Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
BEGAFILM

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by BEGAFILM » 20 Mar 2021 21:31

Hey guys,

I have a new video for you today:

THE FUEHRER'S HEADQUARTERS EMERGES - A STROLL ACROSS HITLERS OBERSALZBERG - Documentary

This documentary will show for the first time, on the basis of previously unpublished film footage, both the extensive construction work of Bormann's most important projects on the Obersalzberg, as well as landscape shots of the Obersalzberg and the surrounding mountains. Unique aerial shots of the "Führersperrgebiet" (the restricted area for the Fuehrer) impressively convey the gigantic scale of the transformation of a mountain under the swastika.

Please enjoy,

BEGAFILM
BEGAFILM - History in Motion
Always on the hunt for new Material - If you have films on old formats/film rolls that you cant play - send them over. We will be happy to make the world see it once again.

Mike Tal

Post by Mike Tal » 25 Mar 2021 20:49

Maybe a dumb question.... But was the panoramatic window in the great hall of Berghof electrically or manually operated? Or both? In a number of documentaries I saw footage of Hitler and Goering strolling around the great hall talking and for a second you can see an adjutant turning a crank-like mechanism to raise (or lower, can't remember which) the window. The mechanism is located on the right hand side of the window.

BEGAFILM

Post by BEGAFILM » 26 Mar 2021 18:47

Hey guys,

I have a new video for you today.

Herbert Döhring, born in 1913, was a caretaker at Hitler's Berghof on Obersalzberg between 1936 and 1943. His wife Anna had already been working as a cook at Haus Wachenfeld since 1933. Döhring, who died in 2001, was one of the best contemporary witnesses from Hitler's immediate environment due to his extraordinary memory. Impressively he describes here the extensive construction work of the transformation of the Obersalzberg to the "Führersperrgebiet".

Please enjoy,

BEGAFILM

PS: @Mike Tal - Yes, the window was manually operated. Btw, Herbert Doehring often overheard Hitlers conversations when he was in the basement.
BEGAFILM - History in Motion
Always on the hunt for new Material - If you have films on old formats/film rolls that you cant play - send them over. We will be happy to make the world see it once again.

Siegener Nachkomme

Post by Siegener Nachkomme » 27 Mar 2021 17:52

I don’t believe this has been posted yet. 1961 film about tourism at the Obersalzberg.

https://www.ardmediathek.de/video/swr-r ... vW6sQ083dw

I’ll be interested to read observations about it.

Matt

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 27 Mar 2021 18:30

Thanks for the link to this very interesting film! I liked the interview with Therese Partner at the Hotel zum Türken, particularly since her daughter Ingrid Scharfenberg refused media interviews and refused the media permission to film in the "Bunker." It is also interesting that at this time (1961) the Türken Bunker tour went farther back into the tunnels, into the actual area where Hitler and Eva Braun had their rooms. Also completely new to me was the mechanism for controlling the Kehlsteinhaus elevator, which looked possibly like a ship's engine order telegraph, or something like that. Not the push-button controls we see today. And how cheap it was then, to ride up and down the mountain!
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 27 Mar 2021 21:58

Excellent films and interviews -- countless thanks for providing them! In the interview with Herbert Döhring, he makes a peculiar statement; when talking about the Kehlsteinhaus, he says that Hitler went up there many times...and then he adds that Hitler didn't like going up there and would cancel trips up the mountain at the last minute! I have read that Hitler didn't like going up the mountain and that he actually only went up there on a very few occasions...so Döhring's stating that 'Hitler had gone up there many times' came to me as a surprise!

Döhring also gives some detail as to the creation of the Kehlsteinhaus, but he never connects the building's construction to Hitler's 50th birthday! This also surprised me, as I had long read that the Kehlsteinhaus was created by Bormann essentially as a gift to Hitler for his birthday in 1939. Obviously such a huge building project could never have been undertaken as a 'surprise' for Hitler, but Döhring makes no connection between the creation of the Kehlsteinhaus and Hitler's 50th birthday celebration whatsoever. Interesting!

Br. James

N.C. Wyeth

Post by N.C. Wyeth » 28 Mar 2021 02:24

Geoff Walden wrote:
27 Mar 2021 18:30
I liked the interview with Therese Partner at the Hotel zum Türken, particularly since her daughter Ingrid Scharfenberg refused media interviews and refused the media permission to film in the "Bunker."
I was thinking of you, GW when watching this clip. Knew instantly how much you would appreciate it. :wink:
History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time; it illuminates reality, vitalizes memory, provides guidance in daily life, and brings us tidings of antiquity. - Cicero

N.C. Wyeth

Post by N.C. Wyeth » 28 Mar 2021 03:18

And how striking it is, to see all of those Tourists on the mountain at that time! Must have been a great time for business up there. A striking difference to what we see today. It may be my opinion, but interesting to note that the tone of the tourism business from that period appears to have much more of that "Disneyland" feel than it does currently - even if the bus-loads of people today are just as crammed as before. The last time I visited, I was amazed for how so many people were carted right up to the Kehlstein - and then made a quick escape to somewhere else. When I took my friend and Dad to the Türken, we were literally the only three people there for hours (even so, that the place was closed) - and at that time, that crazy bus-stop was full of people waiting to get to the top of the mountain. In those clips, we see people taking walks all over the mountain - very aware of the history that passed through the place. Today, I feel as if most people travelling through there today are only doing so for all the hype - aware of nothing for which they are viewing.
History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time; it illuminates reality, vitalizes memory, provides guidance in daily life, and brings us tidings of antiquity. - Cicero

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 03 Apr 2021 22:32

The girl at the left is Marion Schönemann, someone know who is the girl at the right?

The place is the terrace of the Berghof.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

terryobrien

Post by terryobrien » 04 Apr 2021 04:17

Hi. I am new here and this thread is 400+ pages long so I doubt if I have anything new to add.
I am sure you have all heard of the "Now & Then" series by Ruiter Productions

Here is Obersalzberg Now & Then: the Mountain Retreat of Adolf Hitler

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 06 Apr 2021 22:51

Helly Angel wrote:
03 Apr 2021 22:32
The girl at the left is Marion Schönemann, someone know who is the girl at the right?

The place is the terrace of the Berghof.

Thanks!
Hi Helly,
I'm thinking that looks like Anni Brandt on the right, but not sure.
Geoff
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 06 Apr 2021 23:45

Hello dear Geoff! Happy to read you! I was thinking the same but not sure.... And that woman really look like her!

Thank you my friend!

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 06 Apr 2021 23:47

This beautfiul postcard was sold today in Bartko. I think is 1934.

Enjoy it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 07 Apr 2021 01:29

Hello all,

This friend is one the great misteries of the Berghof, at least to me! Someone know who is he?

Best regards,

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 07 Apr 2021 01:30

In the first picture: ? Otto Dietrich, Walter Hewel and Wilhelm Brückner.

All the picture are from Eva Braun Album, NARA Archives.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”