Carnaval during the war,

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
_The_General_

Carnaval during the war,

Post by _The_General_ » 20 Feb 2004 13:18

Tomorrow Carnaval burst loose in the Netherlands and Germany,

Did the germans celibrate it during the war? and if so does anyone have picture's?

Piet Duits

Post by Piet Duits » 20 Feb 2004 13:26

Hi,

I watched a programm on the ZDF the other night about the history of Carnaval in Köln.
Just before the war and directly after the war it was celebrated, but during the war it was not appropriate to celebrate while the husbands, friends, sons and brothers were getting killed at the front.
Remarkable that like I wrote directly after the war it was celebrated in the ruined city like nothing happened.

In our country itself it wasn't celebrated as well (as far as I know it).

HTH,

Piet

Durand

Post by Durand » 21 Feb 2004 14:05

Hallo,

I think it possible that whether or not Carnaval/Fasching was observed may have varied from city to city or region to region and that, if so, the celebrations would have been limited. For example, in Frederick Taylor's "Dresden: Tuesday, February 13, 1945", reports that it was Fasching and that prior to the first raid that night there were festive activitites in Dresden, such as decorations in stairwells and children in costumes.

Yours is an interesting question and I look forward to reading other replies on the thread.

Regards,

Durand

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”