Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Mongoose

Obersalzberg

Post by Mongoose » 17 Aug 2003, 18:29

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to get to the Obersalzberg from England? I am planning on arriving at Salzburg Airport. Can you get a taxi from there? Or is it better to go by train?

Thanks.

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 17 Aug 2003, 18:45

Hello!

No train to there. The taxi from the Airport to the site is easiest and it is not far. You can also go to the Mirabellplatz in Salzburg and take the Eagle´s Nest tour from Panorama Tours there. Also a easy way.

\Christoph

TheContemplator

Post by TheContemplator » 18 Aug 2003, 03:11

Hello, what would be Obersalzburg? Though I have never travelled to Europe before, I intend to visit Salzburg in Austria sometime this year. Thanks for your feedback.

Grünherz

Obersalzburg...

Post by Grünherz » 18 Aug 2003, 06:50

Obersalzberg would be the area where Hitler built his vacation house (the Berghof) and spent much of his "spare" time. There are probably many posts on this Forum that would give you much information.
Tom
--have a good trip!
--also, there is virtually nothing left of the Berghof! Take a look at
thirdreichruins.com for photos to help you identify where the site was.
(search also Eagle's Nest, Kehlsteinhaus, Berchtesgaden etc.)
--please post any photos you take of the area!!! later...(and Goring-hill!).
Last edited by Grünherz on 23 Aug 2003, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose » 18 Aug 2003, 21:13

Christoph Awender wrote:Hello!

No train to there. The taxi from the Airport to the site is easiest and it is not far. You can also go to the Mirabellplatz in Salzburg and take the Eagle´s Nest tour from Panorama Tours there. Also a easy way.

\Christoph
Many thanks for your help!

AvD

Re: Obersalzberg... §not ... burg !)

Post by AvD » 19 Aug 2003, 00:16

tscrawford wrote:--please post any photos you take of the area!!! later...(and Goring-hill!).
You can have a look at the Göring hill day and night: there are two webcams (one from the Kehlsteinhaus):

http://www.gewerbegrund.de/projekte/obe ... frame.html

Grünherz

Re: Obersalzberg... §not ... burg !)

Post by Grünherz » 19 Aug 2003, 00:40

AvD wrote:
tscrawford wrote:--please post any photos you take of the area!!! later...(and Goring-hill!).
You can have a look at the Göring hill day and night: there are two webcams (one from the Kehlsteinhaus):

http://www.gewerbegrund.de/projekte/obe ... frame.html
Terrific! Thanks!!
Tom

TheContemplator

Re: Obersalzburg...

Post by TheContemplator » 23 Aug 2003, 05:49

tscrawford wrote:Obersalzburg would be the area where Hitler built his vacation house (the Berghof) and spent much of his "spare" time. There are probably many posts on this Forum that would give you much information.
Tom
--have a good trip!
--also, there is virtually nothing left of the Berghof! Take a look at
thirdreichruins.com for photos to help you identify where the site was.
(search also Eagle's Nest, Kehlsteinhaus, etc.)
--please post any photos you take of the area!!! later...(and Goring-hill!).
Thanks for ur reply. I thought Hitler's "summer home" would be called the Bergestgaden (sp?). If there is nothing left of the Berghof, why do tourists still visit there? Isn't there any mention of Hitler or World War II relations there? Any mini-museum or a store of the subject? Thanks again.

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Re: Obersalzburg...

Post by Christoph Awender » 23 Aug 2003, 06:43

TheContemplator wrote: Thanks for ur reply. I thought Hitler's "summer home" would be called the Bergestgaden (sp?). If there is nothing left of the Berghof, why do tourists still visit there? Isn't there any mention of Hitler or World War II relations there? Any mini-museum or a store of the subject? Thanks again.
Hello!

Berchtesgaden is the german town near the place. As you heard there were several parts of this complex which were named differently and many parts don´t exist any more. What people still visit is the "Eagle´s nest" (Kehlsteinhaus) on the very top of the mountain and some side houses. You have tourist informations, guides etc.. there.
Go to http://www.obersalzberg.de

\Christoph

Mich

Post by Mich » 23 Aug 2003, 10:16

According to my opinion people still visit the Obersalzberg because they know it's a very historical place.

It's handy to take some old pictures of the Berghof with you to the Obersalzberg, so that you can compare.

I was there in april of this year and I could easily recognize the place where Hitler's Berghof once stood.

Mich.

Johnny

Post by Johnny » 23 Aug 2003, 15:40

From the airport to Salzburg central station, from there to berchtesgarden, and then you could book yourself on the best tour on obersalzberg there is, I think it's called the eagle's nest tour or something like that takes you by all the old houses and so on, just go to the berchesgaden tourist information office that's located across the street from the berchtesgaden station (that station was built for Hitler and the obersalzberg pilgrimage). I suggest you stay in berchtesgaden aswell cus it's one of the most beautiful sites in europe.

/J

AvD

Post by AvD » 23 Aug 2003, 17:30

I suggest you stay in berchtesgaden aswell cus it's one of the most beautiful sites in europe.
And ask somebody to bring you to café Lockstein: it is on the top of a high rock in front of the Obersalzberg and gives you one of the most tremendous views over Berchtesgaden, the Obersalzbarg, the Kehlstein and so on. It's only a few minutes driving from center town.
And go also to the old cemetery in town (not the Soldatenfriedhof). There is a long wall opposite the valley side. You will find there tens and tens of rememberance plates of German soldiers with their pictures.

Johnny

Post by Johnny » 23 Aug 2003, 19:58

AvD wrote:
I suggest you stay in berchtesgaden aswell cus it's one of the most beautiful sites in europe.
And go also to the old cemetery in town (not the Soldatenfriedhof). There is a long wall opposite the valley side. You will find there tens and tens of rememberance plates of German soldiers with their pictures.
I'd reccomend the ww1 and ww2 gedenkmahl instead at the berchtesgaden rathaus.

AvD

Post by AvD » 23 Aug 2003, 21:04

Why "instead"?

Johnny

Post by Johnny » 24 Aug 2003, 19:12

Because running around in graveyards to look at tombstones as tourist attractions is not my idea of a good time nor a way to show the people who are living there and might be relatives to the dead the adequite respect that they would like.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”