Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
headwest

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by headwest » 22 Jun 2021, 14:29

ah thank you very much, I hadn't seen that although I enjoy Mark's videos from time to time

headwest

Post by headwest » 23 Jun 2021, 14:59

I am pretty sure my old brain asked this before but i was re watching some of the video coverage from shortly after the berghof was captured. in one of the clips you see a civilian carrying I think a chair off down the road close to hitlers driveway so i am assuming he went into the house.

if as I have read the berghof was plundered by civilians and soldiers upon arrival, has any actual REAL furniture or objects turned up in Berchtesgaden? how in the world can you ever tell if something is really from there?

a local, and reputable seller of WW2 memorabilia, often has things like cutlery with the AH on them, or a serving tray and ladle purported to be from one of Hitlers places, Berghof tunnel, eagles nest, Munich. but how would you even know?

also wasn't it pretty well burned out? could there really have been much left?

i def know i have asked this before, but there are pics of the berghof being blown up, so you would think someone also filmed that, has any film of the event ever turned up?

thanks much!

palaisfan

Post by palaisfan » 24 Jun 2021, 17:40

In an old book of the Obersalzberg "The History of a Mountain" it gives even the exact time of the ruins destruction. At least according to it, the Berghof was blown up at 1705 hours on 30 April 1952. The sequence of blowing apart you see does look much like simply taken from a film progression. But I don't know.

palaisfan

Post by palaisfan » 24 Jun 2021, 17:44

Geoff Walden wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 17:16
Hi Annelie,
The results of some of these artwork shufflings can be seen in postcards and photos of the Berghof. For example, in the Great Room, sometimes there was a Madonna by Bugiardini over the fireplace, sometimes nothing there; on the south wall (to the left of the fireplace) sometimes there was a portrait of Helmut von Moltke, but sometimes this portrait hung over the fireplace in Hitler's office, and its place in the Great Room was taken by "Nana" by Feuerbach (usually this "Nana" was on the west wall); there were a couple of Roman ruins scenes by Pannini that appeared in various locations; sometimes Bordone's "Woman with Apple" was on the west wall (Speer called this one "Woman with Exposed Bosom), but sometimes it was elsewhere or stored.
In Hitler's office, the portrait over the fireplace was sometimes the Helmut von Moltke mentioned above, but sometimes Friedrich the Great by Pesne; portraits of Hitler's parents hung on the front wall, but Speer said that the one of Hitler's father was replaced by a portrait of Julius Schreck by Knirr (?).
Geoff
This is very interesting. That's the kind of thing that could be possibly be useful in dating relatively uncertain pictures at some future point, conceivably. But there would be alot of variables. Where was the portrait of Geli Raubal (allegedly by Adolf Ziegler) supposedly? It doesn't seem to be in the office or Great Room.

CPB

Post by CPB » 02 Jul 2021, 10:34

Does anyone have a hi-resolution version of this photo of the dining room of Haus Göring?

It's the second/lower of the two photos I'm most interested in...
Attachments
Haus Goring.jpg

Mike Tal

Post by Mike Tal » 14 Jul 2021, 09:40

On my way home from vacation in Slovenia (nice WWI Isonzo Front memorials, my great-grandfather fought there in Austro-Hungarian Army), I realized that I will be passing Obersalzberg with a minor detour of about 15 km. How could I resist? :) Ad lo and behold, I happened to be there almost to a day five years from my last visit. The following is just my impression of what has changed or remained the same and a couple of photos. I spent about an hour and a half there and simply took a walk through the main sights....
- I walked down from the main parking lot, which is a bit dodgy now, since there is construction work around the Obersalzberg Documentation Center and the path is closed. Had to take a really slippery way through wet bushes etc.
- The Berghof itself is just as it was. Just the trees are getting taller. And the explanation board located in about the great hall still has the Holocaust mention scratched out. I still found pieces of the cammo netting.
11_Berghof I.jpg
10_Berghof II.jpg
- Bitumen concrete from inside or just outside the garage is still there.
9_Roadop.jpg
9_Roadop.jpg (61.74 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
- The Borman Linden tree! What a challenge. Five years ago it was quite grown up, but this time I had hard time locating it. Someone took care in chopping it down again Yet! It still sprouts and finally I found it.
8_Linden.jpg
8_Linden.jpg (57.27 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
- Zum Turken is still Zum Turken. At least from the outside.
7_Tuerken.jpg

Mike Tal

Post by Mike Tal » 14 Jul 2021, 09:43

Continued...
- Mooslahnerkopf Teehaus is still as it was. Eradicated and remains covered with shotcrete. There are some remains of foundations. I found a slab with "03" carved into it. And a block with rusty steel hooks.
1_Teehaus V.jpg
1_Teehaus V.jpg (59.39 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
2_Teehaus IV.jpg
2_Teehaus IV.jpg (62.43 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
3_Teehaus III.jpg
- Mooslahnerkopf viewing platform. Pretty much the same, no hiking pointers to this day. Which is a good thing, since there was not a soul in sight. Five years ago there were some bells hanging in the trees, some Nazi memorabilia and a plaque of some deceased guy on a rock. All is gone now.
5__Teehaus I.jpg
4_Teehaus II.jpg
- I walked backed through the SS Barracks site and there is some construction work going on there. I wonder what?

And that's all I managed :)

CPB

Post by CPB » 14 Jul 2021, 16:33

Thanks for sharing the photos, nice to see!

Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker » 16 Jul 2021, 04:01

Thanks for the photos and update Mike Tal!

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 16 Jul 2021, 19:19

There is no need to be rude in expressing your opinions here!

I don't agree with you and your opinion.

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 16 Jul 2021, 19:48

Hans,

I very much appreciate your interventions and I value your knowledge about the Third Reich that you usually share with those of us who have never been to Germany, which is good and valuable. But sometimes like this, you tend to seem aggressive and defensive about being German or what happened in your country, as if you were to blame yourself. I have interviewed people who were from both sides, both from the Reich and from the resistance, and I shared with an SS veteran who was a great visitor to this forum and was a great person, very loved. None of them displayed that kind of defensive stance.

In this case, the boy only posted current photos of the place, that's fine, I don't see the problem, I just regret that the photos are not in high resolution. He didn't say he grabbed a stone either, which I agree with you. Imagine that everyone took a stone from Auschwitz! In 5 years there would be no museum.

I appreciate the photos, I have never been there, I am fascinated by history, not by "walking" where Hitler walked. I do not have the right to visit the historical places of Germany?

You talk about the merchandise of the Reich of the 1000 years ... I remind you that you have a collection of many postcards, photos and original articles of the Reich, both from the BDM and the RADwJ ... Isn't that a fascination for the Third Reich or for Hitler?

After many years on this forum, I sadly discovered that three of my immediate family members were vilely murdered during WWII by Germans. From your own people. Do I blame you for that? Or am I on the defensive against the Germans for that? No. Get over it.

Sorry, but I can't agree with your opinion on this, although I mostly like your contributions.

Greetings

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 16 Jul 2021, 20:15

Helly,

each as he likes, I see no limits.
It is as always a dichotomy between the own past, and the "today".

I could densely post this forum with historical photos, but that doesn't make sense, since I don't know the background of most of the pictures...
I simply lack the time, and also my own patience, to post even a few photos.

Sitting on a mountain of photos, not being able to publish all that, I don't wish that on you.
One day, in the near or distant future....

Take care

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker » 17 Jul 2021, 08:05

I tend to understand the comments, whether positive or negative on the past.
I have been a long time reader of World War II. About 15 years ago, I was reading a book that had a couple of photographs of the Obersalzberg showing where Hitler had a home. I was taken in with the surrounding scenery. I thought there could not be such a place on earth that was as beautiful. In 2019 my wife and I vacationed in Berchtesgaden and the Obersalzberg. To my amazement, the land and scenery was even more then I could have imagined. Although I do have the events of WWII in the back of my mind, my first and foremost reason that I love the Obersalzberg is the beauty. We plan to go back, if nothing else because I fell in love with the town of Berchtesgaden. These are my reasons why I am interested or fixated with the area.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 17 Jul 2021, 16:19

Hans1906, you have rather consistently shown yourself in a bad light on this forum, but your insulting and rudely opinionated criticism of Mike Tal's post was uncalled for. Your posts remind me of another forum member some years ago (thank goodness he is gone) who enjoyed criticizing others' posts and writings. Like his opinions were, your own are no more valid or relevant than anyone else's. If you don't like the content posted in this thread, please don't read it. If all you can post are your negative opinions, please keep them to yourself.
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Terry Duncan
Forum Staff

Post by Terry Duncan » 17 Jul 2021, 16:48

A pointlessly insulting post from Hans1906 was removed by this moderator.

Hans1906.

It is against the forum rules to make insulting posts against another member, if you do not like what they post you are always free to ignore them. As others have commented, you have earned yourself a rather poor reputation for being rude to others over the last year or so, and whilst I am willing to allow some latitude due to the circumstances Covid 19 has created for people, this has to stop now. Senior staff are unlikely to be impressed when they see yet another removed post from you, so maybe you should apologise to Mike Tal at the very least. What they will do when they see the removed post is not up to me but by being rude so needlessly you are treading on very thin ice now.

Terry Duncan

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”