By what means was Adolf Wagner's death announced?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Cory C

By what means was Adolf Wagner's death announced?

Post by Cory C » 16 Feb 2004, 03:50

Was Adolf Wagner's death announced over the radio; on a front page newsbanner, or both? Does anyone have the full text of the announcement of his death?

Thanks.
~Cory

Max

Post by Max » 16 Feb 2004, 12:00

Some info on the life/death of Adolf Wagner
Adolf Wagner was born in 1890 and Gauleiter of Greater Munich from 1929 until 1931, and of Munich-Upper Bavaria from 1932 until 1944. Wagner studied mining at a technical school before World War I. During the war he was severely wounded and lost most of his right leg. After he was discharged, he entered the mining business. In 1922 he joined the Nazi party. For his part in the Beer-Hall Putsch he was briefly imprisoned. In 1928 he was made administrator of Upper Pfalz. One year later he also became Gauleiter of Munich. The Upper Pfalz and Munich combined on November 1, 1930 to form Gau Munich-Upper Bavaria. He held this position until his death in 1944. After the Nazis assumed power, Wagner was appointed Bavarian Minister of the Interior and Deputy Prime Minister of Bavaria. In 1936 he also became Bavarian Minister of Education and Culture, He held the rank of SA Obergruppenfuehrer. Wagner was intelligent and feisty and one of the few people who addressed Hitler by his first name. In many ways he was a radical Nazi. He was frequently anti-Semitic and anti-Catholic. In June of 1942 Wagner was delivering a speech very hostile to the Catholic church. He concluded with the remark: "If everything I have said is not true, may the Lord God strike me down!" Moments later he suffered a massive stroke. Although he could not move or speak, he gradually recovered to a degree sufficient to enrage Martin Bormann and Wagner's appointed successor, Paul Giesler. Wagner refused to give up his position and issued orders as if nothing had happened. The Fuehrer stood by his old friend and allowed him to retain the title Gauleiter until his death on April 12, 1944, but insisted that Giesler carry out the affairs of the district. Bormann ordered that all of Wagner's orders be totally ignored. After Wagner's death, he was accorded an enormous state funeral.
http://www.german-militaria.com/RareMil ... rItems.htm

Picture
http://www.thirdreichruins.com/munich.htm
Geoff Walden's excellent site
Attachments
DeutschesMuseum.jpg
The Kongressaal of the Deutsches Museum was the scene of a state funeral for Adolf Wagner, Nazi leader of Munich and Upper Bavaria, 17 April 1944. (National Archives)
DeutschesMuseum.jpg (18.82 KiB) Viewed 923 times

Max

Post by Max » 16 Feb 2004, 12:18

Interesting research site

Shows how Wagner fits into the scheme of things with social network diagrams.

http://www.namebase.org/main1/Adolf-Wagner.html

Cory C

Post by Cory C » 17 Feb 2004, 03:34

Even though my question still hasn't technically been answered I thank you very much for the extra info on Wagner, Max. I didn't know he lost most of his right leg in WW1! :)

~Cory

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”