledge of the steps? bowling alley and lower rooms?

CPB

Post by CPB » 07 Mar 2019 10:58

Geoff Walden wrote:
05 Mar 2019 21:42
My wife ran across this photo, which I find very interesting.
https://www.ww2online.org/image/america ... ny-1945-46 - from the collections of the National WWII Museum.
Wow, great find. I have never seen this photo before. It looks like a rat for sure!

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 07 Mar 2019 21:19

Tunix, thanks for cleaning that image up! Much clearer now.

Headwest, some sources say the steps of the main staircase are still there, buried, other sources say not (some sources say the stairs are still there, but their photos show a part of the retaining wall, nowhere near the staircase). Some photos from the 1952 destruction of the Berghof ruins seem to show the steps being taken up. I have seen a photo that seems to show this, but I don't seem to have a copy of it. JohnnyRocket might have some photos like that in his collection ...

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”