radio shows

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Metatron

radio shows

Post by Metatron » 22 Dec 2003, 21:04

What were some popular radio shows during the 3rd Reich?
Anyone ever heard opf a broadcast called "The SS Speaks"?

Silviu

radio shows

Post by Silviu » 22 Dec 2003, 22:16

Probably the most popular show was the "Radio Request show for the Wehrmacht", where Goebbles, gen.Dietl and others gave speeches. Karayan and other musicians and singers gave memorable live performances. The show was aired every Sunday.
Silviu

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 29 Dec 2003, 02:06

Are those radio show available somewhere on C.D. or tape? That would be great to be able to listen to it.

Regards

bonzen

Post by bonzen » 29 Dec 2003, 03:17

An attempt was made to counter the popularity of Big Bands such as Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman with a German "knock-off". This band was featured on the radio playing "Swing". Between the songs was German propaganda. Many of the musicians were Jews, who were, literally playing for their lives. I've heard a recording and after you've heard the real Big Bands this exercise was a waste of time.

Westwall

Post by Westwall » 29 Dec 2003, 22:29

Benoit Douville wrote:Are those radio show available somewhere on C.D. or tape? That would be great to be able to listen to it.

Regards

check this one out :

http://www.tomahawkfilms.com/page_2.html

or

http://www.ihffilm.com/ihf/wunschkonzert.html

Landser

Post by Landser » 29 Dec 2003, 23:47

bonzen wrote:An attempt was made to counter the popularity of Big Bands such as Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman with a German "knock-off". This band was featured on the radio playing "Swing". Between the songs was German propaganda. Many of the musicians were Jews, who were, literally playing for their lives. I've heard a recording and after you've heard the real Big Bands this exercise was a waste of time.
You seem to have a vivid imagination! There was Schlagermusik with a Jazz beat all along,with many modern German bands.I doubt if many ever heard of Goodman or Miller,much less some "...literally playing for their life" on radio.
The most popular radio broadcast was on saturday evenings from Soldatensender Belgrad.

Silviu

I think you got Goebbels mixed up with the Wunschkozert anouncer Goedecke.No speaches at konzerts unless special events.

bonzen

Post by bonzen » 30 Dec 2003, 04:29

double post :roll:
Last edited by bonzen on 30 Dec 2003, 06:02, edited 1 time in total.

bonzen

Post by bonzen » 30 Dec 2003, 04:57

"You seem to have a vivid imagination! There was Schlagermusik with a Jazz beat all along,with many modern German bands.I doubt if many ever heard of Goodman or Miller,much less some "...literally playing for their life" on radio.
The most popular radio broadcast was on saturday evenings from Soldatensender Belgrad."
i've got the vivid imagination? Jazz broadcast on German radio performed by "modern German Bands?

Through World War II, jazz — the music that German propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels called "the art of the subhuman" — stayed stubbornly alive in Nazi-occupied Europe, a bright symbol of resistance. When the Germans barred even the use of the word "jazz," the Hot Jazz Club of Belgium renamed itself the Rhythmic Club and kept on swinging. And when the Germans banned the performance of all American music in Paris, local musicians simply changed the titles of the tunes they loved: In the Mood became Ambiance; Holy Smoke became Joyeuse fumee; and Count Basie's Jumpin' at the Woodside turned into Dansant dans la Clairiere. Swing was the "magic word" for "young people everywhere," the French jazz enthusiast Charles Delaunay recalled. "Swing was on everyone's lips, you swore by it. Everything that was at all original or redolent of American life was baptized 'swing.'"

In 1942, Goebbels changed tactics. Realizing that he could not do away with jazz, he resolved to turn it to the advantage of the Reich, and ordered his ministry to organize its own radio swing band, then aim its broadcasts of familiar American tunes like Makin' Whoopee at the Allies with new and poisonous anti-Semitic lyrics added:

Another war, another profit, another Jewish business trick,
Another season, another reason for makin' whoopee!
We throw our German names away,
We are the kikes of USA.
You are the goys, folks,
We are the boys, folks —
We're makin' whoopee!
In Germany itself, young fans called "swing kids" continued to defy the Gestapo all through the war, meeting in secret, playing records, tuning in to Allied radio, and dancing. The German-born jazz pianist Jutta Hipp later struggled to explain to an American interviewer how important the music had been to her and to her friends during the massive Allied bombing of Germany. "You won't be able to understand this because you were born [in America], but to us, jazz is some kind of religion. We really had to fight for it, and I remember nights when we didn't go down to the bomb shelter because we listened to [jazz] records. We just had the feeling that you were not our enemies, and even though the bombs crashed around us ... we felt safe."[/quote]

Did they know of Benny goodman and glenn miller...of course. so the German Govt. set up something to combat the popularity

if you have any further interest you can purchase the cd here http://www.ihffilm.com/ihf/cd111040.html or here http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/st ... 48-5708948

Landser

Post by Landser » 30 Dec 2003, 11:19

Bonzen wrote:
<<< i've got the vivid imagination? Jazz broadcast on German radio performed by "modern German Bands?
>>>>

We are talking music on RADIO..
The modern german dance band Lutz Templin alias Karl Schwedler, was popular and on radio but only playing hits with a jazz beat,like Foxtrotts etc.And he was'nt the only one.
Jazz or Swing was not popular at all and still is only liked by a minority.Whatever Charly and his Orchestra recorded was never released or played than. Only after the war some records were made.Lutz Templins recordings are still played and liked.I don't say that Jazz did'n have followers but you probably would have been able to count them very easely.Only after the war it was played a lot but never caught on with the masses.

What you cite are isolated instances or underground events which had no bearing on the topic.

The nickname was Negermusik.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”