Architercture in the Third Reich

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Jan Grönvik

Architercture in the Third Reich

Post by Jan Grönvik » 18 May 2002 14:04

I would like to know if you know of any good books, videos, websites etc
about architecture in the Third Reich. I have seen a few websites portraying
Albert Speer and also a film called The Architecture of Doom but I would like to know more.

Regards,
Jan

Matt Gibbs

Links

Post by Matt Gibbs » 18 May 2002 15:00

Try a visit to some of these sites relating to the architecture of the Third Reich:
Photos of Berlin

http://fcit.coedu.usf.edu/holocaust/res ... BERBLD.HTM
Photos of Munich

http://fcit.coedu.usf.edu/holocaust/res ... MUNBLD.htm

Regards

Matt G

Benoit Douville
Financial supporter

Post by Benoit Douville » 18 May 2002 18:26

Go in the old forum and you will find a very interesting thread by "Thorfinn" about the Architecture in the Third Reich.

Regards

Galahad

Re: German architecture

Post by Galahad » 18 May 2002 22:37

Check out my post, German Buildings, in the Related Websites section. The link takes you to a site that has a lot of pics and info on WW 2 German military architecture.

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 19 May 2002 02:09

Best book I have is a large coffee table size book with 1012 photos.
"Kunst in Deutschland, Architekteur" by Mortimer G. Davidson, 624 pages, approx 10 x 14, HB. Published by Grabert Verlag.

Mark

Kaiser

Post by Kaiser » 19 May 2002 18:56

Check out 'The Good Nazi' - a book about Albert Speer, Hitler's architect. Lots of interesting info...

Dora

Post by Dora » 25 Jan 2004 03:58

Jan,
Check out "Hitler and the Power of Aesthetics" by Federick Spotts (Overlook Oress, 2003).
Dora
800mm

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 25 Jan 2004 11:38

Mark Yerger,

Your recommendation of
"Kunst in Deutschland, Architekteur" by Mortimer G. Davidson, 624 pages, approx 10 x 14, HB. Published by Grabert Verlag.
is hard to find...at Amazon it is out of print plus for others info, it carries
an hefty price of $175. I am interested myself in this book.

Mfg
Annelie

Phil D.

Post by Phil D. » 25 Jan 2004 16:38

UI don't know if you have seen these websites, but here is one about Albert Speer and Mainly Germania:
http://www.dataphone.se/~ms/speer/welcom2.htm

This second url is for a website detailing the architecture of the Nuremburg Nazi Party Rally grounds:
http://www.museen.nuernberg.de/english/ ... ten_e.html

I hope either of these sites help you!

Phil

DrG

Post by DrG » 25 Jan 2004 17:44

Images of the projects of Germania (new name of Berlin), and photos of the Neue Reichskanzlei: http://faculty-web.at.northwestern.edu/ ... index.html. This page is from a study about Totalitarian Art, in other words Nazi, Fascist and Soviet arts: http://faculty-web.at.northwestern.edu/ ... index.html; there are images of Nazi architecture also in other pages of that site, for example the solemn German Pavilion at Paris Expo,1937, that was exactly in front of the Soviet Pavilion.

Versan

Speer...

Post by Versan » 26 Jan 2004 02:18

There is a really interesting book written by Albert Speer himself while he was imprisoned for 21 years.The title of the book is "Inside the Third Reich".
The book contains 31 rare pictures and Speer describes that period of History through his love for architecture, a passion shared by Hitler as well.The book was published for the first time inGreat Britain in 1970 by "Weidenfeld & Nicolson".Lots of info about architechture in Germany of the 30's,to give you some examples,Chapter 5 has the title: "Architectural Megalomania",Chapter 8 is called "The New Chancellery",Chapter 10 is titled ""Our Empire Style" etc.
I really enjoyed the book given to me by a dear friend in Sweden (R.I.P) from his own bookcase.As I opened the book I read in my friend's handwritting "Aten,31-8-71". I said I couldn't accept this present from him since it was so old,a book he had purchased back in '71 but my friend calm as always he said to me "Don't worry,I have another one...it's called 'Albert Speer and the truth' so take it..." :wink:
Anyway,I don't know which book is best,but as long as Architecture is your interest,this is a great book to read...
V.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 27 Jan 2004 19:32

Versan,

You wrote
There is a really interesting book written by Albert Speer himself while he was imprisoned for 21 years.The title of the book is "Inside the Third Reich".
The book contains 31 rare pictures and Speer describes that period of History through his love for architecture, a passion shared by Hitler as well.The book was published for the first time inGreat Britain in 1970 by "Weidenfeld & Nicolson".Lots of info about architechture in Germany of the 30's,to give you some examples,Chapter 5 has the title: "Architectural Megalomania",Chapter 8 is called "The New Chancellery",Chapter 10 is titled ""Our Empire Style" etc.

I have this book myself. Although it does contain some photos
of architecture I am sure over the years the contents of the book has changed somewhat. Now the book is published by First Galahad Books
copyright l970 The Macmillan Comany.

The book now is published in inferior type paper and the quality of the
photos leave much to be desired. I am sure your early edition is of much better quality and more photos?

Annelie

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 27 Jan 2004 19:38

Kunst in Deutschland Architekteur by Mortimer G. Davidson.

I checked around and there are non available "except'

Gleebooks Antiquarian, Music and Secondhand Bookshop
via Books & Collectibles
[Australia] Publisher: 1988 HC Band 1: Skulpturen; Band 2: Malerei (2 vols); Band 3: Architektur. Comprehensive survey of the arts during the Nazi period. Folio. Some col.ill, mostly b&w. Trilingual text. All vols. fine in like dw. $385.20
( All matching books shown )

So if anyone is interested I decided against.

Annelie :)

viriato

Post by viriato » 27 Jan 2004 22:13

Well Annelie we could always look to the bright side of the matter: each book (there are four of them) costs "only" some $93.50... 8)

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 28 Jan 2004 00:11

viriato ,

wrote
Well Annelie we could always look to the bright side of the matter: each book (there are four of them) costs "only" some $93.50...
True, but for me it is a little more than that. I am in Canada so I must
add the exchange therefore each book would be $130.
Not that I wouldn't like to have but, the timing is wrong for me.
A person got to do what they got to do.......... :wink: :wink:
Actually they are not a bad price.

Annelie

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”