Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Geoff Walden

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Geoff Walden » 12 Aug 2020 16:57

Yesterday (11 August) authorities disposed of two smoke screen canisters on the Obersalzberg. These were relics of the SS-Nebelabteilung, which was tasked with guarding the Obersalzberg facilities from aerial reconnaissance and bombers by creating an artificial smoke screen, which was actually a fog or mist made by chemical action. One of the canisters, found near the Rossfeld Road, was leaking its corrosive chemical which is harmful to breathe (the original operators wore gas masks and rubber suits in use), and this one was blown up in place. The other canister was removed to be disposed of later (wouldn't it be great if they just emptied and cleaned it, then put it on display in the new Dokumentation?).

This image is not from the report. I don't know if these canisters were ones that were already known to explorers. A hunter found these over the weekend. There are doubtless many of these still around there, the same as dud bombs.

https://www.berchtesgadener-anzeiger.de ... 84080.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker » 13 Aug 2020 15:56

I seen that article on the Berchtesgadener-Anzeiger web page as well. I don't get the subscription which gives the full text. But I remembered after seeing this article when I visited Berchtesgaden/Obersalzberg last year. While walking around past the Zum Turken near Bormann's house site, I ventured out up the hill in the woods. Immediately I came across tin, and metal vehicle parts, they were rusted with age, and I couldn't help but think the stuff could have been from the 1940's.

Mr.Kimura

Post by Mr.Kimura » 20 Aug 2020 23:56

the nebelfass was blown up, the second container was the preassure bottle.
here you can see pictures before and after:

https://www.bunkerfreunde-muenchen.de/m ... mId=317982

tigre

Post by tigre » 25 Aug 2020 17:36

Hello to all :D; more: Berghof. Source: https://subastas.catawiki.es/kavels/283 ... zberg-1990

Cheers. Raúl M 8-).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 31 Aug 2020 22:25

Many thanks, Geoff! And do stay safe,

Br. James

BEGAFILM

Post by BEGAFILM » 02 Sep 2020 18:13

Hey Guys,

we have a new video online on our english channel:

THE LAST DAYS IN ADOLF HITLERS BUNKER - INTERVIEW WITH HITLERS BODYGUARD ROCHUS MISCH

Greets from Berchtesgaden,

BEGAFILM
BEGAFILM - History in Motion

British Sapper

Post by British Sapper » 04 Sep 2020 02:50

I'm not actually sure where we were on the Obersalzburg here, doing work for the American Forces Recreation Centre/AFRC in 1974/75 and 1976. We were often working from the Gutshof. We were 26 Armoured Engineer Squadron, Royal Engineers. This pic shows one of our wagons, an old Bedford RL military truck 4 tonner. We did a lot of work on the Obersalzburg at that time. We were billeted at Strub Kaserne .
https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5F76C975

CraigM

Post by CraigM » 04 Sep 2020 23:27

British Sapper wrote:
04 Sep 2020 02:50
We did a lot of work on the Obersalzburg at that time.
What sort of work did you do there?

ramms

Post by ramms » 06 Sep 2020 14:47

Inside the Berghof garage (1949. & 1980.).

https://flashbak.com/1949-the-walls-of- ... den-14177/

ramms

Post by ramms » 06 Sep 2020 14:52

Berghof driveway.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 06 Sep 2020 19:13

Must say I have never seen these photos before.
Quite interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 06 Sep 2020 19:37

While I've never seen the pix taken inside the Berghof garage before, I have seen the photo of Hitler and his entourage standing at the mouth of the Berghof driveway welcoming the long line of pilgrims, admirers and well-wishers previously. I wonder whether Eva Braun actually took this photo herself? There are a number of similar photos published which cover such events, mostly taken from the road itself where Hitler & Co. can be seen greeting and chatting with the many admirers. Many thanks, ramms!

Br. James

Biber

Post by Biber » 09 Sep 2020 21:51

What a pleasant surprise for a summer afternoon. I just caught the last half hour of the Devil Makes Three with Gene Kelly on Turner Classic Movies. Great shots of the Berchtesgaden and the Obersalzberg, and, of course, the final scene in the Berghof great room. Were there any other movies filmed there?

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 12 Sep 2020 08:46

Earlier this week I spent some work time in Munich and one day I had some spare time and took a car trip to Obersalzberg. I haven't been there in twelve years so I was quiet excited, though I have followed the updates in this thread. I focused on the Coal bunker and the theatre hall that I've missed previous trips. Both are easy to reach, easy to access and interesting to explore, especially Theatre hall I found interesting. Nice ruins, easy to imagine how it looked back in the days and a very nice view overlooking the mountains. Overall it's good to see that there are still ruins to be found and can be explored, at the time being anyway.

I also took a short trip to the Berghof and was surprised to see that the trees in front of the panorama window has been cut down. Giving the visitor the same view they had in the days back then watching over the Untersberg. Don't really know the reason for this. The Documentation center was busy, not allowing more than 50 visitors at the same time, leaving a que about 30 outside. Didn't visit the center and I never planned it either. I visited in 2001 and had hoped for more Obersalzberg and less overall Nazi history. There was also a lot of construction work going on on the site.

Zum Turken was of course still closed and so was also the Bunker system. Don't really know what will happen to the Turken but I had the same feeling I had when I visited Hotel Lederer in Bad Wiessee in 2018, and that was not a good feeling. Beside Obersalzberg I also visited Berchtesgaden, stopped at a café and had a lovely Bayrische Apfelstrudel. 'Gaden is a damned nice small city to walk around in, especially when the weather was as good as it was during my visit. 25 Celsius and sunny.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 13 Sep 2020 16:27

Many thanks to Makarov for providing this text and visual update. If he took any photos of the Untersberg without the trees, as he described it above, it would be of interest to see those, as well.

Cheers,

Br. James

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”