The Day The SS Saw And Reviewed A Superman Comic!

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Psycho Mike

The Day The SS Saw And Reviewed A Superman Comic!

Post by Psycho Mike » 20 Jan 2004 17:00

http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/superman.htm

Back before World War 2 when the Nazi's and Marxists worked together, the Nazi's found a copy of Superman in which both Hitler and Stalin got their butt kicked.

Then the Nazi's printed this review!

Make sure you check out the link to the Superman pages at the bottom of the first paragraph (the second page has Stalin and Hitler). Then read the Nazi review!

Paul Stamzer

Post by Paul Stamzer » 20 Jan 2004 17:22

I'd heard about this Superman comic but never saw it before. Interesting stuff. Nice how BOTH Hitler and Stalin were judged guilty, but in real life Uncle Joe was our pal very shortly after this. Sort of like Saddam was once considered a "good guy"!

Thanks...

vogelbird

Superman Comic

Post by vogelbird » 20 Jan 2004 19:17

Psycho Mike; that is amazing! I dont think I've laughed as much all week (it's been a bad one!!) as when I read that; the review that is. It is so typical of the contempt by the Nazi Propagandists. Still, they took it all apart quite skillfully and showed it up as the valueless excess that it is (sorry Superman fans) but alas it now has it's place in history!
Vogelbird :D :D

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 20 Jan 2004 21:17

Captain America fought the Nazi's too.

I think the baddest was "Sergeant Rock" he manged to kill at least 3 Tigers and shoot down 1 nazi plane every issue. Rambo had nothing on Sgt Rock.

My favorite was , of course, "The Haunted Tank"- wish I still had all those.
also "Weird War Tales" was real good too.

vogelbird

War Comics

Post by vogelbird » 20 Jan 2004 22:27

Sgt Rock. He brings back memories! Is he still going?Who was the weird looking dude with the bright red handlebar tash? What was his name? One episode I remember, Sgt Rock was in the desert and took a shower from a gasoline can at the risk of ignition in the searing heat, to convince the observing DAK that they had water to waste on bathing. The predictable result as far as I can remember was that the Germans came pouring over in their hundreds to surrender and to quench their thirsts! Does anyone remember the tv series "Combat" starring Vic morrow? It used to make my dear old Dad cringe. I can still hear his comments now.
Regards Vogelbird

Dan H

Post by Dan H » 21 Jan 2004 00:57

I've never seen or heard of this comic before - it is very interesting indeed! The SS review is rather intersting as well. They should have become comic critiquer's instead of doing all that military stuff... :P

/daniel

Psycho Mike

Post by Psycho Mike » 21 Jan 2004 01:06

The Sgt. Rock comics have been put together- in a hard cover book!
http://www.comicreaders.com/mainstreamr ... rock.shtml

I have collected hours of the COMBAT show- first episode I saw was about GI's killing unarmed German soldiers. I thought that was pretty strong stuff for America in 1962! The episode was directed by Robert Altman - I like the show and it still stands up. You can catch episodes on the Action channel- just type in COMBAT! in the search.
http://www.starz.com/se/action/index.html

If you'd like to know more about COMBAT! This site is great!
http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/main.html

ChristopherPerrien

Re: War Comics

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 21 Jan 2004 02:40

vogelbird wrote:Sgt Rock. He brings back memories! Is he still going?Who was the weird looking dude with the bright red handlebar tash? What was his name? One episode I remember, Sgt Rock was in the desert and took a shower from a gasoline can at the risk of ignition in the searing heat, to convince the observing DAK that they had water to waste on bathing. The predictable result as far as I can remember was that the Germans came pouring over in their hundreds to surrender and to quench their thirsts! Does anyone remember the tv series "Combat" starring Vic morrow? It used to make my dear old Dad cringe. I can still hear his comments now.
Regards Vogelbird
That was "Sgt. Fury and the Howling Commandos" which was an offshoot of the Sgt. Rock Comic,

Panzer94

Post by Panzer94 » 21 Jan 2004 08:04

Obviously,the Germans made propaganda,but I wonder if they had any comics in the Third Reich? Comics in which the heroes defeated the Allies,communists,jews;etc.

rh_LiteVixeN

Post by rh_LiteVixeN » 21 Jan 2004 21:39

Psycho Mike

Post by Psycho Mike » 21 Jan 2004 22:49

What is funny about this is when the censorship of comics was put into effect in the 1950's, guess what Superman was accused of being?

http://art-bin.com/art/awertham.html
Dr. Wertham does accuse Superman of being a fascist, Batman and Robin of being a homosexual fantasy of a man and a boy living together, and Wonder Woman of being just plain kinky
Clearly the SS would beg to differ!

Rob - wssob2

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 23 Jan 2004 16:58

Hi Psycho Mike - thanks for posting. I hadn't heard of the "Calvin: Minds in the Making" German Propaganda Archive before, and its definitely worth bookmarking.

I found the "Black Corps" review is more depressing than funny, given what in a few short years the SS would be doing to "uncircumcized chaps" all over Europe.

- Rob

Daniel L

Re: The Day The SS Saw And Reviewed A Superman Comic!

Post by Daniel L » 24 Jan 2004 14:34

Psycho Mike wrote:Back before World War 2 when the Nazi's and Marxists worked together,
What are you referring to?

Best regards/ Daniel

Psycho Mike

Post by Psycho Mike » 24 Jan 2004 16:47

Howdy Dan. Happy new year.

The Hitler Stalin peace pact would have been in effect when this comic came out. That was also when the papers like THE PEOPLE'S WORLD, THE MASSES and THE DAILY WORKER praised Hitler to the skies. As far as I know, all the communist papers of the day embraced Hitler after the pact was signed.

I think what is interesting about the comic book is that it came out BEFORE we entered the war!

Don't know if you care for them or not but THE PIXIES are re-forming! Tour begins in May. I don't think NIRVANA would exist without THE PIXIES. Heck, 90% of so-called alt rock should be sending them a royalty check!

vogelbird

Re: The Day The SS Saw And Reviewed A Superman Comic!

Post by vogelbird » 24 Jan 2004 17:14

D. Löwenhamn wrote:
Psycho Mike wrote:Back before World War 2 when the Nazi's and Marxists worked together,
What are you referring to?

Best regards/ Daniel

We wait with baited breath.........The Russo-German pact, Division of Poland???
Vogelbird

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”