Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Br. James

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Br. James » 30 Nov 2020, 19:50

GREAT photos -- thanks so much, ramms!!

As regards NARA, I'm told by those who visit there regularly that the NARA facility is currently closed due to COVID-19 restrictions, as many other governmental facilities here in the USA are now. But I assume that anything available online will still be accessible...

Br. James

headwest

Post by headwest » 04 Dec 2020, 21:21

Wow! thanks so much for the links and those new to me pics! in the one looking down on the troops, across the street, is that the pathway they walked to the teahouse? is there any remnants of that today?

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 07 Dec 2020, 01:16

Johnnyrocket wrote:
03 Mar 2009, 19:10
This photo is suppose to be a Berghof image of Eva's Bedroom, need feedback on your thoughts of this claim?

Johnny R.
No is not. Confirmed, I saw a documentary about the bunkers under the Obersalzberg, this room is in that bunker, not the Berghof. Confirmed.

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 07 Dec 2020, 01:25

Helly Angel wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 01:16
Johnnyrocket wrote:
03 Mar 2009, 19:10
This photo is suppose to be a Berghof image of Eva's Bedroom, need feedback on your thoughts of this claim?

Johnny R.
No is not. Confirmed, I saw a documentary about the bunkers under the Obersalzberg, this room is in that bunker, not the Berghof. Confirmed.
Hi Helly,
How you doing?
• Natural Born American Citizen
• American Patriot
• U.S. Army Vet.1969-'71—Spc.5 Field Artillery
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 07 Dec 2020, 01:40

Hello my friend!! Long time outside of the forum and returning! Hehehe In last days I saw the documentary and I remember you!

CPB

Post by CPB » 17 Dec 2020, 15:02

Thought you guys would enjoy seeing these...all scanned from the veteran's original color slides. Tuerken, HG's house, Bormann's house, Berghof.

Apologies for the 'watermark'.
Attachments
S8.jpg
S6.jpg
S5.jpg
S1.jpg

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 17 Dec 2020, 15:06

Helly Angel wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 01:40
Hello my friend!! Long time outside of the forum and returning! Hehehe In last days I saw the documentary and I remember you!
Helly,
These are great, thanks.
• Natural Born American Citizen
• American Patriot
• U.S. Army Vet.1969-'71—Spc.5 Field Artillery
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 17 Dec 2020, 19:17

Great photos, Chris -- many thanks for sharing them with us!

Cheers,

Br. James

Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker » 03 Jan 2021, 18:41

What is the name of the golf course that is just below the old Berghof site, the one you skirt the boundary of when heading down to the Mooslahnerkopf. I checked google maps, and I can't get the data to name the ski resort, I only get what I think are the names of the lifts. Although I'm not that google map savy.
Also I assume this particular ski resort was built many years ago, could someone post the names of the resort over the years? Sorry for such an elementary question, but I love the area-weak on its history.

Update to this post: on google maps, I came across the name 'Wintersportschule Berchtesgaden GbR'; is this the current name of the ski resort just below the old Berghof site? Seems like this is connected to the golf course? Also looks as if the golf ski area encompasses the entire area below the Berghof? Are these questions correct?
In the book 'The Obersalzberg and the 3rd Reich by Anton Plenk 1982, I think this same golf/ski area is mentioned, then called Skytop Lodge, the former Bormann Gutshof area.

Mannheim

Driveway

Post by Mannheim » 03 Jan 2021, 22:41

I'm probably about to display my ignorance here but what is this pathway/road? Could this be the elusive reversing area to get the mighty limousines in and out of the driveway? I can see the path to the Mooslahnerkopf in the near distance but I can't remember ever seeing that pathway/road in any previous photo.
Attachments
Driveway.jpg
Driveway.jpg (165.24 KiB) Viewed 983 times
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

Max

Re: Driveway

Post by Max » 04 Jan 2021, 07:41

Mannheim wrote:
03 Jan 2021, 22:41
I'm probably about to display my ignorance here but what is this pathway/road? Could this be the elusive reversing area to get the mighty limousines in and out of the driveway? I can see the path to the Mooslahnerkopf in the near distance but I can't remember ever seeing that pathway/road in any previous photo.
Alas, no.
I think it's just a quirk in the perspective of the photo
If you look behind the banner/flag you can see what looks like the Bormann tree.
The arrowed road leads to the gate house below the Berghof.
B TREE CU.jpg
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 04 Jan 2021, 18:58

In the german language, such a small "road/curve" was sometimes called a "Kehrkurve/Umkehrkurve".

Was used to turn cars, or big trucks to return, and move in the former direction again...

"umkehren" = kehrtmachen, zurückgehen, zurückfahren, etc.

Hans1906

The german term is related to the german railway system.
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Biber

Post by Biber » 04 Jan 2021, 19:17

As has already been noted, that was hardly a small road used to turn cars around. That was THE main road up to the Berghof. It's just an odd angle that makes it look like a minor road.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 04 Jan 2021, 20:13

Duane Becker wrote:
03 Jan 2021, 18:41
What is the name of the golf course that is just below the old Berghof site, the one you skirt the boundary of when heading down to the Mooslahnerkopf. I checked google maps, and I can't get the data to name the ski resort, I only get what I think are the names of the lifts. Although I'm not that google map savy.
Also I assume this particular ski resort was built many years ago, could someone post the names of the resort over the years? Sorry for such an elementary question, but I love the area-weak on its history.

Update to this post: on google maps, I came across the name 'Wintersportschule Berchtesgaden GbR'; is this the current name of the ski resort just below the old Berghof site? Seems like this is connected to the golf course? Also looks as if the golf ski area encompasses the entire area below the Berghof? Are these questions correct?
In the book 'The Obersalzberg and the 3rd Reich by Anton Plenk 1982, I think this same golf/ski area is mentioned, then called Skytop Lodge, the former Bormann Gutshof area.
Hi all - Happy New Year to everyone!

Duane, that golf course was built in 1955 for US military members and their families. The entire area US military complex was variously called the Berchtesgaden Leave and Rest Center, Berchtesgaden Recreation Area, and Armed Forced Recreation Area-Berchtesgaden. I imagine the ski lifts were installed in the latter 1950s, after the golf course. I know the ski lifts were there in the early 1960s. Under US Army control, 1945-1995, both the golf course and ski area were run from the former Gutshof building. The adjacent hotel was known as the Skytop Lodge (this building had been the employee residence for the Gutshof). Because that's where patrons often stayed in the winter for ski classes, it was also called the Skytop Ski Area. (In 1950, this building was called the Hotel Gutshof Obersalzberg.)

The golf course was called U.S. Forces Golf Course, and there was also a Golf Club Berchtesgaden. This was a German club that is still in existence and now runs the golf course. The ski area there is run by the company you found. The ski section of the Gutshof is now called the Alpincenter Wintersportschule Berchtesgaden-Obersalzberg (or just Skischule Berchtesgaden).

Hope this helps,
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker » 05 Jan 2021, 05:18

Thanks Geoff for the info, that really helps...

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”