Germany broadcasting in occupated territory's

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Xserx

Germany broadcasting in occupated territory's

Post by Xserx » 19 Jun 2002, 17:33

Please, help me! I made work about Germany radio propaganda in World war II and I need information about Germany broadcasting in USSR 1941-1943, and works "Bineta" (?) department in the East in this period. THANK's.

Mike R

Post by Mike R » 19 Jun 2002, 20:52

I don't know if this is the type of radio broadcasting you are looking for, but there was a figure known as "Lord Haw Haw" who made propaganda broadcasts from occupied territory directed at the Allied servicemen stationed in England. I believe his name was William Joyce, but I think there may also be some controversary to that. There was also another broadcaster known as "Axis Sally", I don't know much more about her than that. Likewise, Japan had a broadcaster, "Tokyo Rose". A Hollywood example of her may be heard in the movie "Run Silent, Run Deep" (1958,Clark Gable, Burt Lancaster). All these broadcasters had the intention of trying to decrease Allied moral. From what I remember reading, the Allied servicemen looked forward to hearing the broadcasts solely as a source of humor.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 20 Jun 2002, 18:05

Welcome to the forum.

/Marcus

landserone

Post by landserone » 21 Jun 2002, 12:28

Well, I think you are going to have a hardtime there with German broadcasts in Russia 41-43.

I have a collection of Western Allied WW2 radio news programs from 38 to 45. I have found a few German radio broadcasts in english. Most Lord Haw Haw and at least one a month or so before D-Day.

Since you are doing work on German Broadcasting. Any idea where I could find German english language broadcast 39-44? I have run into a brick wall here.

Regards
War is an extension of state policy by other means!!

Robert Zeller

hmm..

Post by Robert Zeller » 23 Jun 2002, 05:52

Was'nt "tokyo rose" charged with war crimes after the war?

Birgitte Heuschkel

Post by Birgitte Heuschkel » 23 Jun 2002, 06:11

Please tell me the propaganda was at least a bit more innovative than "ze statue of liberty ist kaput".

Mike R

Post by Mike R » 23 Jun 2002, 07:25

Here's a site I found from google that has her background and related info:
http://www.earthstation1.com/Tokyo_Rose.html

-Mike

Mike R

Post by Mike R » 23 Jun 2002, 07:34

Here's some broadcasts by Axis Sally:
http://www.earthstation1.com/Axis_Sally.html

and some by Lord Haw Haw:
http://www.earthstation1.com/Lord_Haw_Haw.html

-Mike

Roger Tidy

German Broadcasting in Occupied Terroritories

Post by Roger Tidy » 23 Jun 2002, 20:02

The Soviet Union was a major target for the German radio from June 1941.

There were two main elements in German broadcasting to the USSR. First, there were overt broadcasts in Russian and Ukrainian. Secondly, a department known as Bureau Concordia operated a number of "secret stations" pretending to be run by Soviet patriots who had become disillusioned with Stalin. One such station, "For Russia" took a Russian nationalist line. Another, "Lenin's Old Guard", pretended to be run by veteran Bolsheviks who believed that Stalin had betrayed them.

There were also broadcasts on the German radio from an organisation describing itself as "The Militant Union of Nationalities of the Russian People". Another station, Radio Metropol, broadcast in various languages of the USSR but did not reveal that it was a German station. It was run by the German Foreign Office rather than the Ministry of Propaganda, which was mainly responsible for other German broadcasts to the USSR.

A Soviet deputy minister who defected to the Germans is known to have been associated with some of the Bureau Concordia broadcasts.

Later in the war, proclamations claiming to come from the renegade Soviet general, Vlasov, were broadcast on the German radio to Russia. As far as I have been able to ascertain, Vlasov's own voice was not used for these broadcasts, so it is difficult to say whether he actually wrote the scripts.

Certainly, there were many defectors and prisoners-of-war from the Soviet Union in German hands. Some of these helped the Germans with their printed and broadcast propaganda.

I do not know how effective these broadcasts were or how many Soviet citizens heard them. Probably the number of listeners was very small because of the shortage of radio sets available in the country. However, according to BBC monitoring reports, some of these broadcasts were jammed, so the Soviet authorities must have been worried. Transcripts of the broadcasts show that many of them were aimed at Soviet soldiers, who were more likely to have access to radio receivers than civilians. The Germans even broadcast programmes aimed at Russian children!

Roger Tidy

German Broadcasting in Occupied Terroritories

Post by Roger Tidy » 23 Jun 2002, 20:04

The Soviet Union was a major target for the German radio from June 1941.

There were two main elements in German broadcasting to the USSR. First, there were overt broadcasts in Russian and Ukrainian. Secondly, a department known as Bureau Concordia operated a number of "secret stations" pretending to be run by Soviet patriots who had become disillusioned with Stalin. One such station, "For Russia" took a Russian nationalist line. Another, "Lenin's Old Guard", pretended to be run by veteran Bolsheviks who believed that Stalin had betrayed them.

There were also broadcasts on the German radio from an organisation describing itself as "The Militant Union of Nationalities of the Russian People". Another station, Radio Metropol, broadcast in various languages of the USSR but did not reveal that it was a German station. It was run by the German Foreign Office rather than the Ministry of Propaganda, which was mainly responsible for other German broadcasts to the USSR.

A Soviet deputy minister who defected to the Germans is known to have been associated with some of the Bureau Concordia broadcasts.

Later in the war, proclamations claiming to come from the renegade Soviet general, Vlasov, were broadcast on the German radio to Russia. As far as I have been able to ascertain, Vlasov's own voice was not used for these broadcasts, so it is difficult to say whether he actually wrote the scripts.

Certainly, there were many defectors and prisoners-of-war from the Soviet Union in German hands. Some of these helped the Germans with their printed and broadcast propaganda.

I do not know how effective these broadcasts were or how many Soviet citizens heard them. Probably the number of listeners was very small because of the shortage of radio sets available in the country. However, according to BBC monitoring reports, some of these broadcasts were jammed, so the Soviet authorities must have been worried. Transcripts of the broadcasts show that many of them were aimed at Soviet soldiers, who were more likely to have access to radio receivers than civilians. The Germans even broadcast programmes aimed at Russian children!

Xserx

Post by Xserx » 16 Sep 2002, 16:30

landserone wrote:Well, I think you are going to have a hardtime there with German broadcasts in Russia 41-43.

I have a collection of Western Allied WW2 radio news programs from 38 to 45. I have found a few German radio broadcasts in english. Most Lord Haw Haw and at least one a month or so before D-Day.

Since you are doing work on German Broadcasting. Any idea where I could find German english language broadcast 39-44? I have run into a brick wall here.

Regards

Look at: http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/index.htm

Xserx

Re: German Broadcasting in Occupied Terroritories

Post by Xserx » 16 Sep 2002, 16:33

Roger Tidy wrote:The Soviet Union was a major target for the German radio from June 1941.

Should thank you for the information, given to me, on German radiopropagation in Russia. I would be extremely grateful to you, if you have specified the monographies and sources, from which have gathered these items of information. The business that in USSR was not published of any work devoted to the given question. The works of the foreign historians, which to me managed to be found, practically do not mention German broadcasting in territory USSR. Only at A. Briggs in the third volume (The War of Words) his fundamental work "The history of broadcasting in the United Kingdom" there are some mentions that Germany conducted purposeful radiopropagation against USSR. As to activity of organization "Bineta", the mention of it to me managed to be found in materials of the Nuremberg Tribunal (interrogation Fritzsche by the main prosecutor from USSR Rudenko). There it is underlined, that this organization was created and coped in common by Ministry of propagation and Ministry on East territories. This department answered for organization of all propagation in East. Thus Fritzsche has declared, that the decisive influence of the Ministry of propagation was kept. I shall be glad, if you can give more detailed information on activity, to structure and spheres of activity of this organization or will specify sources, from which I could gather the similar information. Beforehand I thank!

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”