Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Ernie Primeau

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Ernie Primeau » 07 Nov 2020, 01:23

Don't know the date but I love this photo.
Attachments
mag9qownipq21.jpg

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 07 Nov 2020, 03:00

Ernie Primeau wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 01:23
Don't know the date but I love this photo.
I would say before 1952 at least—after ‘52 the German Government destroyed the Berghof.
Well, at least most of it.
• Natural Born American Citizen
• American Patriot
• U.S. Army Vet.1969-'71—Spc.5 Field Artillery
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 07 Nov 2020, 16:35

Thanks, Ernie -- that is certainly an impressive photo -- it shows the work of both the Allied bombers from April of 1945, when they attacked the Obersalzberg, and the follow-up executed by Julius Schaub, whom Hitler send down from Berlin to torch the building and destroy the property, as much as possible. Very impressive indeed!

Br. James

CPB

Post by CPB » 07 Nov 2020, 18:27

Great photo, never seen that one before.

Chris

ramms

Post by ramms » 07 Nov 2020, 21:38

Geoff Walden wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 20:15
I ran across an interesting image that made me spend some time in analyzing it.
Source - https://search.iisg.amsterdam/Record/1025769
Said to be taken in 1955, on the terrace of the Berghof, showing the entrance to the Berghof Bunker. The image is unfortunately in a low resolution.

BerghofBunkerEntrance1955.jpeg

Even though this photo says entry to the Berghof Bunker, which makes one think of the entry behind the Berghof, the owners of the Türken commonly referred to their tunnel as the "Berghof Bunker," and the tour does eventually reach areas that were indeed parts of the original Berghof tunnel system.

So, I have convinced myself that this photo shows a previously unknown characteristic of the Türken, but I wonder what you all think.
Geoff
Obersalzberg, 1954. Tourists at the Berghof bunker in Obersalzberg.
https://www.alamy.com/tourists-at-the-b ... 68136.html

View of the entrance to the Berghof bunker at the hotel "Zum Türken", 1974.
https://www.alamy.com/view-of-the-entra ... 81709.html
Attachments
1954.jpg
eingang berghofbunker.jpg
Last edited by ramms on 07 Nov 2020, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

ramms

Post by ramms » 07 Nov 2020, 22:01

Tourists on the Obersalzberg, 1960.
https://www.alamy.com/search.html?qt=Ob ... erg%201960

Tourists on the Obersalzberg, 1974.
https://www.alamy.com/search.html?qt=Ob ... erg%201974

View of the entrance to the Berghof Bunker with waiting visitors, 1960.
Attachments
1960.jpg
1960 (1).jpg
1960 (2).jpg

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 08 Nov 2020, 22:35

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

headwest

Post by headwest » 09 Nov 2020, 18:14

Hi

In the above photo of the burnt out Berghof, can someone point out to me which were Hitlers and Eva's rooms? I have never been able to find out for sure

thanks!

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 09 Nov 2020, 21:49

Hi headwest,

Looking at the photo in note #6031, as you probably know, the three archways you see on the ground floor indicate the covered porch and main entranceway at the top of the long exterior staircase, and the wall to the right of those archways was the north-facing wall of the Great Hall -- the large room with the huge window. Looking directly above those archways and that wall on the second floor -- Europeans refer to this as 'the first floor' -- are six windows in a row, with a blank wall to the right of those windows. Hitler's study was located behind that second floor wall, with French windows looking out onto a balcony above the huge window below; moving toward the left, the first two windows indicated Hitler's bedroom and the second two windows to their left were in Eva Braun's bedroom.

Hope this little tour is helpful! Prosit,

Br. James

headwest

Post by headwest » 10 Nov 2020, 15:34

Hi and thank you so much! that helps perfectly!

i had always wondered, and had read a couple conflicting narratives on the layout. i have seen some of the blue prints but i am not great at reading those then tryin to match them up to an actual picture

so awesome! thank you!

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 10 Nov 2020, 20:50

With pleasure! The main stairway inside the main entrance to the Berghof went up to a central hallway on the floor above; that hallway ran to both the Führer's and Eva Braun's suite wing and also to the guestrooms wing on that floor. at the end of the hallway toward the Führer's suite was Hitler's study, which extended across the whole front of the building. When in his study, Hitler could directly access his bedroom without going back into the hallway; his bedroom then provided access to his bathroom, and from there one could go into Eva Braun's room.

Prosit,

Br. James

BEGAFILM

Post by BEGAFILM » 10 Nov 2020, 23:17

Hey Br. James, (and everyone else)

I can add a little to this as I am currently editing a video interview with Herbert Döhring. He was property manager at berghof as you know.
In this interview (2 1/2 hours long, soon online on german channel) he talks about many things, including the different rooms in the berghof, where they were located and how they were called.
He said clearly that Eva Braun never had her own suite on the Berghof. She always slept in the "Big guestroom".
He describes it like this:

"The sleeping rooms of Hitler and Eva Braun were located in 1st floor. If you go upstairs on the right side. First when you go up the stairs there was a small door, the broom closet. The second was the big guestroom, thats how it was called in the home phone directory, and thats where Eva Braun was sleeping. Next there was a door with a small interspace that connected Hitlers and the big guest-room. If you go straight ahead through the hallway you will come to hitlers working room/office and inbetween of the office and and the small Interspace was Hitlers room and his bathroom. He could go straight from his work room to his bedroom, and from there through the interspace into the big guestroom."

So everything you said checks out Br. James.

Btw, did you know that Hitler had his own water connection? There was a "well" a little above the Berghof and a single water pipe that went directly and only to Hitlers bathroom. It was intended that he uses it for his drinking water. But it is unclear if he ever drank from it.
We know though, that the well was not secured whatsoever and it would have been easy to poison the water if anyone knew where it was.

Cheers, Begafilm

PS: If anyone has picutes or even old footage from the obersalzberg that we can use in our future documentaries it would be very nice if you would send me a copy to [email protected] or get in contact with me so we can figure something out. But please keep in mind that we cant use photos where we dont have the okay from the "legal" owner of them. So it works only if you know who made it, like your father/grandfather or a friend. Thanks guys!
BEGAFILM - History in Motion
Always on the hunt for new Material - If you have films on old formats/film rolls that you cant play - send them over. We will be happy to make the world see it once again.

CPB

Post by CPB » 11 Nov 2020, 14:54

BEGAFILM wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 23:17
PS: If anyone has picutes or even old footage from the obersalzberg that we can use in our future documentaries it would be very nice if you would send me a copy to [email protected] or get in contact with me so we can figure something out. But please keep in mind that we cant use photos where we dont have the okay from the "legal" owner of them. So it works only if you know who made it, like your father/grandfather or a friend. Thanks guys!
I just sent you an email with a link to https://www.souvenirsofwar.com/. I have a fair few original photos from the Berghof etc, which you are welcome to use. Look under 'Collection' then Berghof photos I, Berghof photos II, Eagle's Nest, and Obersalzberg.

The ones I own are watermarked with my website address.

Best wishes

Chris

headwest

Post by headwest » 11 Nov 2020, 16:47

Awesome info here !

I have always wondered why more pictures, or film has never turned up of the berghof after the war, like this picture, inside.

there were TONS of people who visited and went thru it. you would think there would be a lot of pics say in 1949 or 52 or whatever as cameras and film got better

like, here is hitlers bedroom today. here is the sink, or whatever

i keep waiting for a treasure trove of interior pics and video, heck they even made a Hollywood movie inside lol

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 11 Nov 2020, 18:11

Many thanks to BEGAFILM for all of their historical work, and also for sharing this part of their interview with the Berghof House Manager, Herbert Döhring. I confess to chuckling when I read that "He said clearly that Eva Braun never had her own suite on the Berghof. She always slept in the "Big guestroom"." Considering that this "big guestroom" was always directly connected to the personal bedroom of the Führer and Reichskanzler, right from the architect's renderings for that whole building, there remains no doubt as to the sleeping and convenience arrangements intended by Hitler for his home! Indeed, what other house has ever provided direct access to the owner's personal bedroom from the main guestroom, or from ANY other room? If anything, guestrooms are usually kept to a different section or wing of the house, maintaining respectful distance between the owners, their family and their "guests!"

Prosit, and many thanks again for reminding us of the storehouse of information Herr Döhring had...and also the way he was trained to identify and relate that information!

Br. James

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”