Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
headwest

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by headwest » 21 Feb 2023, 22:36

I don’t think either are correct

Geoff and others have said a ton of debris was dumped on the stir and most of that there is from those dumps
I could be wrong but that’s what I remember

Biber

Post by Biber » 22 Feb 2023, 00:31

I would think that his source for identifying these things was the local guide he mentions in the video. Sorry I don't remember the name off hand.

Edit: I was working from my phone earlier so wasn't able to jump back to the video. The guide's name is Tom Lewis.

headwest

Post by headwest » 22 Feb 2023, 01:48

Obviously the driveway part is real snd part of the wall with it

Some of the walls and rocks at the entrance to the driveways

The retaining wall

I had asked about the steps a while ago and was told they could be intact but are buried

Maybe the fireplace was measured out and is that location but I’d ask Geoff and others who really know the layout and history

I think the first floor basement is intact underground where the bowling alley was etc

The English collector Kevin wheatcroft had a story where in the 80s he went thru the garage into the basement and that was still there

Anyway always interesting stuff but I don’t think those are the steps or fireplace

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 22 Feb 2023, 07:28

I got into the garage and cellars of the Berghof in the 1980s (from memory). You can find my photos here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=28208&hilit=Mannhe ... start=1830
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

headwest

Post by headwest » 22 Feb 2023, 21:23

those are amazing! is the one that is easy to see of a doorway and hall in the basement of the berghof?

and the one with the staircase that is destroyed, berghof as well?

headwest

Post by headwest » 22 Feb 2023, 21:24

I would like to ask a really dumb question if i may

I have always noticed how steep the lawns are around the berghof in front and side and behind

not just here but any lawns back then, did they actually have lawn mower like now? or how were lawns taken care of? are there any pics of a possible mower from the 40s?

thanks !

Biber

Post by Biber » 22 Feb 2023, 21:51

Not a dumb question at all. I've wondered that myself. I can imagine when AH was in residence the groundskeepers had a hard time getting things done.

Duane Becker

Help Identify a photo of Berchtesgaden

Post by Duane Becker » 05 Mar 2023, 01:52

I know this thread is supposed to be about the Obersalzberg in general, but I need some help on identifying a picture. It is from a puzzle produced by the Ravensburger puzzle company in Germany. I am trying to find the location where this picture was taken. Maybe some people on this site could be familiar with the town of Berchtesgaden. First of all, the round hill with yellow-green tree foliage, is that the Lockstein ? It is at center and below the Watzmann?
I know the picture is facing toward the south, and I can get a general bearing of the location between the Lockstein and the Watzmann, if that hill is indeed the Lockstein.
In looking at Google Maps, I can get a general area somewhere near the area where Locksteinstrasse curves up and around the Lockstein at the vicinity of Fachklinik Berchtesgaden (I think this is a hospital) but maybe down the road.

I am planning a trip next year back to Berchtesgaden and for fun would like to find this location. I also am aware of this area being private property and will conform to staying on public roads.
IMG_5296.JPG
IMG_5296.JPG (76.28 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
Last edited by Duane Becker on 05 Mar 2023, 04:48, edited 1 time in total.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 05 Mar 2023, 03:49

In reply to headwest re the steps at the Berghof site.

If you go here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=28208&hilit=Mannhe ... start=1920

you will find a photo of my son (about halfway down) in 1989 standing near some steps from the Berghof before additional rubble was added. I don't know which steps they are or where they are now, probably under the subsequent rubble but back in the day it was not unusual to see people piling various bits of brick and other souvenirs etc into their cars so it's possible that those steps are now part of someone's barbeque setting or whatever. I must admit I did souvenir a few roofing nails myself.

headwest

Post by headwest » 05 Mar 2023, 16:07

Ah thank u for that

Great picture too ! So cool you and your son got to go !

Is that the garage behind him ? It sure might be the steps

They look like them and the positions seems right

Thanks for showing me !!

v60pih

Re: Help Identify a photo of Berchtesgaden

Post by v60pih » 06 Mar 2023, 22:25

Duane Becker wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 01:52
I know this thread is supposed to be about the Obersalzberg in general, but I need some help on identifying a picture.....
I think it's near by the Metzenleitenweg.

Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker » 07 Mar 2023, 05:51

Thanks v60pih. I was thinking that it was closer to Berchtesgaden town center, but your reply makes more sense, just a little further out. I appreciate the help.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 07 Mar 2023, 08:02

In reply to headwest:
Unfortunately I have some problems with identifying the location of these photos. I took the one of my son with the steps nearby in 1989. (If you search around page 129 there are other photos, including one of my son in the Platterhof garage.) I do recall taking the one with the steps where I thought the entrance to the Berghof was (i.e. at the foot of the staircase up to the main entrance) but even then I doubted that those remnants were the actual steps up to the Berghof. However, back then I only took photos in two places: the Berghof site and the site of the Goering house. The Berghof ones were all taken on the current site but before the additional Platterhof rubble was deposited there. I have since thought that the wall behind my son to the right may have been the rear wall of the adjutancy huts, especially considering how much of the brickwork, masonry etc has been souvenired over the years. Even so, there should be should be part of the Berghof retaining wall visible, especially considering there was more of it above ground 34 years ago. The bottom line is that all I can say for certain was that that photo was taken on the Berghof site. I took comparatively few photos because back in 1989 you weren't allowed into the site: there was a barbed wire fence and a number of warning signs threatening all sorts of Germanic payback for transgressors. So I imagine I wasn't setting the best example for my son by trespassing but to be honest we had travelled 12,000 miles to be there and I wasn't to be put off.
In terms of the Goeing house photos (also available somewhere in this Forum), I posted the photo below some years ago and even Geoff admitted he couldn't place where I had taken it. In the intervening years I have bought Florian Beierl's book "Inside Hitler's Mountain" (an excellent resource, BTW) and found a photo on page 217 which started me thinking. My photo was, I think, taken at the site of the Goering house and the brickwork looks similar to the photo of the Goering bunker being dismantled on page 217. OK, I realise that that sort of brickwork was common on buildings of that period and in that location but Florian Beierl's photo shows the only surviving (well until then) building of that type that I can recollect seeing on the Obersalzberg and I was only there last November. I'm just putting it out there to see what people think. I am not hopeful...
Attachments
Bunker 2.jpg
Bunker 1.jpg

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 07 Mar 2023, 08:03

No idea why they're sideways, sorry.

steve248

Post by steve248 » 10 Mar 2023, 14:59

On 19 July 1944, near Caen in Normandy, the British captured a 19 year old Austrian SS-Schütze serving with 2.SS-PGR, 1.Batl., 3.Komp.. Shortly afterwards his interrogation report of 23 pages plus 10-15 appendices. Below is the first appendix, a hand-drawn map of Obersalzburg with locations of various places mentioned in the many posts above;

Anyone interested in the entire interrog report I am happy to share - send me a PM with an email address - and will come via wetransfer
IMG_0412a.png
IMG_0412a.png (212.63 KiB) Viewed 1399 times

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”