Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
headwest

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by headwest » 10 Feb 2021, 19:37

HI

I will let others with far more knowledge than me answer definitively, but I remember, I think it was Geoff who said the bricks you see still cemented together are probably from dumps there from other buildings and debris and not from the house. that the house is buried under alot of this debris they dumped there so none of the actual house or parts of are exposed

the only thing I think that is exposed is part of the driveway up at the top you can see pavement, and I think that is original. also some of the rocks in the retaining wall are viewable.

but take this with a grain of salt

thanks

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 10 Feb 2021, 23:48

I was meaning the bricks and chunks of concrete that one used to see just lying around there on top of the ground. Most of these loose "souvenirs" are gone now. But over the past 10-12 years, some remains of the house itself have eroded out of the covering fill. A few years ago I spent several hours going over the site with a copy of the architect's plans and a long tape measure.
The connected brick corner that Mark Felton's video (the one I have seen) says was part of the staircase, is in the right place to be part of the left front corner of the main part of the house ("left" from inside the house - the corner that was beside the garage).
According to the measurements I took, that square piece of reddish marble that is said to be the base of one of the pillars at the Berghof entry area, does indeed measure within 10cm of where that pillar shows on the plans. So that would appear to be the base of that pillar.
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

AmateurHistorian

Post by AmateurHistorian » 11 Feb 2021, 10:58

@headwest, that's exactly why I ask. There is too much confusion there. I think we all know the pictures of the berghof being filled with rubble.
As a kid in the eighties I heard the story that the rubble was contaminated just to keep adventure diggers out. And especially at the retaining wall there must be 2.5 meters of rubble on top of the berghof.

One day I will go to the berghof again with measuring gear and spray-paint. When you see the berghof mapped out on the sand it was me.

I will draw it in on my map. If there is anyone with no life who wants to help me creating the map(s) please let me know.
And I really mean no life, I have already spend close to a 100 hours on drawing it and every time, based on new information I need to move stuff around.

Do you know any other buildings in Berchtesgadenerland outside of the Obersalzberg which I do not have on my map yet?

I have the Dietrich Eckhart hostpital, the Berchtesgadenerhof, the villa of Himmler(s mistress), the Adolf hitler kazerne, the Adolf Hitler Yought hostel, the haubtbahnhof, the kleine Reichkanslerei, the houses of Dietrick Eckhart, the tunnel with Görings art train.
I have the Luftwaffe HQ (probably) (Hubertus Hotel). The houses of Jodl and Keitel. Something tells me there should be much more NS connected buildings in the Berchtesgaden valley.
But this part is really a deep search. You have to dive deep in books and texts to find houses and addresses by accident.

CPB

Post by CPB » 11 Feb 2021, 11:22

AmateurHistorian wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 10:58
And I really mean no life,
Fear not, you are among friends here :D

headwest

Post by headwest » 11 Feb 2021, 19:17

Ha I laughed at the NO LIFE comment, thats me!

Geoff, thanks for clarifying, i forgot you had done that, isn't there a video of you there doing this? Geoff is like THE authority for this stuff!

I wonder if it keep eroding how much of the basement or parts of the structure are there

i do remember reading that back in the day you could get in to parts of the basement thru the garage. i am sure its filled in but if someone ever cleared it all out i wonder if the walls or floors are still intact

Project X

Post by Project X » 12 Feb 2021, 00:40

If you see a mobile home with Dutch registration on the Betghof site in the summer months, then it is Henk. Just ask him for photos - you will be amazed what this man has and knows ...

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 12 Feb 2021, 06:10

Hi headwest! I got under the Berghof in the late 70s/early 80s (when it was (cough cough) off limits "Eintritt stregstens verboten" usw). If you hunt around here:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=28208&hilit=Mannhe ... start=1830
you will find some of my photos.
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

CPB

Post by CPB » 12 Feb 2021, 11:25

headwest wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 19:17

Geoff, thanks for clarifying, i forgot you had done that, isn't there a video of you there doing this? Geoff is like THE authority for this stuff!

I wonder if it keep eroding how much of the basement or parts of the structure are there

i do remember reading that back in the day you could get in to parts of the basement thru the garage. i am sure its filled in but if someone ever cleared it all out i wonder if the walls or floors are still intact
This might be the documentary you're thinking of. Geoff appears about 6 mins 22 seconds from the start. Highly highly recommended...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmAEzoR ... e=emb_logo

CPB

Post by CPB » 12 Feb 2021, 11:25

CPB wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 11:25
headwest wrote:

This might be the documentary you're thinking of. Geoff appears about 6 mins from the start. Highly highly recommended...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmAEzoR ... e=emb_logo

AmateurHistorian

Post by AmateurHistorian » 12 Feb 2021, 19:52

headwest wrote:
The map is not finished and it's currently not public because I am still editing. But I would like every help and review I can get!

https://www.imgurupload.com/uploads/202 ... a4e303.png

https://www.imgurupload.com/uploads/202 ... 50c035.jpg

https://www.imgurupload.com/uploads/202 ... 05e11e.jpg

headwest

Post by headwest » 16 Feb 2021, 02:31

Wow, such great work as always by everyone!

that is the doc i meant by geoff! and nice work laying everything out there. is that a google earth layer you can download? i only ask because i would like to but maybe a different symbol?

thanks Geoff for the update

Geoff's site, thirdreichruins, is still one I visit often and love. I think I asked him once if it were possible to update so if you clicked on a picture it would open larger but I think thats a ton of work, still once of the coolest sites for history and the war ever

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 16 Feb 2021, 02:45

Don't forget to buy Geoff's book!

CraigM

Post by CraigM » 16 Feb 2021, 03:14

Annelie wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 02:45
https://www.amazon.com/Hitlers-Berchtes ... B00K1L5EJU

AmateurHistorian

Post by AmateurHistorian » 17 Feb 2021, 13:30

Annelie wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 02:45
I bought Geoff's book(s) without even knowing it.

And I still have to check the books which are at my brother's. We bought those at the (former) busstop to Kehlstein in the eighties.

During my last post I was disturbed by my wife who said the dinner was ready.
What I wanted to add is:

If you want to review the map I made, please send me a pm and I will share the link.

AmateurHistorian

Post by AmateurHistorian » 17 Feb 2021, 13:44

I also have another question for today. It's about the top of the hill near the house of Göring.
So next to the hotel there is this remembrance plate.
Based on a number if pictures with the Göring adjudancy and other currently existing objects I was able to put some lines on the photo's until the lines crossed.
I mapped out those lines on google maps too. And I found that the top of the hill was actually in the inner garden of the hotel about 80 meters from the memorial. Is that location correct according to you?

https://i.postimg.cc/R0wN8fkp/goringhill.png

On the map it is the pointer close to the "Kaminbar"

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”